PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so Roethlisberger

Gp83
06-12-2006, 12:10 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning in a motorcycle accident and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

Roethlisberger

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli contributed to this story. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

GREGORY-PORTLAND WILDCATS

kaorder1999
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
what a goof ball. thats not good

kaorder1999
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
what a goof ball. thats not good

KTJ
06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
what a goof ball. that's not good.

AP Panther Fan
06-12-2006, 12:45 PM
for some reason I feel like saying.....

what a goof ball. that's not good.;)

BreckTxLonghorn
06-12-2006, 12:47 PM
I don't understand how professional athletes who have contracts that specifically forbid motorcycles cannot wait until they're retired to do these things. Whether you know how to use one properly or not, motorcycles are very dangerous, and if your body is the reason you get paid millions, why risk it?

Motorcycle victims:
Jay Williams, Chicago Bulls-- Top 10 pick 3 or 4 years ago who has played very little, if at all, due to a bad motorcyle crash. Had to give up much of his contract money due to violating motorcyle clause.

Kellen Winslow, Jr, Cleveland Browns--Top 10 pick3 years ago. Has played 3 total games due to a combination of injuries and a motorcyle accident. Also had to give back a majority of contract money due to violating motorcycle clause.

Ben Wafflestomper, Pittsburgh Steelers--Welcome to the club Big Ben. While it's unknown just how bad the injury was, and it's highly doubtful that Pittsburgh was ask for money back (you don't do that to a super bowl qb), he still needs to be mentioned on the "what the hell were you thinking?" subject.

Oh yeah...what a goofball.

BlueBlood
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
ghat a woof ball. ghat's not wood.

Adidas410s
06-12-2006, 12:59 PM
that's just crazy...he was on Mike & Mike this morning giving an interview about 730ish. I wonder how long after his interview this occured.

kaorder1999
06-12-2006, 01:02 PM
screw yall....all of yall...

AP Panther Fan
06-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :kiss:

Snyder_TigerFan
06-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
.... In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

Huh?:thinking: I don't think I do either, but I've never tried it.

Bulldog_12
06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
What an idiot.

LH Panther Mom
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Huh?:thinking: I don't think I do either, but I've never tried it.
I would hope he realizes now why helmets should be worn. If not, then what a goof ball. ;) Sorry ka :kiss:

DaHop72
06-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I would hope he realizes now why helmets should be worn. If not, then what a goof ball. ;) Sorry ka :kiss: According to reports, Big Ben is now in surgery. Injuries not suppose to be life or career threatening.

Phil C
06-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

?

44INAROW
06-12-2006, 01:23 PM
All kidding aside, I hope he is OK, but Jeez, what a goof-ball :D

DaHop72
06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
All kidding aside, I hope he is OK, but Jeez, what a goof-ball :D Ditto!!:D

Highschoolfan78
06-12-2006, 01:47 PM

wedo
06-12-2006, 01:50 PM
i only have one thing to say about that!!!! What a goof-ball!!!

Aesculus gilmus
06-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Let me say that, although he is a goofball, I have bounced off the windshield of a vehicle myself and it is no fun at all. So I wish him well, although generally I have never supported the Steelers in any way, shape or form.

If he feels so strongly about not wearing helmets, why did he ever wear one during football games?

UPanIN
06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
WHAT A GOLF BALL!!

Best thread since Bellville fans got upset over something.

Just kidding B fans.:D :hand: :thinking: :clap: :rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
06-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by UPanIN
WHAT A GOLF BALL!!

Now that's funny! :D

Maroon87
06-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by UPanIN
WHAT A GOLF BALL!!

Best thread since Bellville fans got upset over something.

Just kidding B fans.:D :hand: :thinking: :clap: :rolleyes:

Yes he's a golf ball...and a Titelist at that!;)

DaHop72
06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Yes he's a golf ball...and a Titelist at that!;)
That's better than being a LOCO.

Gp83
06-12-2006, 05:50 PM
What a goof ball...this is not good:hand:

mistanice
06-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
That's better than being a LOCO.

or being a NOODLE brain

kepdawg
06-12-2006, 05:56 PM
My first thought when I heard about it:

Ben is stupid.

After giving it some thought:

JHS_c/o_06'
06-12-2006, 11:23 PM
what.......

JHS_c/o_06'
06-12-2006, 11:23 PM
....a goof-ball.....thats not good.

pirate4state
06-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Who is a goof ball and what isn't good???? :thinking: :D

lepfan
06-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Wh ether you know how to use one properly or not, motorcycles are very dangerous,
Motocycles are like guns...it is not the motorcycle that is dangerous...it is the lack of respect for the motorcycle that is dangerous...be it the rider or drivers of other vehicles. Many times it is drivers of cars/trucks/etc. that will cause the accidents with motocycles.......of course there are those times when the rider is at fault...but like I said many times it is the other driver of larger vehicles....this is just my opinion from my personal experience in riding

District303aPastPlayer
06-12-2006, 11:52 PM
if you have seen a list of his injuried which required SEVEN HOURS or surgery... he's a real lucky guy...

and a goofball

lepfan
06-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
if you have seen a list of his injuried which required SEVEN HOURS or surgery... he's a real lucky guy...

and a goofball WOW...I wonder if he will think twice about that helment now...??? I also wonder who was at fault.:thinking:

DaHop72
06-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
WOW...I wonder if he will think twice about that helment now...??? I also wonder who was at fault.:thinking:
I heard this morning that the lady in the car was at fault.

