PDA

View Full Version : buy a house before its too late

pirate44
06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
the 30 year fixed mortgage hit a 4 year high of 6.66%:eek:

we got 7.0 when we bought a little more than 4 years ago. we refinanced last year for 5.3%. looks like ya better get into a house before its too expensive. i know of 1 pretty big and nice house for sale in Sinton ;)

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-06-2006, 12:21 PM
or you could save up almost a years salary and build a house...when you get back from iraq...:D thats my plan atleast. pay 50 grand to build sell if i like for prolly 4 or 5 times that. i think i could handle that.

pirate44
06-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
or you could save up almost a years salary and build a house...when you get back from iraq...:D thats my plan atleast. pay 50 grand to build sell if i like for prolly 4 or 5 times that. i think i could handle that. 50 grand to build? maybe i misunderstood you, but a cheap contractor will build for 80-90 bucks per square foot. that doesnt include the land. but i agree, if you can pay cash for ANYTHING and not use credit, that is the smartest thing to do.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
yea...you miusunderstood where i said, I was gonna build a house. as in, ME not some stupid contractor. ive already been working on some ideas. im sure i will have mucho time to come up with a finished product at some point in my upcomming vacation from hawaii (i mean that in all seriousness, i need a vacation FROM hawaii)

pirate44
06-06-2006, 12:39 PM
yea...you miusunderstood where i said, I was gonna build a house. as in, ME not some stupid contractor. ive already been working on some ideas. im sure i will have mucho time to come up with a finished product at some point in my upcomming vacation from hawaii (i mean that in all seriousness, i need a vacation FROM hawaii)
oooh. i see. sorry for the mixup. thats a big job, but at least you get the satisfaction of doing it, and saving the money. im planning to draw up some house plans for my parents, but they will definately get a home bulder to do the hard work.

pirate44
06-06-2006, 12:39 PM
(i mean that in all seriousness, i need a vacation FROM hawaii)

according to a lot of people who have been there, you are nuts:D

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-06-2006, 12:42 PM
that makes sense. they are, im assuming they are in their golden years now, a little to old to be doing heavy consturction work, and deserve to sit back and enjoy other people doing it for them. i on the other hand, am an able bodied individual, with lots of friends and family that knows what they are doing when it comes to building houses. how big of a house are your parents wanting? most of the plans i have drawn up are in the average sq ft of a little more than 5000 sq ft. i know its big, but i will build my house.

pirate44
06-06-2006, 12:45 PM
that makes sense. they are, im assuming they are in their golden years now, a little to old to be doing heavy consturction work, and deserve to sit back and enjoy other people doing it for them. i on the other hand, am an able bodied individual, with lots of friends and family that knows what they are doing when it comes to building houses. how big of a house are your parents wanting? most of the plans i have drawn up are in the average sq ft of a little more than 5000 sq ft. i know its big, but i will build my house.
haha..dont tell my parents that. my dad hasnt retired, but prob. will in a few years. he used to help his dad build houses, but its much easier to pay someone especially when you have a full-time job.
youre right, 5,000 is big. im curious as to how you can build that for 50 grand.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
according to a lot of people who have been there, you are nuts:D it would be a nice vacation spot, not a great one, but a nice one. and whom ever it is that is saying that should try and live here and be in the military. once in a great while i will get someone that comes up and says thank you for what i and the rest of us do, but for every one person that does that there are atleast 5 who do the opposite. try looking up kau inoa sometime, basically what it is is a hawaiian rights movement aimed at getting "the white man" out of hawaii, to include the military because we desecrate the native land. wrong its the locals that are torching cars on the side of the road, vandalizing the highways, and causing most of the problems around here. im not saying they are the only ones who do some of the stuff out here, but i know for a fact that everything the military does, be it eat breakfast do a 6 mile run or read a book, there is always environmental considerations put into effect for everything. i just dont like the hipocracy and the double standards that are being held to people out here, to include the HPD, honolulu police dept. thats a whole 'nother rant in itself.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-06-2006, 12:53 PM
haha..dont tell my parents that. my dad hasnt retired, but prob. will in a few years. he used to help his dad build houses, but its much easier to pay someone especially when you have a full-time job.
youre right, 5,000 is big. im curious as to how you can build that for 50 grand. idk, but im gonna make it happen, if i have to get a loan to help build it, thats fine. my credit when i get home will be immaculate, so im not too worried about it.

pirate44
06-06-2006, 12:53 PM
it would be a nice vacation spot, not a great one, but a nice one. and whom ever it is that is saying that should try and live here and be in the military. once in a great while i will get someone that comes up and says thank you for what i and the rest of us do, but for every one person that does that there are atleast 5 who do the opposite. try looking up kau inoa sometime, basically what it is is a hawaiian rights movement aimed at getting "the white man" out of hawaii, to include the military because we desecrate the native land. wrong its the locals that are torching cars on the side of the road, vandalizing the highways, and causing most of the problems around here. im not saying they are the only ones who do some of the stuff out here, but i know for a fact that everything the military does, be it eat breakfast do a 6 mile run or read a book, there is always environmental considerations put into effect for everything. i just dont like the hipocracy and the double standards that are being held to people out here, to include the HPD, honolulu police dept. thats a whole 'nother rant in itself.
wow i had never heard that. that is sad. my brother was stationed at Pearl Harbor and loved it. he really wants to go back someday. my co-worker who lived there for several years and graduated high school there also had great things to say.
maybe that had just happend in the last 5-10 years. if so, i hope things get better

