PDA

View Full Version : Texas Folklife Festival San Antonio

cdlvj
06-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Started yesterday, and goes thru Sunday.

http://www.czechs.org

lostaussie
06-09-2006, 09:17 AM
from Gilmer Mirror

Yamboree delegation gears up for Folklife Festival

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAN ANTONIO — Since 1972, the Texas Folklife Festival has been celebrating the rich heritage of more than 40 of Texas’ cultures.
The East Texas Yamboree Association from Gilmer has participated in the festival since the beginning. Once again, festival-goers have the chance to enjoy delicious yam pie. As reported in The Gilmer Mirror April 12, the Yamboree delegation will be taking 300 pies to the festival this year.

Judge Dean and Nan Fowler will lead the Gilmer group.

The 35th anniversary celebration begins Thursday, June 8, and continues through Sunday, June 11, at UTSA’s Institute of Texan Cultures in downtown San Antonio.

“It seems like just yesterday we were planning the first Texas Folklife Festival, which was modeled after the Smithsonian Folklife Festival in Washington, D.C.,” said Jo Ann Andera, Texas Folklife Festival director.

“There are 18 ethnic groups who are celebrating 35 years, and another 18 that are celebrating between 29 and 34 years at the festival. This continuity and dedication of the participants is what makes this celebration so special,” she said.

Long before “cultural diversity” was incorporated as a politically correct part of every day life, the Texas Folklife Festival was developed to pay tribute to the various rich and colorful cultures of the Lone Star State’s original pioneers.

As the signature event of UTSA’s Institute of Texan Cultures, the Texas Folklife Festival brings more than 70,000 people together to learn about, share and celebrate diversity and cultural traditions at this annual four-day extravaganza.

Visitors are invited to engage all five senses as they revel in a smorgasbord of ethnic foods, world music, traditional folk dance, artistic demonstrations and crafts at this family reunion of cultures.

Phil C
06-09-2006, 09:51 AM
I like to go on tours like that when I can in cities like San Antonio and El Paso to just name a couple because they take you to see many historical missions and many still have religious services today.

pirate44
06-09-2006, 09:53 AM
i really want to go, but we might not be able to make it. maybe i can a day out of it Sunday.

SintonFan
06-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
i really want to go, but we might not be able to make it. maybe i can a day out of it Sunday.
Sunday would be the day I could go.
Who's all gonna be there?