DaHop72
06-13-2006, 03:27 PM
ESPN is reporting that Big Ben may not have had a motorcycle license, what a goofball.

AP Panther Fan
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
ESPN is reporting that Big Ben may not have had a motorcycle license, what a goofball.

and that's not good!:doh:

Maroon87
06-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Did I mention? What a goofball...:eek:

In July 2005, ESPN's Andrea Kremer interviewed Ben Roethlisberger shortly after the Cleveland Browns' tight end Kellen Winslow was injured in a motorcycle accident. Portions of that conversation are below:

ESPN: Why do you ride a motorcycle?

Roethlisberger: Because I choose to. I want to. It's relaxing to me.

ESPN: Relaxing?

Roethlisberger: Very.

ESPN: What kind of rush do you get?

Roethlisberger: Oh, it's not a rush. It's relaxing. A rush is when you're riding a roller coaster. It's relaxing for me. You're going out, riding in groups, having fun ... you're free. Your mind is as free as it can get and it's probably the best stress reliever I've ever had in my entire life.

ESPN: Why? Why does it do that?

Roethlisberger: I don't know. You're just out there and you're free.

ESPN: How long have you been riding?

Roethlisberger: For a while.

ESPN: What's a while?

Roethlisberger: A long time.

ESPN: Since you were in high school?

Roethlisberger: I've always been big into snowmobiles, four-wheelers, jet skis, all kinds of those X Games kind of things. And I just finally bought my own motorcycle, not too long ago.

ESPN: I assume you have your license?

Roethlisberger: Yes.

ESPN: It's not the law in Pennsylvania to wear a helmet. Why don't you wear a helmet?

Roethlisberger: Because you don't have to. It's not the law. If it was the law, I'd definitely have one on every time I rode. But it's the law and I know I don't have to and you're just more free when you're out there with no helmet on.

ESPN: How much do you view riding a motorcycle as a risk?

Roethlisberger: I think it can be a risk. It depends on how you ride. I don't ride a sport bike. If I'm riding a sport bike and trying to do tricks, and going 200 miles down the highway, that's probably pretty stupid. But when you're riding a Harley or a chopper and you're riding with a group of people and you're not on the highway and you're cruising, you're relaxing. I don't think its as much of a risk as people make it out to be.

ESPN: What is the difference between what you're talking about, recreational riding, and what Kellen Winslow was doing? What kind of bike do you ride?

Roethlisberger: I ride a Harley and a chopper. Those are the two bikes I ride the most.

ESPN: Are those viewed a top of the line, high performance cycles?

Roethlisberger: They are like, it would be like riding in a Cadillac compared to a Ferrari, which is a sport bike. It's a luxury motorcycle. You know it's relaxing. You don't pop wheelies, because it's pretty hard to do it anyway. So you just keep two wheels on the ground and you just ride.

ESPN: Have you ever done wheelies?

Roethlisberger: No, never tried. Never will.

ESPN: Why?

Roethlisberger: Because it's just asking for disaster. It's just asking to go down.

ESPN: When you heard about Kellen Winslow's accident, what went through your mind?

Roethlisberger: I was concerned for him. I was hoping he'd be OK because he's a great player. You don't want someone like that to get injured off the field, and so I was hoping he was going to be OK. ... I knew it was going to blow up for me, people were going to start talking about me as well.

ESPN: What part of you said, "those are the consequences?"

Roethlisberger: Well, it's just like anything and I didn't wish for him to get hurt. It's just like anything else, the more risk you put into something, into whatever it is ... Just like gambling. You're gambling. The more money you want to put into something -- you can lose, or you can win big, so you take gambles with things and you can get burned.

ESPN: Jamie Henderson was just out riding, had an accident, and was in a coma, so how do you manage the risk?

Roethlisberger: Well it's just like everything else. You can get injured and killed in a car, too. You can get killed walking down the street. You have to know what you're doing, and I'm not saying anyone didn't know what they were doing, but it's a risk and being in life is a risk.

ESPN: What has (Steelers head coach) Bill Cowher said with respect to riding a motorcycle?

Roethlisberger: People blew that out of proportion, what we talked about.

ESPN: What was it?

Roethlisberger: We talked in camp. We were just standing there, he asked me about how I rode, who I rode with, am I safe, and I told him exactly what I told you. I don't ride sport bikes. I ride Harleys and choppers and I ride in a group, and we point out potholes as we go by so other people will know ... he asked me about wearing helmet, and I said I don't wear a helmet, and he goes just be careful. He never told me not to ride. He never told me to wear a helmet. Then people said that I just denied everything he said. He didn't say anything like that. He just told me be careful and use my head.

