PDA

View Full Version : 3A State Baseball Tournament: The Downlow Lowdown

GWOOD
06-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Did a little research on each team from websites, newspaper articles, and message boards. Here is my assessment of the 4 teams in the 3A tournament along with my predictions. I have only seen one of these teams play so feel free to disagree and/or add your own insights to this thread:

Bridge City Cardinals (33-5)
The #1 ranked team most of the season. They are the only team in 3A returning from last year’s state tournament. They were not satisfied with their bronze medal last year. While most teams were just trying to get to the state tournament, Bridge City has on their mind winning the state tournament. They are on a mission.

They are led by arguably the #2 pitcher in 3A, Kevin Angelle. Not only is he a superb pitcher with a couple of no-hitters under his belt this year, but he also is their cleanup hitter and leads the team with a .457 BA. But this is not a one man show. They also have SS Derrick Coleman, voted the 24-3A Offensive Player of the Year, who is the leadoff hitter batting .448. He has signed with Panola Jr. College to play next year. Johnny Dishon, the junior CF is very dangerous in the #3 spot, batting .441. Add to that mix the Super Soph catcher Casey Jackson, who leads the team with 11 HR’s and 44 RBI’s, and you have a very potent lineup.

The biggest question mark for Bridge City is if they get to Championship Game can their pitching get them a win in the finals? Sr. Broc Hayman and Jr. Jeff Stringer have provided a lot of help all year with effective relief from Jr. Phillip Meeks. But they have not faced many teams who hit the ball like Abilene Wylie and Falfurrias.

Texarkana Liberty-Eylau Leopards (24-14)
Do you know Will Middlebrooks? The Junior P/SS will likely be the preseason candidate for the 3A Player of the Year in 2007. This kid just gets better each week. He is considered to be one of the top two pitchers in Region 2 this year and he has gone crazy at the plate during the playoffs, having reached base safely 31 times in 37 trips in 10 playoff games, including three home runs, two triples, and five doubles. After a full season, he is now comfortable in his role as leader of this team, even though he is only a junior.

The big question is can Middlebrooks’ pitching and hitting carry the Leopards to a victory against Bridge City in their first ever trip to the state tournament? In L-E's last game, Lindale pitched around Middlebrooks, walking him 3 times, and his teammates responded. Senior 3b Jarrod McFee went 2-for-4 with three RBIs, Senior 2B Corey Wells had two hits and Junior 1B/P Zach Fowler drove in two runs in their 6-3 victory over Lindale. If they can get that kind of help from the other players against Bridge City they might have a chance.

Liberty-Eylau has a lot of losses this year, much of that from a heavy schedule of 4A teams in the early part of the season. But they have won 20 out of their last 25. They were never supposed to get past Carthage two weeks ago nor Lindale this past weekend. But they seem to be a team that is getting hot at the right time of the year.

Prediction: Bridge City wins easily over Liberty-Eylau

Falfurrias Jerseys (28-6)
Falfurrias is the youngest team in the tournament with only three Senior starters. They do not really have a dominating player but do a very good job in all aspects of the game—pitching, hitting, and defense. Coach David Salinas has led Falfurrias to a state championship back in 1993 so he knows what it takes to make it happen.

Senior Gilbert Vela has been the #1 pitcher all season staking an 8-0 mark and an ERA under 1.00 through district play. His first loss of the season came at the hands of 5A state ranked Mission Sharyland in a warm-up game. But as overpowering as he was during the regular season, he has been less effective--and several times very hittable--in the playoffs. However #2 starter, junior Jason Garcia has gained more control of his pitches and has been very effective in the playoffs, including going all 11 innings in the Jerseys’ 8-6 win over West Columbia. It will be interesting to see who Salinas starts vs. Abilene Wylie.

All nine of Falfurrias’ starters are hitting over .300, led by Vela, Garcia, and Junior Eric Silvas. They can spray the ball all over the field and will try to produce runs anyway they can. Defense is a strength for this ballclub as they don’t make many mistakes. They made only 11 errors in nine playoff games and came up with big plays at key moments throughout the playoffs.

Abilene Wylie Bulldogs (27-8)
Very likely the best hitting team in the 3A bracket, having scored 100 runs in 10 playoff games. Senior SS Blake Lemen may be one of the most underrated hitters in 3A with a batting average of .484. Many of his hits are in crucial times--starting a rally, driving in runs, or two out base hits. He gets a lot of help from sophomore Mason Macnoll (.439) and seniors Stetson Taylor (.421) and Chase Davis (.382).

Their pitching is fair. Wylie doesn't have a pitcher who will shut you down but they are more than adequate and can look to a number of guys to find the one with the hot hand. Taylor has been the #1 starter but Davis, juniors Michael Strong (9-0) and Landon Lindley, along with Macnoll, are all ready to come in and help.

The biggest question mark for Wylie is defense. They have been plagued with errors in the playoffs, committing 16 in their last 2 playoff series. The Bulldogs are not bad defensively-they will make some great plays during the game--they just tend to make some bad throws and occassionally boot some balls. They will need to keep making some of the great plays and cut down on errors if they want to win in Austin.

Prediction: Wylie wins in extra innings.

