PDA

View Full Version : 29th annual C-101 C-Sculptures this weekend

pirate44
06-09-2006, 09:52 AM
A day at the beach
29th annual C-101 C-Sculptures festivities feature live music, bikini and horseshoe contests and oh yeah - sand sculpting

By Israel Saenz Caller-Times
June 8, 2006

Whether they come for the art, the music or the scenery, C-101 C-Sculptures draws a crowd. The event centered on sand-sculpting competitions attracted about 150,000 attendees last year.

Organizers plan to make waves once again.

"Last year we had 46 teams in the horseshoe competition," said Kristi Pena, Clear Channel Radio event coordinator. "We already have 50 signed up for this year and we're hoping to get more."

C-101 C-Sculptures

When: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday

Where: Newport Pass Beach

Cost: Free

Information: 289-0111

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schedule of events

9 a.m.: Registration for sand sculpting, bikini and horseshoe contests

10 a.m.: Live music from iH5

11 a.m.: Live music from The Reely Rotnz

12:30 p.m.: Beauty on the Beach Bikini Contest
(preliminary round)

1 p.m.: Final sculpting judging begins; live music from The Way it Breaks

2 p.m.: Live music from Vallejo

3 p.m.: Beauty on the Beach Bikini Contest
(final round)

3:30 p.m.: Live music from
The Burden Brothers

4:30 p.m.: Winners announced (sculpting and bikini)

The horseshoe competition is just one of the events that draws residents and tourists alike to the Coastal Bend. Local and area bands IH5 and The Reely Rotnz will be joined by fellow Texas groups The Burden Brothers, The Way it Breaks and Vallejo.

The Beauty on the Beach Bikini Contest will make its return. The babes and bands also will be joined by a beer garden and other beverage and food vendors.

While the bikini-clad women have their definite demographic, Pena said live music remains a cornerstone of the event.

"The caliber of the bands that come in is so great," she said. "Three of the groups actually called us to ask to be there."

Participants in the sand-sculpting competition will be eligible for prizes ranging from $400 to $1,500. All competitors receive gift-bags worth more than $35.

Pena said prize money in the bikini contest will range from $200 to $500. The prize amount for the horseshoe contest has yet to be determined, she said.

The festivities bring a large number of 18- to 35-year-old beach-goers, but Pena said the vendors and sculptures can be a major attraction for anyone.

"We almost always have older tourists who browse through the vendors," she said. "It's appealing to everyone across the board."

Contact Israel Saenz at 886-3763 or saenzi@ caller.com

Adidas410s
06-09-2006, 09:55 AM
bikini and horseshoe competitions...what excitement! :clap:

pirate44
06-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
bikini and horseshoe competitions...what excitement! :clap:
there's sandcastles too

pirate4state
06-09-2006, 10:53 AM
don't forget about the music. Who is playing this year?

edited: :doh: I just saw the music! WTH? Isn't there usually a big name band at this thing? :thinking:

big daddy russ
06-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
don't forget about the music. Who is playing this year?

edited: :doh: I just saw the music! WTH? Isn't there usually a big name band at this thing? :thinking:
No kidding. Pantera's been there a few years, Nickelback's been there, Lil' Flip was there a couple of years ago, and they had one huge band circa 2000, I just can't remember who it was.

Oh well, wish I was there. I miss camping out on the beach Thursday and Friday night just so you can get that spot somewhat close to the main stage.

Hanging out on the beach with 150K of your best friends, watching a bikini contest while drinking cold beverages and enjoying the free handouts (Skoal for those who like it, GOOD cigars, and one year Malibu was giving away shot bottles of their 'new'-at-the-time pineapple rum).

I miss Corpus so much right now.

District303aPastPlayer
06-09-2006, 10:35 PM
woohoo IH5...

piratebg
06-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Vallejo and The Burden Brothers are pretty good.

Guys, don't forget your cameras. :thumbsup:

District303aPastPlayer
06-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Guys, don't forget your cameras. :thumbsup:

NO LIE!!