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-06-2006, 12:56 PM
wow i had never heard that. that is sad. my brother was stationed at Pearl Harbor and loved it. he really wants to go back someday. my co-worker who lived there for several years and graduated high school there also had great things to say.
maybe that had just happend in the last 5-10 years. if so, i hope things get better i agree, i hope things get better, for those that will be around when whatever happens happens. i will not. once i get out of the army, my goal in life is to never leave the borders of texas again, unelss of course its for the olympics, but we'll see.

pirate44
06-06-2006, 12:57 PM
i agree, i hope things get better, for those that will be around when whatever happens happens. i will not. once i get out of the army, my goal in life is to never leave the borders of texas again, unelss of course its for the olympics, but we'll see.
i cant knock you for that. good choice.

Aesculus gilmus
06-06-2006, 12:57 PM
it would be a nice vacation spot, not a great one, but a nice one. and whom ever it is that is saying that should try and live here and be in the military. once in a great while i will get someone that comes up and says thank you for what i and the rest of us do, but for every one person that does that there are atleast 5 who do the opposite. try looking up kau inoa sometime, basically what it is is a hawaiian rights movement aimed at getting "the white man" out of hawaii, to include the military because we desecrate the native land. wrong its the locals that are torching cars on the side of the road, vandalizing the highways, and causing most of the problems around here. im not saying they are the only ones who do some of the stuff out here, but i know for a fact that everything the military does, be it eat breakfast do a 6 mile run or read a book, there is always environmental considerations put into effect for everything. i just dont like the hipocracy and the double standards that are being held to people out here, to include the HPD, honolulu police dept. thats a whole 'nother rant in itself.

You make it sound as if you are viewed as an occupying force without which Hawaii would secede and become a kingdom again.

Hawaii wasn't even a state when Pearl Harbor was bombed. I'm not sure to this day why it was a good idea to make it one.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
You make it sound as if you are viewed as an occupying force without which Hawaii would secede and become a kingdom again.

Hawaii wasn't even a state when Pearl Harbor was bombed. I'm not sure to this day why it was a good idea to make it one. basically, that is what they want. to become a soveriegn nation once again. but with out the US military here in hawaii, there would be nothing. the kau inoa something that started in january of 04. kind of a new age thing that young kids around the ages of 15-25 are promoting, we are somewhat viewed as an occupying force out here. its sort of dificult to explain, but if you were here for a long time in the uniform you would feel what im talking about. look up kau inoa on google. did you know that to own land in hawaii you have to be atleast of half native hawaiian ancestry? there are alot of things that as a non-hawaiian/pacific islander im excluded from.

Ranger Mom
06-06-2006, 01:17 PM
My bosses son in law was stationed in Hawaii a few years ago for about 5 years.....he and his wife absolutely HATED it.

They had 2 kids while they were there and when the chance came to relocate, they jumped at it.

They moved to Norfolk, VA....talk about culture shock for those kids who were used to going to the beach everyday!:p

pirate44
06-06-2006, 01:18 PM
my co-worker disagrees. he says you can buy property there. there is one small island that you have to be native to live there though. and there are some schools for natives only. he never experienced anyone wanting to get "away" from being a state. they were more concerned with the Japanese buying up hawaii.

Ranger Mom
06-06-2006, 01:22 PM

Why in the heck would you want a house that big?? That is just more room to mess up and more to clean!

My house is 3,000 square foot, I am afraid when the kids are all gone, me and jimmy are just gonna be rattling away in it!

44INAROW
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Why in the heck would you want a house that big?? That is just more room to mess up and more to clean!

My house is 3,000 square foot, I am afraid when the kids are all gone, me and jimmy are just gonna be rattling away in it!

I hear you, and I plan on doing all that rattling in about 14 months.......... might even start my own COUNTDOWN........:D

Ranger Mom
06-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I hear you, and I plan on doing all that rattling in about 14 months.......... might even start my own COUNTDOWN........:D

I haven't gone through the empty nest syndrome yet....my kids just leave and come back.

The oldest doesn't live at home, but he lives about 3 miles away. He is always at my house, using the computer, borrowing the vacuum cleaner, coming over to see what we are eating for supper. Last week he had to work nights, when he got off, he came by and had a bowl of cereal and went home to sleep!

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-06-2006, 04:05 PM
my co-worker disagrees. he says you can buy property there. there is one small island that you have to be native to live there though. and there are some schools for natives only. he never experienced anyone wanting to get "away" from being a state. they were more concerned with the Japanese buying up hawaii. anyone can buy a HOUSE. thats not the issue, the property im talking about is the land that the house sits on that you have to be atleast 50% hawaiian to own. and then on top of that its only a 99 yr lease. as for the seceding and all that, the kau inoa search will pull up everything you need to know.