PDA

View Full Version : ***Breaking News***UIL Legislative Council Agrees to a One Site Title expirement !!

PHS Wildcats
06-12-2006, 11:23 PM
For Clas 5A Only.........

An organizing championship committee will make various decisions on the nuts and bolts beyond the date and venue of the championship weekend.

The committee will be made up of coaches, athletic director, THSCA, AD-Association, and members of the UIL.

Dave Stephenson of Titus Sports Marketing will spearhead the organizing committee. The UIL and THSCA has asked the championship committee to contact Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio to reserve their venues for Saturday, December 23rd, and the committee will eventually select one of the three sites to host the Class 5-A Division One and Division Two Championship Games.

The two-year experiment will begin this season.

pirate4state
06-12-2006, 11:25 PM
:thinking: Can you provide a link to this *breaking news*???

GreenMonster
06-12-2006, 11:26 PM
I like it.

District303aPastPlayer
06-12-2006, 11:26 PM
they need to do this with all classes...

PHS Wildcats
06-12-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't know if I can put another website on here, so If I'm breaking the rules, please delete this

smoaky.com

Emerson1
06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
What happens if el paso and amarillo somehow make it to the state champion and the site is scheduled for houston?
I hope it happens just so this stupid idea is shot down.

Atleast the 5a games will be on TV.

DU_stud04
06-13-2006, 12:30 AM
i like this, 1 champ is all that is needed

mistanice
06-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i like this, 1 champ is all that is needed

?

Emerson1
06-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Wow, they didn't decide to have 1 champion, they decided to have 1 location for both state championships predetermined.

DU_stud04
06-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
?

yea, i cant read........leave me alone....:weeping:

im sorry for my stupidity, i read 1 champ(somehow) not 1 site

Old Tiger
06-13-2006, 01:05 AM
This will help SLC if they decide to play it at Texas Stadium.

raider red 2000
06-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
What happens if el paso and amarillo somehow make it to the state champion and the site is scheduled for houston?
I hope it happens just so this stupid idea is shot down.

Atleast the 5a games will be on TV.

they are both region 1.

but houston schools can be 2 and 3.

they might have to travel to play.

KTJ
06-13-2006, 01:37 AM
Your credibility is shot with me until you can provide a link to back up this "breaking news."

3afan
06-13-2006, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
they are both region 1.

but houston schools can be 2 and 3.

they might have to travel to play.

a more realistic case and one that is sure to happen is one team traveling 50 miles and the other 500+ miles ... thats not really fair - thats why the pre-arranged site is probably a bad idea

Old Green
06-13-2006, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
a more realistic case and one that is sure to happen is one team traveling 50 miles and the other 500+ miles ... thats not really fair - thats why the pre-arranged site is probably a bad idea High cost of fuel too will kill this idea.

District303aPastPlayer
06-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Your credibility is shot with me until you can provide a link to back up this "breaking news."

http://www.smoaky.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=56118

he posted it early in the thread too.

AggieJohn
06-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I don't know if I can put another website on here, so If I'm breaking the rules, please delete this

smoaky.com yes you can we'll back you up

STANG RED
06-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I can see this being extremely unfair to teams that may have to travel many hours, compared to some that may only have to travel across town. I dont like it at all.
I understand what they are trying to do, but the lagistics of it will almost always be unfair to one of the teams.
For instance, if Hutto and Tatum were pre-determined to meet in Austin or San Antonio last year, Hutto would have basically been playing a home game.
Leave it alone!!!

Emerson1
06-13-2006, 09:15 AM
They don't want to be bothered again by Highland Park's whining.

Adidas410s
06-13-2006, 09:43 AM
this sounds like another UIL OWCHI moment!

18handicap
06-13-2006, 11:01 AM
I know Louisiana is a much smaller state travel wise, but they have played all of their state championship games in the Superdome in New Orleans for many years (until last season -- moved to Shreveport temporarily). And yes, we did have Ruston playing West Monroe in the AAAAA championship one year (15 miles apart playing 250 miles away), but the fans still showed up -- it was an honor for them to play in the Superdome and the fans liked going to New Orleans. As a coach, it was nice too because you could stay all evening Friday and all day Saturday and watch all 5 championship games.

Adidas410s
06-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
I know Louisiana is a much smaller state travel wise, but they have played all of their state championship games in the Superdome in New Orleans for many years (until last season -- moved to Shreveport temporarily). And yes, we did have Ruston playing West Monroe in the AAAAA championship one year (15 miles apart playing 250 miles away), but the fans still showed up -- it was an honor for them to play in the Superdome and the fans liked going to New Orleans. As a coach, it was nice too because you could stay all evening Friday and all day Saturday and watch all 5 championship games.

This is true...but 250 miles is small in comparison to the distance a Midland Lee or Amarillo would have to travel to get to Houston...560 miles and 605 miles respectively. This could make for some EXPENSIVE travel situations!

KTJ
06-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
This is true...but 250 miles is small in comparison to the distance a Midland Lee or Amarillo would have to travel to get to Houston...560 miles and 605 miles respectively. This could make for some EXPENSIVE travel situations!

The same could be said if Amarillo or an El Paso school made it to State for Basketball.

pirate4state
06-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
The same could be said if Amarillo or an El Paso school made it to State for Basketball. or baseball, softball, golf & track

:thinking: Has any El Paso school ever made it to a state meet/game/event that is held in Austin? :thinking: hmmmmmm...

LH Panther Mom
06-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
or baseball, softball, golf & track

:thinking: Has any El Paso school ever made it to a state meet/game/event that is held in Austin? :thinking: hmmmmmm...
I don't know about recently, but a bunch of years ago EP Burgess had some guys at the state track meet.

Adidas410s
06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I know that El Paso has sent people in track and tennis often. I can go buy a new Dave Campbell's and look it up for football.

Ranger Mom
06-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Midland schools are gonna have to travel, no matter what, aren't they?? (unless it was at Grande)!!

I don't know....when Greenwood played Daingerfield, I was ecstatic to drive the 330 miles to Coppell compared to their 152 miles.

Same thing with the State Championship, the fact that Bandera drive 220 miles to our 385 miles to Waco, didn't bother me in the least!

It was a road trip I will never forget!!!!

STANG RED
06-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Midland schools are gonna have to travel, no matter what, aren't they?? (unless it was at Grande)!!

I don't know....when Greenwood played Daingerfield, I was ecstatic to drive the 330 miles to Coppell compared to their 152 miles.

Same thing with the State Championship, the fact that Bandera drive 220 miles to our 385 miles to Waco, didn't bother me in the least!

Yes, but just imagine if you would have had to gone to Houston RM. I guarantee, many of your faithfuls wouldnt have been able to make the trip. The deep south and gulf coast teams would have the same problem with going to Dallas I would imagine.

KTJ
06-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Yes, but just imagine if you would have had to gone to Houston RM. I guarantee, many of your faithfuls wouldnt have been able to make the trip. The deep south and gulf coast teams would have the same problem with going to Dallas I would imagine.

I would think if a team from the Valley made it to State, they'd be so excited that they would cancel school that day and everyone in town would make the trip.

They Valley rarely gets represented in anything, except soccer, so they'd be really excited and would drive to Lubbock if they had to. (Didn't a valley school make it to state 2-3 years ago in volleyball? Harlingen South???)

LH Panther Mom
06-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Nor will some of the rest of us. :D

Adidas410s
06-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
They Valley rarely gets represented in anything, except soccer, so they'd be really excited and would drive to Lubbock if they had to. (Didn't a valley school make it to state 2-3 years ago in volleyball? Harlingen South???)

This is very true. Heck look at the crowds that Falfurrias took to state in baseball and they aren't really into the RGV area. I remember when Hidalgo was one of the top music programs in the state (regardless of classification), it seemed like their entire town was in Waco for the SMBC (State Marching Band Contest) when they were winning it 3 or 4 times in a row.

PHS Wildcats
06-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Honestly, I could careless about you thinking I'm put up bogus reports. I done nothing but put facts on this board since I've joined and to have you say something like that. I couldn't careless. ANYWAY, here's a little more info on the subject from Smoaky.com for the people that want to read this.

UIL's 5A State Championships Headed To Pre-Determined Stadium

A proposal originated by TITUS Sports Marketing was delivered from the University Interscholastic League to its Legislative Council last night in Austin, requesting the approval of a pre-determined stadium for the Class 5A Div. I and Div. II Football Championships. The motion, which passed unanimously by the Legislative Council, is for a two-year term. The motion also included the formation of a Championships Committee, which will have decision-making abilities regarding components of the Class 5A Div. I and II Football Championships, including site selection, kickoff times, and extension of the motion after the original two-year period.

The UIL is expected to officially announce members of the Championships Committee on Tuesday, with their first meeting later this month.

Below is an overview of the motion which TITUS Sports Marketing made available to the Legislative Council on Monday night. TITUS Sports Marketing met with the UIL and the Texas High School Coaches Association on multipel occasions in formulating the proposal, and last week met with athletic directors and head football coaches at a handful of 5A schools, including Southlake Carroll, Katy, Converse Judson, Smithson Valley, Tyler Lee, Lufkin, The Woodlands, Corpus Christi ISD, Plano ISD, North East ISD and Round Rock ISD, requesting their evaluation of our proposal.

"We’re excited to outline this outstanding opportunity to you tonight in Austin.

"Your approval for the UIL’s Class 5A football championship games (Div. I and II) to be held at a pre-determined stadium will change the course of Texas high school history for the state’s largest classification of football.

“Change” as it’s mentioned here is a definite positive, because it relates to simplification.

"TITUS has spent more than five years formulating this opportunity for the UIL and its 5A-member high schools. We started the process when we created the Texas Football Classic at the Alamodome in August of 1999, a season-opening event featuring the state’s top high schools. We have visited out-of-state high school football championship games and along the way have met with representatives of the UIL and the Texas High School Coaches Association, as well as some of the state’s most respected head football coaches and athletic directors at the Class 5A level.

"The foundation of TITUS is assisting Texas high schools. It may be marketing and selling scoreboard sponsorships or sideline signage or producing football banquets or creating a naming rights opportunity for a stadium or even bringing a national-television opportunity to the school’s football program.

"Whatever the circumstance, we’re committed to partnering with Texas high schools.

"One of our primary objectives in working with the UIL to bring its Class 5A football championships to a pre-determined stadium is to simplify the process for participating schools and to bring added excitement to their local communities.

"We know that football coaches across the Lone Star State often label themselves as “control freaks.” These same coaches probably pre-planned a year in advance with their future spouse the time and place for their wedding. And weeks before the birth of their first child, they probably had their bags packed at the front door ready for the hospital.

"Coaches and athletic directors prefer a routine for their players for every practice and for every week of the football season. By the 16th week of the football season everyone is in a set schedule.

"So why deviate from a set routine during the biggest week of one’s varsity season, and possibly before the biggest game in a coach’s career as well as for his student-athletes?

"It is our passion to work with high school coaches and athletic directors across Texas – that’s the foundation for TITUS Sports Marketing and why we created the company. One hundred percent of what we do is in the high school marketplace.

"Simply, if we don’t represent Texas high schools and the best interests of the UIL at the Class 5A Football Championships, we won’t be successful with TITUS in the years to come."

KTJ
06-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Dude, I was being facetious. Calm down.

Jesus.

3afan
06-13-2006, 04:08 PM
its just not a good idea - having multiple games at one site will (1) certainly make some teams travel many, many miles (up to 700!) and will (2) depending on how many games there are at a site make some wierd game times. how would you like to follow your team 600 miles for 6pm Friday game or 11am Saturday morning game?

a couple years ago Stratford played Shiner in the 1A final. what if the pre arranged site was in houston? stratford travels 680 miles and shiner 125.

OVERALL, this will make for LESS people seeing state title games STATEWIDE. ever wonder why the schools/coaches oppose it?

KTJ
06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
its just not a good idea - having multiple games at one site will (1) certainly make some teams travel many, many miles (up to 700!) and will (2) depending on how many games there are at a site make some wierd game times. how would you like to follow your team 600 miles for 6pm Friday game or 11am Saturday morning game?

a couple years ago Stratford played Shiner in the 1A final. what if the pre arranged site was in houston? stratford travels 680 miles and shiner 125.

OVERALL, this will make for LESS people seeing state title games STATEWIDE. ever wonder why the schools/coaches oppose it?

Once again, the same could be said for other sports as well. If these two teams played at State for basketball, it would be the same thing. One team traveling way more than the other just to play at State. But as I said before, if your hometown team makes it to state, is mileage going to prevent you from watching your son/grandson win a State Championship?

3afan
06-13-2006, 04:27 PM
it would not prevent ME, no way - but it could/would affect the casual fans from the 2 teams IMO. the difference with other sports is that its a tournament with 4 teams. we're talking football with this proposal ...

pirate4state
06-13-2006, 04:29 PM
it would not prevent ME, no way - but it could/would affect the casual fans from the 2 teams IMO. the difference with other sports is that its a tournament with 4 teams. we're talking football with this proposal ... Since they are casual fans they can tune in on television. Die hard fans will travel anywhere to watch their team compete.

AP Panther Fan
06-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Someone needs to explain to me the advantages of the UIL "getting in bed with" a marketing company. I must be missing something really big.....:thinking:

PHS Wildcats
06-13-2006, 05:06 PM
that's the million dollar question, will you travel to watch your hometown team if they reach the state title game.:thinking:

AP Panther Fan
06-13-2006, 05:35 PM
that's the million dollar question, will you travel to watch your hometown team if they reach the state title game.:thinking:

The answer to that would be yes, if at all possible. Many families might not be able to though given the financial considerations of making such a trip.

STANG RED
06-13-2006, 05:40 PM

I would, but I know alot of grandparents that simply couldnt do it, and you know there are many that simply cant afford it.

3afan
06-13-2006, 05:47 PM

someone from the PRO side tell me what the benefits are to the teams/schools/home town fans .......

District303aPastPlayer
06-13-2006, 05:51 PM
it takes some of the stress out of the coach's when they know that they are playing 15/16 weeks to get to one place. Also, it takes away the guessing game aspect of everything, it allows people to make their hotel accomodations the day after the win in teh semi's.

pirate4state
06-13-2006, 06:10 PM
that's the million dollar question, will you travel to watch your hometown team if they reach the state title game.:thinking: I'd travel anywhere in the state, but that's just me! :D Almost every fan on this board believes that their team is gonna make it to state (even if you won't admit it!) so if you know when & where the state game will be you have 15 weeks to save money and make reservations (that can be cancelled) before the big game. Would you wanna be the only one left in your hometown while your team has a 50/50 shot at state?

3afan
06-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
it takes some of the stress out of the coach's when they know that they are playing 15/16 weeks to get to one place. Also, it takes away the guessing game aspect of everything, it allows people to make their hotel accomodations the day after the win in teh semi's.

they are playing 15/16 weeks to get to the state championship - i doubt coaches will sleep easier in week 3 knowing exactly where the title game will be if they make it ............ if this is a good idea why not designate stadiums for all regional finals too? hotel reservations? state title game sites are usually, not always, but usually decided by the possible teams brfore the regional championships are played, at least in 4A/5A ... or at least right after the game or the next morning. your benefits to the teams/schools/home town fans dont pass the test ....

but thanks for the feedback!

and GO MAVS !!!

LH Panther Mom
06-13-2006, 10:49 PM
My opinion (for what it's worth) - this is being set up so that Titus can have a cut. And since there are now 4 teams making the playoffs in 5a, they can feasibly play the games at the same time. *thinking to self...wonder if Titus had a hand in that too.* :thinking:

kepdawg
06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
1. It would be fun to see all the championship games in one place.

2. It would be fun to have all the games televised (although the majority would be tape-delayed).

3. I nominate Floyd Casey to be the host site.