PDA

View Full Version : HELP with MS Excel

Adidas410s
06-06-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm pretty good with Excel...but I can't figure out how to do something. Anybody know what to do???

I need to enter a bunch of numbers (3234, 5051, 5054) and want to put them all into one cell. I know that I can use a comma to enter all of them. My problem is that I also need a way to sort the spreadsheet by any of the numbers within that cell. The numbers represent the different types of products/services that our customers specialize in. Some customers may be just a 5051 while others have 7 or 8 different codes next to their name. Is it possible for me to enter all of the numbers into the same cell and then be able to sort by any of the numbers...regardless of the order in which they are entered?

Ranger Mom
06-06-2006, 01:18 PM
I don't think so. I am pretty sure the sort function is by "cell", I don't think you can sort within one cell!

Adidas410s
06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't think so. I am pretty sure the sort function is by "cell", I don't think you can sort within one cell!

Yeah. I think I would be better off doing this all in Access though because you can search a database....you can't search a spreadsheet. The only problem is that I already have all this data in Excel and it's about 2500 lines by 45 columns. There may be an import option. Oh well...I'm not as familiar with Access either! :(

Ranger Mom
06-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Why do they all need to be in one cell?

STANG RED
06-06-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure you cannot sort within a cell. You can sort all your cells within a column or a row with a pulldown, but there is no function to sort within a single cell. If there is, I dont know of it.

Adidas410s
06-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Why do they all need to be in one cell?

They don't need to be...but I don't want to make the spreadsheet any bigger. Also...say that a company A has 5051 as their only code. Well say Company B has 5051 as one of their 8 codes...well then I would have to put that in the same column for the sort to work. I guess I could create columns that say yes/no and have each code listed at the top...but there are so many possible codes that a company could have. It's amazing how many different things a business can do with steel...and the many different types of steel.

Ranger Mom
06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
They don't need to be...but I don't want to make the spreadsheet any bigger. Also...say that a company A has 5051 as their only code. Well say Company B has 5051 as one of their 8 codes...well then I would have to put that in the same column for the sort to work. I guess I could create columns that say yes/no and have each code listed at the top...but there are so many possible codes that a company could have. It's amazing how many different things a business can do with steel...and the many different types of steel.

If you have a number in one cell (1A) and a number in the next cell (2A), you could put any additional number that might have in 2B, 2C, 2D, etc. If you hilighted the cells and sorted by column "A" only, it's gonna take all the cells that are alongside 2A with it wherever it sorts 2A too!

3ABirdMan
06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
You could also use a seperate spreadsheet for the Customer name list, utilizing only 1 cell, and put the codes on another spreadsheet using individual cells for each code. Then link the second range of cells to the first spreadsheet. That way you could add data, sort, etc on the second sheet and only the updates would show on the first sheet.

I realize this is about as clear as mud - Send me PM and i will email you an example.

There is a way to put multiple rows in 1 cell, if this will help. Type a number in cell A1, and at the VERY END of the number, hold down the <alt> key and hit <return>. It will force a second line, like a return, in the same cell. That would let you list your data:) , but you won't be able to sort it:(

STANG RED
06-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Cant you just sort by company name first?
Then it wont matter if they have like code #s.

slpybear the bullfan
06-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Yes.... this would make a much better ACCESS database than an EXCEL spreadsheet.

Adidas410s
06-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Yes.... this would make a much better ACCESS database than an EXCEL spreadsheet.

I agree. However, the data was initially put in because there were a lot of formulas being run against the data for analysis...so Excel made that easy to do. Now that we need to add these customer information codes next to their names so that we can group them into different types of buyers...Access would be the better choice. I got some good info from 3ABM yesterday...I'm gonna try and play with it tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

buffpride
06-07-2006, 06:57 PM
My vote is to give up. Sounds too complicated. Excel has always given me fits. I even have a manual on Excel and can't find what your looking for. Good Luck!!