PDA

View Full Version : Burnet Enrollment

olddawggreen
06-07-2006, 01:20 PM
I added this to the "Who you would like your team to play" thread, but I'm chapped about this that I thought it deserved its own thread. I'm just currious how many other schools have encountered this problem. I think Fredricksburg has a simular problem, but not sure who else.

The following were the last three enrollment counts at Burnet High School.

4/12/06 4/20/06 5/25/06

9th 272 272 267
10th 209 208 209
11th 238 238 234
12th 200 200 199
Total 919 918 909

The numbers below are the last three enrollment counts at the Quest School, this school has their own separate campus, schedule and graduation. To distinguish itself from the Burnet High School, Quest colors are silver and maroon. The mascot is a knight. Its because the UIL requires Burnet High School to enclude the enrollment of the Quest School in their enrollment count, that Burnet is in 4A in the first place. The kids in the Quest school cannot and do not participate in the Burnet High School sports program.

9th 10 10 8
10th 15 15 14
11th 15 15 12
12th 16 17 11
Total 56 57 45

Sorry Guys, but I think this Sux! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Old Dog
06-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Still thing we should sue the UIL. At least stir the pot somewhat!!

DaHop72
06-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I added this to the "Who you would like your team to play" thread, but I'm chapped about this that I thought it deserved its own thread. I'm just currious how many other schools have encountered this problem. I think Fredricksburg has a simular problem, but not sure who else.

4/12/06 4/20/06 5/25/06

9th 272 272 267
10th 209 208 209
11th 238 238 234
12th 200 200 199
Total 919 918 909

The numbers below are the last three enrollment counts at the Quest School, this school has their own separate campus, schedule and graduation. To distinguish itself from the Burnet High School, Quest colors are silver and maroon. The mascot is a knight. Its because the UIL requires Burnet High School to enclude the enrollment of the Quest School in their enrollment count, that Burnet is in 4A in the first place. The kids in the Quest school cannot and do not participate in the Burnet High School sports program.

9th 10 10 8
10th 15 15 14
11th 15 15 12
12th 16 17 11
Total 56 57 45

I would have to agree with you olddawg.

Adidas410s
06-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Has an appeal not been filed?

KTJ
06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Has an appeal not been filed?

If Burnet appeals, then every other school in the state who has to count their "alternative school" gets to appeal too.

Phil C
06-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen

4/12/06 4/20/06 5/25/06

9th 272 272 267
10th 209 208 209
11th 238 238 234
12th 200 200 199
Total 919 918 909

9th 10 10 8
10th 15 15 14
11th 15 15 12
12th 16 17 11
Total 56 57 45

If the UIL reqiures Burnet High School to EXCLUDE the enrollment count of the Quest School as you have written above then what are you complaining about? :confused:

DaHop72
06-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
If the UIL reqiures Burnet High School to EXCLUDE the enrollment count of the Quest School as you have written above then what are you complaining about? :confused: He is saying they have to include not exclude.

DaHop72
06-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
If Burnet appeals, then every other school in the state who has to count their "alternative school" gets to appeal too. And rightfully so if they choose to.

Adidas410s
06-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
If Burnet appeals, then every other school in the state who has to count their "alternative school" gets to appeal too.

and what is wrong with that? Why should ANY school have to count kids who are unable to participate in any sort of extracurricular activities?

Phil C
06-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
And rightfully so if they choose to.

Since he met include I also concur. But it does sound like Burnet must be having trouble in 4A. :)

DaHop72
06-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Since he met include I also concur. But it does sound like Burnet must be having trouble in 4A. :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Blastoderm55
06-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Isn't the threshold for 4A 1000? :confused: My math isn't what it used to be, but it doesn't add up for me.

