PDA

View Full Version : Articles: 3A State baseball semi games

pirate4state
06-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Leopards pounce on BC miscues, take semifinal 7-3

Southeast Texas News Group

ROUND ROCK -- Liberty-Eylau pitcher Will Middlebrooks pitched a complete-game, five-hitter but allowed no earned runs, and Leopard hitters took advantage of an uncharacteristic 11 walks issued by the Cardinal pitchers to claim a 7-3 win over Bridge City at Round Rock's Dell Diamond in the Class 3A State Semifinals Wednesday.

"There's no magic words to say after a loss like that," said Bryant. "When you're still in the game, you just have to play. Their pitcher just kept us off-balanced at the plate and got us to strike out too many times."

Middlebrooks (15-2) walked just one and struck out eight as the Leopards (25-14) move on to play the Abilene Wylie-Falfurrias in today's 3A title game.

BC senior Kevin Angelle (12-2) lasted five-plus innings, scattering four hits and five walks while striking out seven in his final appearance in a Cardinal uniform.

The Cards (33-6) fell behind 3-0 early after two-and-a-half, but Angelle dealt the blow to even the game at 3-3, a two-run double in the third. He went on to retire six of the next hitters he faced in the fourth and fifth innings to keep the Leopards off the scoreboard, but it finally caught up to him in the sixth.

The lefty, who was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 13th round on Tuesday, gave up a leadoff hit to Michael Bryan and walked the No. 9 hitter, freshman Blaze Powell to put a pair of runners on base with no outs and the game still knotted at 3-3.

That's when Bridge City coach Billy Bryant elected to go with sophomore Phillip Meeks out of the bullpen to come in and shut down the rally.

"I know what I'm going to do before I go out there to take a pitcher out," said Bryant. "I don't mind asking him how he feels, but if I feel like the pitcher is struggling, then you just have to make the move. Every decision that I make is based on what gives us the best chance to win. He wasn't effective anymore at that point."

However, Meeks walked the first hitter he faced, Michael Reed to fill the bases, but got Cory Wells to ground into a fielder's choice with the throw from A.J. Hecker coming home for the force. Meeks walked Middlebrooks to give L-E the lead for good. Reed scored on a passed ball but walked Zach Fowler, and junior Jeff Stringer entered the game to try to halt the Leopard rally.

"You just can't put people on base like we did with walks," said Bryant. "You can't allow good teams to get on base with walks."

Stringer induced a fly ball off the bat of Keith Allen, but Wells, who had taken third on the passed ball, scored easily on the sacrifice fly to give Liberty-Eylau a 6-3 lead.

The Leopards took a 2-0 lead in the first inning after Reed led off with a walk and Wells singled in front of Rory Scales in right to put a pair of runners on.

Middlebrooks reached on an error by second baseman Troy Bolton that scored Reed, and after Angelle got Fowler to pop up to catcher Casey Jackson and struck out Allen, Jarrod McFee plated the Leopards second run on an infield single in the whole that scored Wells.

L-E padded its lead in the third courtesy of another unearned run when Allen reached on a two-out error by Bolton, stole second and took third on a wild pitch.

After McFee walked, Josh Attaway singled through the left side to score Allen and give L-E a 3-0 edge. Bolton made up for his pair of miscues in the bottom of the third when he singled with runners at first and second and one out to put the Cards on the board, 3-1, after Scales, who reached on a Texas League single to right, scored.

Derrick Coleman, who reached on a fielder's choice, took third on an errant throw by L-E center fielder Reed towards the plate and touched home along with Bolton, who scored from first, on Angelle's double into the left field corner.

The game remained tied at 3-3 after Angelle retired the side in order in the fourth and Middlebrooks equaled his performance by getting three straight BC batters in their bottom half of the fourth.

The Leopards threatened in the fifth when Allen and McFee drew back-to-back, two-out walks but Angelle settled down to get Attaway to line out for the third out.

Down 6-3 in the bottom of the sixth, Jackson singled for BC with two outs, but the Cards couldn't take advantage of the baserunner when A.J. Hecker struck out looking.

Liberty-Eylau tacked on an insurance run in the top of the seventh. Stringer walked Attaway to lead off the frame, and after getting Bryan to ground out to second, gave up a run-scoring single by Powell.

