PDA

View Full Version : any tips on buying a trampoline

pirate44
06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
other than the typical "DONT" answer. ive seen some as low as a couple hundred to as high as 600+. what is reasonable for a 3 year old. i have got to save my furniture before he breaks it all. his 3rd birthday is in october and thats when we'd consider getting one.

pirate4state
06-13-2006, 10:02 AM
DON'T :evillaugh :eyetwitch

kaorder1999
06-13-2006, 10:03 AM
had one growing up and loved it! I just had a the cheaper round one with the blue mat cover over the springs. I have no idea what they cost now!

STANG RED
06-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Just be sure and get one with pads on the springs and a net, to keep him from flying off.
Also, after ours was about 3 to 4 years old, we had to get the bed restitched by a tarp making company. The cotton threads had dry rotted, and one day my daughter had a couple of her friends on there with her, the stitching busted, and they all hit the ground pretty hard. Luckily no one was hurt. Just something to keep an eye on though.

lepfan
06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Do you know that owning a trampoline has the same affect on your homeowners insurance as having a swimming pool? We almost got dropped because we did not know that we were supposed to report that we had one.

pirate44
06-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
DON'T :evillaugh :eyetwitch
:mad:

AP Panther Fan
06-13-2006, 10:42 AM
The trampoline in our yard is probably one of the best (most used) things I have ever bought my kids.

I purchased the 14' one from Walmart, with the spring covers, but didn't purchase the net to go around it.

One of the disadvantages of a trampoline (other than the possibility for injuries) is that you have to move the darn thing everytime you mow the yard. Still well worth the time and trouble IMHO.

Emerson1
06-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Make sure if they don't have something already to tie down the top part of the trampoline to the legs that run across the bottom. I remember when we had ours whenever there was a storm the top part would lift off the bottom part. Might wanna secure it to the ground to, one day a couple years ago someone's down the street was tangled up in the powerlines.

Ranger Mom
06-13-2006, 11:04 AM
For a 3 year old I would think a round one would be best....I have had both, round and rectungular (rectangle has WAY more bounce)! I agree with the pads over the springs and the safety net around it!

Random thought...........

watching a trampoline bounce golf ball size hailstones back up into the sky during a freak storm is awesome!!

Emerson1
06-13-2006, 11:14 AM
My neighbor had a square one and I remember him going pretty high, probably not fit for a 3 year old.

They should make heavy duty nets for trampolines so you can throw people into it.

pirate44
06-13-2006, 12:31 PM
all sounds like great advice. my insurance guy is in Robstown and i dont plan on tellin him ;)

i found a nice and affordable one on Academy's website. i hope its not one of those things where you get what you pay for.

http://www.academy.com/images/products/220/0411/0411-00673-0001b.jpg

the enclosure is sold seperately for an extra $90

wos fan1
06-13-2006, 01:37 PM
You have more room on round ones. Get a 14 foot.

Old Tiger
06-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Get they type that they use in the olympics and train your kid for the olympics.

pirate44
06-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Get they type that they use in the olympics and train your kid for the olympics.
they have Olympic trampoline events? :confused:

District303aPastPlayer
06-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
they have Olympic trampoline events? :confused:

vault

Emerson1
06-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
vault
The vault is where they jump from a spring ramp over the big block thing.

There is an actual event in the olympics where they are doing flips and stuff on a square trampoline.

pirate44
06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The vault is where they jump from a spring ramp over the big block thing.

There is an actual event in the olympics where they are doing flips and stuff on a square trampoline.
that sounds fun

pirate4state
06-13-2006, 03:09 PM
that sounds fun It was pretty interesting to watch. :nerd: Really. I had no idea it was an olympic sport until the last summer games.

pirate44
06-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It was pretty interesting to watch. :nerd: Really. I had no idea it was an olympic sport until the last summer games. was it an exhibition type event or a permanent one? is there syncro jumping? mixed doubles jumping? etc? do they do it to music?

pirate4state
06-13-2006, 03:17 PM
was it an exhibition type event or a permanent one? is there syncro jumping? mixed doubles jumping? etc? do they do it to music? for more info click here (http://www.usgyms.net/rules_trampoline.htm)

video footage (http://www.olympic.org/uk/utilities/multimedia/gallery/results_uk.asp?entid=81&LinkName=TRAMPOLINE&MediaType=vid)

lepfan
06-14-2006, 12:27 AM
my insurance guy is in Robstown and i dont plan on tellin him ;)

I am sure this will not be an issue with you right now....just be careful who and how many at one time you let jump on it....so called friends tend to rear their ugly heads when it comes to their kids getting scraped up at your house....Oh....and HAVE FUN with it! They can be loads of fun...not to mention laying on them at night and watching the stars....and other things....

DU_stud04
06-14-2006, 01:38 AM
dig a hole and make the trapaline ground level.......i always thought that would be awesome....good luck with your trampoline

kepdawg
06-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Get the net! I have bad memories of being bounced!

Ranger Mom
06-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
dig a hole and make the trapaline ground level.......i always thought that would be awesome....good luck with your trampoline

That's what we did with our round one!! The ground didn't hurt so bad when you hit it that way, but the dogs made it their own personal bed!

Now that hole is expanded and our 24' swimming pool is in the ground.

DU_stud04
06-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That's what we did with our round one!! The ground didn't hurt so bad when you hit it that way, but the dogs made it their own personal bed!

Now that hole is expanded and our 24' swimming pool is in the ground.

sweet! ive always wanted too see that:D

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-14-2006, 01:29 PM
my advice on buying a trampoline is "get a good one." have funn. (thats some sort of chinese food i think):D