ESPN: Did you need to be told that?

Roethlisberger: I was already doing those things. But it's just like, my father said the same thing, it's just someone telling you because they care about you.

ESPN: What have (your) mother (and) father said?

Roethlisberger: They don't like me doing it, but they know I'm a man. I can make my own decisions. They just want me to be careful.

ESPN: Is there an analogy between the rush of motorcycle riding and football?

Roethlisberger: I don't get on them because it's a risk. I don't get thrills like when you ride them like 'oh this is a rush for me.' It's just relaxing for me. I mean, I could just get in the biggest fight of my life and get on the bike everything is forgotten and you're free. And I think its going to help me, I think.

ESPN: Where do you ride?

Roethlisberger: All over. We ride outside of Pittsburgh, out on the country roads, and just ride.

ESPN: How aware are you that some contracts ban risky activity?

Roethlisberger: Very.

ESPN: What, if anything, is in your contract about motorcycles?

Roethlisberger: If it was in my contract it said I can not ride a motorcycle, then I can't ride a motorcycle.

ESPN: What if they wanted to put that additional language in there?

Roethlisberger: I wouldn't be happy, but that's part of the deal. If your boss says you can't do it, you can't do it.

ESPN: You would abide by that?

Roethlisberger: Absolutely, it's the law.

ESPN: But it's not in there?

Roethlisberger: Right. We've gone over that with a fine toothed comb ... not breaking the rules, exactly, just like wearing a helmet. If the law says I need to wear a helmet, I'll wear a helmet.

ESPN: How do you view that you are putting your employment at risk?

Roethlisberger: It's tough. It's kind of like we say: "Let those who ride decide." I can make a decision. I'm a man. You're not going to make a decision for me, especially if you're not my boss or my employer. You don't have the right to make that decision for me, so I'm gonna go out and be as careful as I can … look how many people are killed in car accidents every day. It's [a] risk whatever you do.

ESPN: What kind of gawk factor do you get when you're on a motorcycle?

Roethlisberger: I don't ever ride by myself. We always have at least one other guy there. They say 'I'm not worried about you riding, I'm worried about the other people,' and it's true. People don't see motorcycles as much because it's a smaller vehicle.

ESPN: Have you been distracted at all?

Roethlisberger: No, its just like anything else: you've got to stay focused because if you don't stay focused, you're going to lose the game, or you could die.

ESPN: What to you constitutes a hazardous activity for a professional athlete?

Roethlisberger: Playing football with no pads on. Riding a motorcycle? I don't think is hazardous. I think maybe something like skydiving, although I think that's pretty safe from what I've heard.

ESPN: What obligation does a professional athlete have in his free time to not engage in certain activities?

Roethlisberger: The obligation for us is on the days we practice and on Sundays, the days that we play. That is the obligation we have, to go out and be athletes toward what we do. In my free time, I can work out, which I do. I can throw, which I do. Or I can do anything else that I want to do -- as long as its not illegal or against the rules.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roethlisberger: There's a lot of people that ride that people don't know about, it's amazing.

ESPN: Why? What do you mean by that?

Roethlisberger: … (John) Elway rode his whole career. (Troy) Aikman. All those guys. They still ride theirs. I bet I'd have to say over 75 percent of the league people ride motorcycles.

ESPN: What would people have thought if they did know that John Elway rode a motorcycle?

Roethlisberger: I have no idea. I don't what would people think. You know … I just know people they make a big fuss like Kellen and I are the first guys ever to ride motorcycles you know I think that's just silly.

ESPN: Can you understand that there is a focus on the risk factor?

Roethlisberger: Yes, but there is a risk in everything you do. (In) everyday life, there is a risk no matter what you are doing. And yeah, there is a risk if I'm out there doing wheelies on a motorcycle. But I'm being the safest rider I can be.

lepfan
06-14-2006, 10:50 AM
My husband says it is the most relaxing thing for him to do. He loves to jump on a bike and just ride. It is not relaxing for me because I am constantly thinking of when some idiot is going to plow over me! I can see how it can be relaxing....not all motorcyclists like to ride at excessive speeds....some like to just cruise.

Emerson1
06-14-2006, 11:27 AM
He was on a sportbike when he wrecked, guess he won't buy anymore of those.

Gp83
06-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He was on a sportbike when he wrecked, guess he won't buy anymore of those.

Wouldn't have mettered what bike he was on. Lady pulls out in front of you, a Harley gunna hit it as easily as a sport bike...actually the sport bike may have an advantage because of manuverabillity.

lepfan
06-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
Wouldn't have mettered what bike he was on. Lady pulls out in front of you, a Harley gunna hit it as easily as a sport bike...actually the sport bike may have an advantage because of manuverabillity. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: