PDA

View Full Version : Can You Belive This?

Phil C
04-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Chris Simms, the great UT Quarterback and future NFL all pro, was chosen No. 97 in Round 3 (last one) in the draft by Tampa Bay in the NFL draft. Even the Cowboys goofed because they had a chance to draft him with their second pick. Talk about a lot of teams having egg on their faces in the future including Tampa Bay taking a chance and for almost not getting him.

Jacket2000
04-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Truth be known, Im suprised that he was picked that high, and even more shocked that he was picked above Kliff Kingsbury. Simms is 6'5, 220 lbs, and the son of a future NFL Hall of Fame QB, yet he has the heart of a 5'4 towel manager. Sure, he looked real good against the UNTs and the KUs, but anytime he faced a ranked team he folded like paper. Im thinkin' that he'll be another Charlie Batch.
J2K

<small>[ April 28, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Jacket2000 ]</small>

sinton66
04-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Phil, I believe this is a result of Simms' perceived inability to win big games. I'm kinda surprized he went as high as the third round. I for one am glad he's gone from UT. Watch for Vincent Young from Houston Madison to step into the QB role at Texas. This kid has some talent that is hard to believe until you see it.

<small>[ April 28, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

texcaj
04-28-2003, 11:24 AM
you know, i can't stand the sips. i couldn't stomach what they did to applewhite, he wasn't the biggest but he worked the hardest. sims just couldn't get it done, and for tu's sake, i'm glad he is gone. but don't overlook mock. he's going to be a good qb.

Old Dog
04-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Did you notice how many Aggies were taken early in the draft? I am an Ag fan and liked R.C., but this spoke to the heart of a serious problem. R.C. could pick um, recruit um, but could not produce to the level of his talented players; that's why Fran is now the head coach. When year after year in the last decade, Texas A&M has sent so many to the NFL, yet their colligate records were not so stellar.

<small>[ April 28, 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

Jacket2000
04-28-2003, 02:12 PM
sinton66:
Phil, I believe this is a result of Simms' perceived inability to win big games. I'm kinda surprized he went as high as the third round. I for one am glad he's gone from UT. Watch for Vincent Young from Houston Madison to step into the QB role at Texas. This kid has some talent that is hard to believe until you see it.I'll be suprised if Young stays long enough to become the starter. I saw him play in a playoff game once, and while he was the most talented player on the field by far, he showed that he has little to no character. He constantly taunted the other team and showboated to the crowd the entire game. He even shoved his coach when he was taken out of the game(with the game well in hand). I really hope that Brown doesnt make a 2nd QB mistake this early in his UT tenure by putting Young in.
J2K

sinton66
04-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Jacket, I'm sure you know that college athletics is a world away from high school. Those coaches know how to control their athletes. The athletes themselves know that the college coach holds the keys to their future in the NFL. I'm positive Brown will not use him if he thinks he may not be able to control him. Young will get the picture and settle in, I'm sure. It would be a huge disappointment to let such talent go to waste.

spaniard
04-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Phil C:
Chris Simms, the great UT Quarterback and future NFL all pro, was chosen No. 97 in Round 3 (last one) in the draft by Tampa Bay in the NFL draft. Even the Cowboys goofed because they had a chance to draft him with their second pick. Talk about a lot of teams having egg on their faces in the future including Tampa Bay taking a chance and for almost not getting him.ill have to agree with all the other guys on this one phil, simms has been all the hype that money can buy. hes a good qb no doubt, but not an excellent qb. im not a tu fan, but i dont understand why brown started him over applewhite. simms is a good kid, but i dont think he has what it takes to play against guys that dont feel sorry for him, and will beat the poo out of him just bc his dad was famous. i said it earlier this year after the tu-ou game, he really is all the hype that money can buy.

Chris Hart
04-28-2003, 06:52 PM
I personally think that Chris Simms will end up being a really good NFL QB. He will probably be the starter in his 3rd year. The biggest problem Chris had at UT, was the less than great coaching and the dagger that was stuck into his confidence level, first by the coaching staff and then by the media. I agree with Phil, Chris will be an All-Pro QB in the future.

qb12
04-28-2003, 09:11 PM
like many of you, i think chris sims is a choker. the fact that makes him a longhorn makes it worse. the t-sips should not be mad that he went when he went because there are many more minuses than pluses to Chrissy. I bleed maroon and white and i realize that they have been a better team in the past few yrs. than we have had. But to see 3 aggies go before him made it much sweeter. We should be able to beat the sips next year. Gig'em.

<small>[ April 28, 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: qb12 ]</small>

c-town
04-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Q12, your my boy and all but you are messed up in the head if you think Fran is going to turn the faggies around in 1 year. They may be a better team than they were last year but they dont have a prayer against the horns. I agree simms did choke in a few big games but the aggies didnt even qualify as a big game for the horns.

hook'em horns

qb12
04-28-2003, 09:31 PM
Yeah im just backing my team. the only way we will win is if Roy williams brakes his leg. But we have Kyle field. YOu know like i know that is a huge advantage no matter if the aggies are 13-2 or 2-13.

