PDA

View Full Version : Rankings

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 04:35 PM
I was just wondering. For the state rankings and Region rankings and all that...will the pre-district games be ignored after the first district game? Or will the pre-dist. still be factored into the rankings?

Jacket2000
09-23-2002, 04:37 PM
Nope, when it comes to regional and state rankings, games are games. Makes no difference if it's non-district or district.
J2k

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Oh, so then FOR EXAMPLE, if one team plays a bunch of tough 4a's and they lose a few and then another team in the same region plays a bunch of schools that hardly even have teams then the one that had the papit's schedule is going to be ranked above the better team no matter what?

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 04:42 PM
thats kinda bogus

Jacket2000
09-23-2002, 04:46 PM
Nope, we take into account the level of competition. For example, if PI goes undefeated in district, but lost to a few teams in non-district, they will not be ranked b/c they havent faced any real competition.
J2K

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 04:51 PM
well what if someone goes like 6-3 in district but they won all of their pre district games even though they played teams that dont even know how to put on their helmets?

GoOrange
09-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Isn't it kinda lame to ask such a question? I mean, duh. Like those who make the poll aren't going to take into account who you played. That only works if you at the University of Miami and beat Podunk Jr. High School for the Blind 113-0. In that case, you go STRAIGHT TO NUMBER ONE!

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 05:46 PM
well then i must ask why rio hondo is ranked above port isabel. you'll see what im talking about after the PI vs RH game and THEN you'll be doin some wonderin as to why they are ranked above PI

sinton66
09-23-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by TarponRl3k:
well what if someone goes like 6-3 in district but they won all of their pre district games even though they played teams that dont even know how to put on their helmets?

R13, they couldn't go 6-3 in district. There's only 10 games in the regular season. What Jacket was saying is that if PI beat everybody in their district, but lost to UNRANKED teams in pre-district, they still probably wouldn't be ranked very high. Level of competition is subjective, but it does figure in to all of the polls. On the other hand, if PI won district, and beat some teams like Calallen or Gregory-Portland in pre-district, they would get ranked higher.

Ranger Mom
09-23-2002, 06:01 PM
R13, I am confused myself!!

Okay 66, if Greenwood loses to Andrews, what does that do to us in the rankings??

sinton66
09-23-2002, 06:19 PM
Andrews is 4A, right? If you play up a class and lose to a strong team in that class, it probably won't change much, unless you get blown out.(and you're NOT going to). Some of it depends on how you do against the pollsters predicted spread. In this case, Data Poll has you picked by +4. If you beat that spread and played up a class, you could move up a notch on that particular poll. On the AP poll, who knows? That's done by a bunch of sportswriters with big egos.

Ranger Mom
09-23-2002, 06:25 PM
Okey Dokey!!

I hope you are right and it's not a blow-out. For some reason, I am really worried about this game!!

I guess talking to all those Andrews fans on another site has made me nervous!!

sinton66
09-23-2002, 06:33 PM
I look for the Rangers to pull this one out. It should be a close game. By the way, while looking at Data Poll, you guys took a big jump this week. Yall were down around 18 last week on the top 50, and you are #8 this week!

Ranger Mom
09-23-2002, 06:36 PM
WOW, first Matthew's top 20 and now the data poll. I hope those "Rangers" stay off the computer!!

sinton66
09-23-2002, 06:39 PM
Awwww, don't worry about it, those West Texas boys don't get big heads. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

Matthew328
09-23-2002, 06:44 PM
To me everything is subjective...for me if you play a 4A and they aren't in the top 30 or so and you lose more than likely you'll drop..because the difference between 3A and 4A isn't all that much...but if you play a top level 4A and lose more than likley you'll hold in the ranking..for example Atlanta lost to Texas High who is a 4A top 10 and they held firm...but then they lost to Mt Pleasant who is an ok 4A and they dropped...ranking for me are just an opinion well all have em...good thing they don't amount to a hill of beans..

sinton66
09-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Matthew, out of ALL the polls, would you agree that the AP Poll means the least?

