PDA

View Full Version : Does UT have what it takes to make it back to the NC?

big daddy russ
06-09-2006, 02:13 AM
If you vote yes, tell us why. If you vote no, tell us why. And while such insight as, "because Texas sux," or "because the 'Horns rock" works at the family BBQ, I think it's about as intelligent as carrying a lighting rod to a swim meet.

Reasons they could: Except for QB, they return the house. As much raw talent as anyone in the nation. Loaded everywhere. Their defense should actually be better next year than it was last year (thank you, Gene Chizik). The most NFL-ready team since Miami in the early-00's.

Reasons they may not: They're going to be trailing late in a game sometime this year. They'll need a QB who won't crack under pressure. The top options are 18- and 19-years old, respectively. OU's returned to the top perch in the Big XII after a 'disappointing' 8-4 season. Tough games against Ohio State, OU and at Tech and Nebraska.

District303aPastPlayer
06-09-2006, 03:43 AM
its going to take a more team unified approach this year with the absence of a clearly defined leader such as vince young. Granted you have about 6 scholarship QBs on the roster, and 4 of them play WR, its still going to be tough for Snead to take over a game late.. this year if he does a whole hell of a lot of growing up mentally over the summer and becomes the player UT needs him to be, they can make it

AggieJohn
06-09-2006, 07:01 AM
the absence of VY is enough to say no, topped with the loss of Micheal Huff and your talking 3-4 losses

hawkfan
06-09-2006, 08:34 AM
No Way. They are going to probably split time between Snead and McCoy. I don't care how great you are are, if you have to split time between QB's you are not going to win the NC.

Pmoney
06-09-2006, 10:00 AM
i still say Texas is good enough it all depends on how the QB jumps into the game...

CenTexSports
06-09-2006, 10:11 AM
It will all depend on how and if the new QB gets the ball to the playmakers. I heard a rumor that Shipley would be the starter over Sweed and if Pittman is healthy he will be a starter again. Also heard that Sneed had the stronger arm but that McCoy was at this point more of a playmaker.

Because of Ohio State, OK, and the Big 12 Champ game, I vote that they will not make it back to the National Champ game. But they will be a very good one or two loss team.

Emerson1
06-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
the absence of VY is enough to say no, topped with the loss of Micheal Huff and your talking 3-4 losses
That's what people said when they lost Cedric Benson and Derrick Johnson.

Why they win:
Return 16/22 starters
3/5 of the best Oline in the country with the 2 replacements seeing plenty of playing time last season.

Defensive will be good, this guy obviously knows what he is doing.
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/2867/419508548l4lj.gif
and these 3 http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/texmexgringo/hookemhorns0152iw.jpg will have something to say to Adrian Peterson.

Michael Griffin is projected to be a top 15 pick and Aaron Ross is still the best returnman in the country.

Return all the running backs except Ramonce and the WR corp will be better than last year, didn't lose anybody plus Jordan Shipley might actually get to play.

Why they won't: The quarterbacks, if one of them doesn't step up then no NC this year.

Phil C
06-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I think they have a shot going all the way even with the lack of experience at QB. But it should really get going good in 2007 and beyond when these great recruting classes come together.

schu1213
06-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I say no just because of the qb spot. If periloux sp? woudl have gone to ut rather than lsu i would say they would have the best shot at winning it

Emerson1
06-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Periloux won't even be the backup at LSU.

wedo
06-09-2006, 01:52 PM
I think that they will!!! Only if they go with one qb and stick with him. If the qb can manage the game fairly well they will go undefeated!! Look back at how good Michigan did in 04 when they had a freshman qb they went somthing like 10-1 i think. If they can get some play like that out of the qb they will win!!! B/c that defense is going to keep oppent's scores really low!!!

Texas has too much Depth

schu1213
06-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Periloux won't even be the backup at LSU.

Maybe so but he would be starting at ut.