3afan
06-07-2006, 02:10 PM
950 & UP is 4A

Chris Hart
06-07-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm with you ODG, it really bites! The two teams we've had the last two years since moving to 4A would've been very successful in the 3A ranks. They were pretty durn good in 4A, but were just in one of the toughest districts in the state. I wouldn't have any problem with Burnet having to include the 'Quest' school if the students there were from Burnet only, and were eligible for extra-curricular activities at Burnet high, but they're not. Some of the students at the Quest are from Marble Falls, Llano and other surrounding communities. But, from the other side, if the Burnet administration has not appealed the situation(which I don't believe they have), then they are as much to blame as the UIL. All the Dawgs can do is suck it up, and just practice and play a little harder than our competition and make a name in 4A, which I think they will.

olddawggreen
06-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
I'm with you ODG, it really bites! The two teams we've had the last two years since moving to 4A would've been very successful in the 3A ranks. They were pretty durn good in 4A, but were just in one of the toughest districts in the state. I wouldn't have any problem with Burnet having to include the 'Quest' school if the students there were from Burnet only, and were eligible for extra-curricular activities at Burnet high, but they're not. Some of the students at the Quest are from Marble Falls, Llano and other surrounding communities. But, from the other side, if the Burnet administration has not appealed the situation(which I don't believe they have), then they are as much to blame as the UIL. All the Dawgs can do is suck it up, and just practice and play a little harder than our competition and make a name in 4A, which I think they will.

Actually I've asked a school board member to research the problem and explain to me why Quest does have to be counted. Other school districts have more than one high school. Whats the difference here?

Emerson1
06-07-2006, 02:43 PM
What kind of school is it? I know Forney has a seperate campus for students who get in really bad trouble, it's all Forney HS students who just got in trouble. No reason for the UIL not to count them.

olddawggreen
06-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
What kind of school is it? I know Forney has a seperate campus for students who get in really bad trouble, it's all Forney HS students who just got in trouble. No reason for the UIL not to count them.

The following is from the Quest web site;

Highland Lakes Achievement Center first opened it's doors in 1993. It is now home to several distinct district and community-based programs.

Quest High School is truly the flagship of the Achievement Center with its state-of-the-art computer learning center and on-line NovaNET curriculum. To distinguish itself from the Burnet High School, Quest colors are silver and maroon. The mascot is a knight.

The Quest lab is periodically used after school hours as a community computer lab and it is available by appointment to BCISD On-Line students taking distance learning courses who must come in for final exams.

Teen parenting and pregnancy related services are also provided at the Highland Lakes Achievement Center for any district student regardless of home campus.

The Alternative Behavior Center II (ABCII) is the BCISD Disciplinary Alternative Educational Program for grades 6-12. Students whose behavior necessitates removal from their home campuses are placed at the center.

Highland Lakes Achievement Center also provides classroom space two evenings per week - September through July - for community members seeking their General Equivalency Diploma or GED.

KTJ
06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
and what is wrong with that? Why should ANY school have to count kids who are unable to participate in any sort of extracurricular activities?

Neither are kids who fail their classes. But they are still counted in the final numbers, aren't they?

pero chato
06-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Does Quest have any type of sports program? Why bother with a mascot and colors if they don't? If they're trying to separate themselves from Burnet ISD, then they should not be included in the enrollment count. I don't see how difficult it would be to make a statewide policy change if there are other schools in the same situation.

Matthew328
06-07-2006, 06:08 PM
lots of districts have alternative high schools and their kids are counted against their UIL # just like Burnet...and those kids aren't eligible for athletics either

wildstangs
06-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Sweetwater had to count the Hobbs Alternative School for several years.

lostaussie
06-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
lots of districts have alternative high schools and their kids are counted against their UIL # just like Burnet...and those kids aren't eligible for athletics either thats absolutely crazy. a seperate school, a seperate mascot, different school colors, and the are not even eligible. burnett is getting the high hard one.

olddawggreen
06-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
lots of districts have alternative high schools and their kids are counted against their UIL # just like Burnet...and those kids aren't eligible for athletics either

Thats true, but I wonder how many other schools are pushed into the next Division by their alternative schools? It looks to me like these schools should be counted as another school within the district.

olddawggreen
06-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
Does Quest have any type of sports program? Why bother with a mascot and colors if they don't? If they're trying to separate themselves from Burnet ISD, then they should not be included in the enrollment count. I don't see how difficult it would be to make a statewide policy change if there are other schools in the same situation.

They have no type of sports program. I understand that they have a totally different schedule and hours than Burnet High School does.