Scales entered in relief, making his first mound appearance in several weeks, and later got Fowler to ground into a fielder's choice to send the Cards to their final at-bat.

"I was excited when Coach called me in to pitch," said Scales. "I was excited that we were in most of the game. It just didn't work out for us."

The task proved to be too big to undertake as the Cards went down in order in the bottom of the seventh when Stringer struck out, Scales popped up in left-field foul territory and Coleman went down swinging to end BC's season.

"We just didn't play well," said Bryant. "When you're at the state tournament, you have to play well to win and we didn't play well today."

"At this point, I thought we would have played cleaner baseball," said Bryant. "We've played 38 games prior to today. You've just got to keep playing. The sun will come up tomorrow, and you've got to go on and mow your yard. Life goes on."

link (http://www.panews.com/sports/local_story_159001342.html?keyword=topstory)

pirate4state
06-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Michelle Christenson/Caller-Times

http://mas.scripps.com/CCCT/2006/06/08/p-5fal0608_d.jpg
Falfurrias’ Ruben Cisneros slides into home on a single by Trey Alegria as Abilene Wylie’s catcher Greg Johnson waits for the throw in the first inning of the Jerseys’ Class 3A state semifinal victory at The Dell Diamond in Round Rock on Wednesday.

Falfurrias finish
Jerseys head to championship on heels of late four-run rally

By GEORGE VONDRACEK Caller-Times
June 8, 2006

ROUND ROCK - Falfurrias High School has found itself in tight spots during this baseball season, especially since the playoffs have arrived.

Wednesday night in the Class 3A semifinals was no different at The Dell Diamond.

On the proverbial ropes again for the fifth time in as many ballgames, the Jerseys rallied for four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning. Keyed by Eric Silvas' two-run double, Fal beat Abilene Wylie 5-2 and earned a shot to win its second state title in today's championship game.

"That's why they're here," Fal coach David Salinas said of his fourth-ranked Jerseys. "They have a lot of character and a lot of pride."

Fal (29-6) will face Texarkana Liberty-Eylau for the 3A title at 6 p.m. today. The Leopards defeated No. 1 Bridge City 7-3 in the first semifinal game on Wednesday. Fal will be the home team today in its third state final appearance.

Trailing 2-1 against hard-luck Wylie losing pitcher Stetson Taylor (9-4), the Jerseys got four successive hits to open their half of the sixth. Trey Alegria's RBI single tied the game after Ruben Cisneros and Smiley Alegria both singled. Silvas, who had struck out in his previous two at-bats against Taylor, roped an 0-1 pitch for a two-run double for the lead off reliever Michael Strong. One out and two wild pitches later, Silvas scored the Jerseys' final run.

"The ball was rising and cutting into our right-handers," Salinas said. "He (Taylor) lost his control and we did a good job of taking pitches."

Cisneros (7-0) earned his second win in relief in the postseason. He set down four of the final five Bulldogs and was aided by a double play. Cisneros came on in relief of Jason Garcia and induced Derek Saltzgaber to line into a double play to escape damage and set down three of four in the seventh.

"I just knew I had to stop them," Cisneros said. "For a while we might have been down, but then we got those big hits. Once we got the key hits, we pulled our heads back up. That got us back in the game."

In its fourth trip to the state tournament, it appeared that ninth-ranked Wylie (28-8) was going to make a sixth-inning, bases-loaded walk to Taylor from Fal's Jason Garcia stand before Cisneros entered.

"He's clutch," Salinas said of Cisneros. "He's been like that all year long. He's nothing special, but he throws strikes and lets our defense play defense. That's what we're good at. That's the key."

Though Cisneros and the Jerseys escaped that inning by allowing only one run, all it did was put them in the same precarious position they found themselves in the Region IV-3A final against rival Sinton and against West Columbia a round earlier. Both occasions, the Jerseys had to rally to emerge victorious.

A model of consistency this season, Fal starter Gilbert Vela made a strong bid for the 21st no-hitter in tournament history. The right-hander set down the first 11 Bulldogs before Blake Lemen singled with two outs in the fourth. Two pitches later, Vela's shutout was gone as well when Spencer Davis lined a ball past Silvas in left field, tying the game at 1.

Vela, who entered the game with a 1.31 earned-run average in the postseason and 1.04 for the season, exited after issuing his only walk with an out in the sixth and Garcia entered the game. Vela threw 67 pitches, 46 for strikes.

Taylor matched him until tiring in the sixth after throwing 93 pitches. But it wasn't before Fal broke quickly, scoring a run in the first. Cisneros was hit by a pitch with one out, moved to second on Smiley Alegria's groundout and scored on Trey Alegria's single to center.

LIBERTY-EYLAU 7, BRIDGE CITY 3

The unranked Leopards earned a spot in today's 3A championship game by knocking off the top-ranked Cardinals. Liberty-Eylau, at 25-14 with the poorest win-loss record of any of the state tournament teams, got to highly touted left-hander Kevin Angelle in the sixth inning for a single run and then scored two more off reliever Phillip Meeks.

Picked in the 13th round (388th overall) by the Texas Rangers in the amateur draft, Angelle (12-2) allowed a single to Clay Jeffirs and walked No. 9 batter Blaze Powell before being lifted for Meeks, who walked the bases loaded before the Cardinals (33-6) got a force out at the plate.

But a bases-loaded walk - one of 11 free passes issued by four Bridge City pitchers - to Leopards pitcher Will Middlebrooks, a wild pitch and Zach Fowler's sacrifice fly gave E-L a 6-3 lead.

Middlebrooks (15-2) went the distance, scattering five hits, striking out eight and walking one. All three of BC's runs were unearned. Middlebrooks couldn't hold an early lead that the Leopards staked him, however, as an error and Angelle's two-run double in the third knotted the game at 3.

The Leopards, who won their sixth consecutive game despite leaving 12 runners on base, took a 2-0 lead in the first on an error and Jarrod McFee's infield single. They added a single run in the third on Josh Attaway's RBI single and added insurance in the seventh on Powell's single to left-center.

link (http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_821_4759483,00.html)

Adidas410s
06-08-2006, 10:25 AM
over 3000 in attendance for the 2nd game...pretty good crowd!

pirate4state
06-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Silvas keeps swinging to send Fal to 3A final

By JAVIER BECERRA Caller-Times
June 8, 2006

ROUND ROCK - Eric Silvas had every reason to feel the way he did.

Having struck out his first two times at the plate in Wednesday night's Class 3A state semifinal against Abilene Wylie, it probably seemed easier for the Falfurrias junior to just give up. David Salinas didn't see it happening.

"I told him he was due and to keep his head in the game," the longtime coach said. "I told him he had to believe. He just shook his head and I had a gut feeling he was going to come through."

Silvas responded with a two-run double to right-center field in the sixth inning that sparked Falfurrias to a 5-2 victory in front of 3,104 fans at The Dell Diamond in Round Rock. The rally put the Jerseys in today's championship game against Texarkana Liberty-Eylau, which upset top seed Bridge City 7-3 in the first semifinal.

Falfurrias trailed 2-1 when Ruben Cisneros led of the bottom of the sixth with a walk. Smiley Alegria followed with a bunt that caught pitcher Stetson Taylor, first baseman Spencer Davis and second baseman Derek Saltzgaber out of position.

Taylor chased after the ball, but couldn't come up with the play. Trey Alegria's ensuing chopper up the middle scored Cisneros to tie the score 1-1 and chased Taylor from the game

Silvas then smacked a shot off reliever Michael Strong to the gap in right-center that drove in Smiley Alegria for the winning run. Trey Alegria also scored on the play to give Falfurrias a 4-2 lead, to which courtesy runner Steven Serna extended after charging home on a wild pitch.

It all started with Silvas.

"Coach just told me to believe and just keep on trying," he said. "I knew I needed to come up with a hit. It was awesome."

Silvas struck out looking with one on in the bottom of the first and went down swinging his second time up. Salinas knew right away something wasn't right.

"He's a lot better hitter than that," Salinas said. "He usually makes contact, but it was a big game and he was trying too hard."

Cisneros, who earned the win in relief, had faith in his teammate.

"We really needed that hit," Cisneros said of Silvas. "That got the rally going and we didn't stop there. Eric came up big."

link (http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_821_4759481,00.html)

Maroon87
06-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
over 3000 in attendance for the 2nd game...pretty good crowd!

I can pretty much guarantee that there's not a single living soul in Fal today...;)

Adidas410s
06-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I can pretty much guarantee that there's not a single living soul in Fal today...;)

from what Injured told me last night it sounds like the entire town is in Austin.