PDA

View Full Version : abilene wylie baseball

sportsfan46
06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
When was the last time wylie went to the state tournament in baseball (01' if im not mistaken) and who were their key players in the playoffs.

injuredinmelee
06-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Kent Foster, Casey Wunderlich, Hank Casey, Brett Unger, just to name a few. They played Sinton and Adrian Alaniz in the semis.

Adidas410s
06-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Kent Foster, Casey Wunderlich, Hank Casey, Brett Unger, just to name a few. They played Sinton and Adrian Alaniz in the semis.

They went in 2002 not 2001. Unger is my age so he was gone. I would throw in Danny Ruth and Lance Loza as the two big parts of that team.

sportsfan46
06-07-2006, 11:17 AM
i work with a guy who says the loza kid is his cousin and that he hit somewhere close to a .600 batting average in the playoffs. Just curious, does anybody remember their record that year? He also says that the '02 team has the school record for wins that year.

Adidas410s
06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by sportsfan46
i work with a guy who says the loza kid is his cousin and that he hit somewhere close to a .600 batting average in the playoffs. Just curious, does anybody remember their record that year? He also says that the '02 team has the school record for wins that year.

They finished 31-7...losing to Sinton in the semifinals.

sportsfan46
06-07-2006, 12:09 PM
He also said the year before in '01 they were even better but lost to some hard throwing lefty in the regional finals. Only losses were to midland high (5a champs) amarillo high (5a) aledo and iowa park. What was their record that year. Supposedly started off the year like 20-1 or something like that.

mustang04
06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
, Casey Wunderlich, .

does he have a sister named lacey????? haha, i know her

pero chato
06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by sportsfan46
He also said the year before in '01 they were even better but lost to some hard throwing lefty in the regional finals. Only losses were to midland high (5a champs) amarillo high (5a) aledo and iowa park. What was their record that year. Supposedly started off the year like 20-1 or something like that.

I think you're right about the record. The hard throwing lefty was from Iowa Park named Chase Wright. Wylie finally got a few hits late in the game but until then he was unhittable. Throwing low 90's I believe. He's playing in the Yankees organization, class A (?).

GreenMonster
06-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
I think you're right about the record. The hard throwing lefty was from Iowa Park named Chase Wright. Wylie finally got a few hits late in the game but until then he was unhittable. Throwing low 90's I believe. He's playing in the Yankees organization, class A (?).

He is currently with the Yankees Class A Tampa Yankees. He is 2-0 with a 2.96 ERA in 20 appearances out of the bullpen and no saves. Good kid, still throws in the low to mid 90's. Has had some arm trouble and has been under the knife. Yankees are trying to make a reliever out of him so he was dropped back down to Class A. Has been as high as Double A. I expect that he will start climbing up the ranks again soon.

pero chato
06-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
He is currently with the Yankees Class A Tampa Yankees. He is 2-0 with a 2.96 ERA in 20 appearances out of the bullpen and no saves. Good kid, still throws in the low to mid 90's. Has had some arm trouble and has been under the knife. Yankees are trying to make a reliever out of him so he was dropped back down to Class A. Has been as high as Double A. I expect that he will start climbing up the ranks again soon.

We were eating at a restaurant before the IP/Wylie game in Graham and wished good luck to the folks next to us from Iowa Park. Well it turned out to be the parents of Chase. We then tried to take the "good luck" back, but it was too late. LOL! Nice folks. I wish him well and hope to see him in the majors.

Adidas410s
06-07-2006, 04:29 PM
We were eating at a restaurant before the IP/Wylie game in Graham and wished good luck to the folks next to us from Iowa Park. Well it turned out to be the parents of Chase. We then tried to take the "good luck" back, but it was too late. LOL! Nice folks. I wish him well and hope to see him in the majors.

You would do something like that! j/k

pero chato
06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
You would do something like that! j/k

As your former Sunday School teacher I would advise you to behave. LOL

Adidas410s
06-07-2006, 04:34 PM
As your former Sunday School teacher I would advise you to behave. LOL

Now you're just making yourself sound old!

hookandladder
06-08-2006, 07:05 AM

Yes he could definitely bring the heat, we (LaGrange) beat him in the Semi-Finals in Austin that year. We also had a pretty good freshman pitcher that year named Homer Bailey.