MBulldog4life
04-28-2003, 10:03 PM
could somebody tell me how the cowboys ended up in the draft

personalfoul55
04-28-2003, 10:23 PM
first of all simms is horrible. in my oppinion he didnt deserve to be in the draft period. with that being said whats up with young. he is cold and i believe will lead the longhorns to the national championship next year. even more important is the new commit michael pittman from cameron. this kid is badass beyond belief, trust me ive played him. with young and pittman, uh-oh.

jason
04-28-2003, 10:30 PM
the cowboys didnt pick him up cause he cant win in dallas...for example, '01 big 12 champ game, and i think every UT v OU game in the cotton bowl

sinton66
04-28-2003, 10:41 PM
MBulldog4life:
could somebody tell me how the cowboys ended up in the draftNFL Draft Tracker

Dallas
Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School
1 5 Newman, Terence CB 5-10 189 Kansas State
2 38 Johnson, Al C 6-3 305 Wisconsin
3 69 Witten, Jason TE 6-6 264 Tennessee
4 103 James, Bradie ILB 6-2 242 Louisiana State
6 178 Tucker, B.J. CB 5-11 188 Wisconsin
6 186 Smith, Zuriel WR 5-11 168 Hampton
7 219 Bates, Justin G 6-4 300 Colorado

MBulldog4life
04-29-2003, 10:10 AM
thanx for the results on the cowboys

MBulldog4life
04-29-2003, 10:12 AM
i agree pittman is a bad ass and he can be played on either side of the ball so alot of texas's success could be were they decide to play him but i play for marlin and i agree pittman is awsome and willl probably go pro

big daddy russ
04-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Chris Hart:
I personally think that Chris Simms will end up being a really good NFL QB. He will probably be the starter in his 3rd year. The biggest problem Chris had at UT, was the less than great coaching and the dagger that was stuck into his confidence level, first by the coaching staff and then by the media. I agree with Phil, Chris will be an All-Pro QB in the future.You know, I seem to remember a quarterback from a while back who had many of the same questions as Simms coming out of college. He was actually the sixth quarterback taken in the draft and the team that took him only got him so "early" because of the run on quarterbacks. They knew they had to get their guy much earlier than he was rated. This particular guy had prototypical size and strength for an NFL QB, had the quickest release some of the scouts had ever seen and was amazingly accurate. BUT, he had suffered through a disastrous senior year which made everyone question his ability come through under pressure or to win the big one.
This guy's junior campaign was nothing short of spectacular. He had an extremely talented team, the Panthers, who finished with a top-10 ranking and national recognition and they went into the following season as the preseason favorite for a National Championship. His picture adorned the front of Sports Illustrated's College football preview and his Panthers were the preseason number one team in the land.
They wound up losing their last regular season game, a double-digit whipping at the hands of Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions, and with it a shot at the National Championship. That "Golden Boy" tossed more interceptions (23) than touchdowns (17) on a team had every bit as much talent as last year's Longhorns.
Although this guy never won a championship, the Miami Dolphins decided to take a flyer and pick him up with the 27th pick in the draft. His second year in the NFL, he set single season records in every major passing category known to man while leading the talent-deprived Fins to the SuperBowl.
Dan Marino finished his career as the all-time NFL leader in pass completions, attempts, yardage and touchdowns and was second only to John Elway in fourth-quarter comebacks. Herschel Walker won that Heisman in a landslide, but Dan Marino is one of the top three or four quarterbacks of all time. I see absolutely no reason Simms can't do the same. Simms actually had some good college stats, but was still knocked for everything he did. Maybe a fresh start is all the kid needs.

qb12
04-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Simms will never be beyond a second stringer. I still dont understand why they even drafted him. Roy williams was like a vital organ for simms, without roy he would have been another fold over.

ThaRealBulldog
04-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Simms is like oragomi, he folds under pressure.

qb12
04-29-2003, 10:01 PM
hahaha :D good one.

Phil C
04-30-2003, 09:15 AM
But Jason what about the 2003 Cotton Bowl game in Dallas against LSU that Texas won! Also what about other quarterbacks who didn't win in Dallas. Years ago there was a Quarterback what lost once during the regular season and again in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas for his teams only two loses that year. Yet Dallas took a chance on him and drafted him even though he had to serve military obligations first before playing. Of course I am talking about Roger Stauback who led Dallas to many great seasons and two super bowl wins and won many games in the last two minutes. Also another Dallas Quarterback went to SMU who plays in Dallas and he never had a winning season at SMU and yet for the Cowboys after the early rocky years became a strong title contender losing two very close games to the Green Bay Packers who probably had the best team ever up to that point and time. His name is Don Merredith. Who knows - maybe Dallas should pick quarterbacks that lose in Dallas with the exception of Troy of course. Still many teams will regreat not picking him when they had the chance especially in the second round.

c-town
04-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Guys it is hard to tell what Simms will do in the NFL.. He has a great arm and there will be plenty of Roys to pass the ball to.. There has been many great NFL quarterbacks drafted late and many not so great quarterbacks drafted in the first round. Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recal hearing that Joe Montana was drafted in the third round also.

PPHSfan
04-30-2003, 07:21 PM
How many Big Games ie:Superbowls did Marino choke in? :D jk

big daddy russ
04-30-2003, 11:42 PM
PPHSfan:
How many Big Games ie:Superbowls did Marino choke in? :D jkHaha... okay now, enough. That's my boy. You gotta cut him some slack, though... he never had much of a team to work with and he absolutely NEVER had a quality running back. C'mon, they only put up 25 rushing yards against the Niners in his only Bowl appearance. But he did complete 29 of 50 passes for 318 yards in SuperBowl 19. But then again, he was also sacked four times and threw two interceptions. :confused:

sinton66
04-30-2003, 11:54 PM
I think PPHSfan's point is that neither Simms nor Marino even compares to Staubach, Montanna or Elway. All are proven winners. Chris Simms in particular doesn't strike me as top flight material, but then neither did his dad. Phil Simm's superbowl was due to the people in his supporting cast. I hope I'm wrong about Chris, I hope he will make a contribution, but just somehow don't think he has what it takes.

Phil C
05-01-2003, 08:29 AM
PPHS the question might ought to be how many super bowls did Joe Montana choke in? :)

AggieJohn
05-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Simms deserves what he got after ripping Applewhite