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:02 PM
*warning--this is only an opinion---this is only an opinion---warning*
The way I see it, everyone has their own view on how good/bad a team is. Polls really mean nothing and do not affect the outcome of games unless competitors let the polls influence how good/bad they believe their school is. If students think their school is too good, then it probably isn't. They'll probably get big heads, and they'll probably lose. On the otherhand, those who feel they are underrated have more of a thirst to prove themselves and have a larger chance of bettering their record. So there is no use complaining about polls, and all you need to do is wait for your team to improve. Please don't be offended. As I said before, this is only an opinion. :-)

[This message has been edited by coolguycody_c (edited September 23, 2002).]

Ranger Mom
09-23-2002, 07:07 PM
WOW, I think I am getting this!! I think I would rather go in as the underdog!! I've got several different poll places that I visit, and it's pretty much split both ways for Andrews and Greenwood.

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:09 PM
Wow!! I actually posted a reply that people didn't get mad at!! lol

sinton66
09-23-2002, 07:10 PM
RangerMom, That's your BEST clue, they don't know either!!!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited September 23, 2002).]

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sinton66:
[B]RangerMom, That's your BEST clue, they don't know either!!!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks for editing that.. I was trying to figure out how to apply that to my post...I was SO confused.

Ranger Mom
09-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Do people normally get mad at you? I must have missed something, I know you aren't one of "those" that I have lectured!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom:
Do people normally get mad at you? I must have missed something, I know you aren't one of "those" that I have lectured!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

No, Ma, you haven't lectured me. (can I call you ma? lol) I just normally say stupid stuff that offends people in some way. I don't know why.. I guess I'm just not very eloquent.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-23-2002, 07:14 PM
I've always felt the AP Poll is simply a popularity contest based on previous year performances......

I follow the Harris Ratings much more closely, and also, they are a lot more accurate.

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:15 PM
hey sinton66, I just noticed that you're from magnolia. My school plays magnolia in a few weeks. I go to cy creek. maybe I'll see you there..

sinton66
09-23-2002, 07:17 PM
Depends on who Sinton's playing that week. I work in Magnolia, but my home's down south.

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by sinton66:
Depends on who Sinton's playing that week. I work in Magnolia, but my home's down south.

Ah.. ok! I wouldn't want to go to the creek game anyway.. It's not much of a team.. The past 4 seasons they have won 4 games

sinton66
09-23-2002, 07:22 PM
When is Cypress Ridge supposed to open? I used to stay in the RV park at Trader's Village.

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:25 PM
oh, it's open...They say that the kids that go there aren't of the best...uh...breeding.(?) shall I say? They are the Cy-Ridge Rams. They have a really nice school though!

sinton66
09-23-2002, 07:27 PM
Thought it was supposed to open this year, and yea, I'm sorta familiar with the neighbor hood. Where is Cy Creek, and how many schools does the district have now?

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:30 PM
This is the first year it's open. Creek is off of 249 on Grant. CFISD is the fastest growing district in the state. They now have 7 5A high schools and they are getting ready to build an 8th one, as well as a center for the performing arts, and a second atheletic complex. I've posted several times on topics that concern nice stadiums. I'm sure you've been to Pridgeon. That's one of the nicer one's I've been in.

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Wow, from that post, some might think that I'm being paid by the district as an advertisement. Nope! I wish....

sinton66
09-23-2002, 07:40 PM
I've seen and heard of it, but never been inside. I don't make a lot of regular season games at home, and have been thinking of attending some up here. Keep me posted on some good ones. When do you guys play Magnolia, and is it here or there?

coolguycody_c
09-23-2002, 07:44 PM
Cy Creek plays Magnolia at Pridgeon on Oct. 19. Since Magnolia recently moved up from 4a, I think Cy Creek may have a chance. We actually won a game this year though.. It's an improvement over last year. lol

sinton66
09-23-2002, 07:50 PM
Uh oh, that's one of two Sinton District games I gotta see that Friday (18th). Ya know, Magnolia was in the playoffs last year in 4A. Don't think they went more than a couple of rounds though. They got blown out by somebody in their first game this year, then proceeded to do the same to somebody else. They've won the last two from what I heard.

Kool Tarpon 21
09-23-2002, 09:19 PM
What was that?

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 09:23 PM
hmmm my clock must be off or something. it says missile posted at 9:19 but my clock on my computer says that it's 9:14