PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Change in Cuero ......................

44INAROW
06-13-2006, 08:57 AM
for baseball that is :)
Good Luck Coach Holder :cool:

The Victoria Advocate - http://TheVictoriaAdvocate.com
Holder looks to bring offense to Cuero baseball
MIKE FORMAN - Advocate Sports Writer
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Cuero athletic director and head football coach Mark Reeve sees similarities between the football program when he arrived before the 2003 season and the current state of the baseball program.
"We feel like we have some talented young kids in the baseball program who are ready to have some success like we've had in football," Reeve said.

Reeve believes he's taken a step toward ensuring the baseball program becomes a success by hiring Scott Holder from Thorndale as head baseball coach.

"I think it's a great opportunity for our kids in baseball and football," Reeve said. "It's always great when you can get a guy who has the kind of credentials he has. He can help our baseball program get to the next level."

Holder coached at Cameron Yoe for six seasons, three as the head baseball coach, before going to Thorndale for the 2004-05 school year as the head baseball coach and leading his alma mater to the 2005 Class 1A state championship.

Thorndale returned to the state tournament this season before losing to eventual Class 1A state champion Anderson-Shiro in the semifinals.

Holder, who played on Thorndale's 1989 Class 1A state championship football team, will replace Jerry Pyles, who resigned after the season to take a coaching position at Ranger. The Gobblers had a 10-12 record this season and finished fourth in District 26-3A. Cuero last qualified for the baseball playoffs in 2003.

"The first thing you have to do is sell it to the kids," said Holder, who had a 65-11 record in his two seasons at Thorndale. "They have to believe they can win. You can't replace confidence. Then, you have to establish some kind of consistency. You have to be consistent to win. You've also got to have enthusiasm and involve the young kids in the program. That way, you'll continue to be successful."

Holder's teams at Thorndale were known for scoring a lot of runs and he hopes his Cuero teams do the same.

"I'm an offensive coach," Holder said. "I believe you have to put runs on the board to beat people. We're going to work on offense and work on offense. I think we'll be good enough with our pitching and our defense to win in the end. I want everybody in our lineup to be a hard out."

Holder plans to visit Cuero sometime this week and is looking forward to getting started.

"I'm excited about the overall program and what it offers," Holder said. "I've been a baseball coach but I'm also a football guy. I like them both. I don't know a lot about the players, but I think with the players we have there we can win."

RiverRat19
06-13-2006, 10:51 AM
I guess he's not from the "Defense wins championships" school. Of course, Thorndale did win a championship under him so it worked there. Good luck and best wishes.

With the talent Cuero has year in and year out, it is amazing that they don't contend for the regional championship in EVERY sport played. It seems that Coach Reeve is trying to make sure every program is contending at that level... They're pretty much there, just need BB, Bsb & Tennis on board....

Gobbla2001
06-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Sure Coach Pyles will be missed... he came in my senior year and did a great job with the baseball team... (24-6 or something? I forget)...

Hopefully this is the right move, sure sounds like it...

Good luck to Coach Holder and Coach Pyles...

gobbler84
06-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Met him yesterday...He's a pretty cool, laid back guy!

Gobbla2001
06-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
Met him yesterday...He's a pretty cool, laid back guy!

Shouldn't you be lifting weights right now? I don't think you're strong enough for the season ahead :p

CenTexSports
06-15-2006, 03:41 PM
I have seen him coach and was not impressed. He did not coach fundamentals. He had some really good kids at Thorndale and he did a good job with them. Good luck to him in his new job.