Championship Game: Bridge City gets the gold medal in a win over Wylie!

Bullaholic
06-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Outstanding work, GWOOD. Thanks. I agree that BC should win it all this year.

Adidas410s
06-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the info. No disputing your predictions here...

SintonFan
06-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Fal should take Wylie...

injuredinmelee
06-06-2006, 10:09 AM
I looked forward to it and was rewarded handsomely.

pirate4state
06-06-2006, 11:19 AM
:clap: Great summary!! 100 runs in 10 playoff games?? :eek: Is pitching that weak in Region I? :thinking:

I'll pick Falfurrias to beat Abilene Wylie. Defense wins championships -- can't say that enough! :thumbsup:

Adidas410s
06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:clap: Great summary!! 100 runs in 10 playoff games?? :eek: Is pitching that weak in Region I? :thinking:

I'll pick Falfurrias to beat Abilene Wylie. Defense wins championships -- can't say that enough! :thumbsup:

Wylie has always had plenty of kids that could hit. It's been that way every year since I can remember. They have started advancing deeper into the playoffs the last 6 years because they have started developing a few good pitchers that can keep them in a game when the bats aren't so hot. I'm not sure what's causing all of the errors though...they are usually fairly solid defensively. Pitching is typically the main concern but not as much this season.

neck_06
06-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Fal should take Wylie...

i think so too.

injuredinmelee
06-06-2006, 11:28 AM
do you pick them because the ELIMINATED you or you think they are that good? Everyone knows region IV is the joke in sports...
;) ;) ;)

SintonFan_inAustin
06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
If Fal plays like they been playing where they dont make many mistakes and let the other teams beat themselves, i think they can win it all with two pitchers that can keep them in games and a Closer to finish of games.

Bridge City vs Fal for Championship

with Fal winning As defense usually dont have slumps but offensives do.

pirate4state
06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
do you pick them because the ELIMINATED you or you think they are that good? Everyone knows region IV is the joke in sports...
;) ;) ;)

They are pretty good. It has nothing to do with them knocking Sinton out. This years Sinton team really surprised ME. They only had 3 seniors on the team and I thought (that's what I get for thinking) that they'd be in a rebuilding year! These youngsters will be a force to reckon with next year!! :thumbsup:

I just realized you could've been talking to neck_06 too. :doh: :D

injuredinmelee
06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I dont think they can hold the Wylie bats in check. Wylie has faced some very good pitching the last 3 weeks and you can see what they have done. If Wylie keeps the errors to a minimum and do not allow teams to capitalize on those mistakes they beat Falfurrias.

Bridge City still wins the whole enchilada.

neck_06
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM
;) ;) ;)

BOTH.

GWOOD
06-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I dont think they can hold the Wylie bats in check. Wylie has faced some very good pitching the last 3 weeks and you can see what they have done.

The biggest thing with Wylie's bats is will they do it the first game? They typically have had a fair to sub-par performance in Game 1 and then rip the ball in Game 2. They have scored 62 runs in four Game 2s (11, 23, 10, 18).

Adidas410s
06-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
They have scored 62 runs in four Game 2s (11, 23, 10, 18).

OWCHI!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

SintonFan
06-06-2006, 04:04 PM
The biggest thing with Wylie's bats is will they do it the first game? They typically have had a fair to sub-par performance in Game 1 and then rip the ball in Game 2. They have scored 62 runs in four Game 2s (11, 23, 10, 18).
Could it be that maybe the depth of pitching in reg. 1 is just not what it is in other regions?

BlueBlood
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
G-Wood, once again an excellent job.

txkmom
06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
GWOOD, thanks for the very informative discussion of the final four teams. I'm an LE Leopard through and through (and Will's mom) and I hope the guys can prove you wrong, although we are definitely the underdogs at state. The guys have been shaking people up for a few weeks now, and hopefully they can play it out.
Heading out tomorrow... Go Leopards!!!!!!!!!!!

injuredinmelee
06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Could it be that maybe the depth of pitching in reg. 1 is just not what it is in other regions?

I doubt that is what it is. Our jr high pitchers are better than the region IV high schoolers.

SintonFan
06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
I doubt that is what it is. Our jr high pitchers are better than the region IV high schoolers.
Keep smoking that funny stuff...
keep smoking that funny stuff...
:p

GWOOD
06-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
GWOOD, thanks for the very informative discussion of the final four teams. I'm an LE Leopard through and through (and Will's mom) and I hope the guys can prove you wrong, although we are definitely the underdogs at state. The guys have been shaking people up for a few weeks now, and hopefully they can play it out.
Heading out tomorrow... Go Leopards!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I've been wrong about as many times as I have been right.

Saw an article today in the Gazette that mentioned the great team chemistry of L-E. That's a great plus when everyone on the team wants the others to succeed as much as they want to succeed.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow and to seeing Will play.

Brenn510
06-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I do agree Bridge City should win it all. They come from a very tough Region (III), however, I disagree with those that say Region IV is a joke. Check the records I believe there are more state champions that have come from Region IV than Region I. Bridge City over Falfurrias in a close game.

injuredinmelee
06-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Keep smoking that funny stuff...
keep smoking that funny stuff...
:p

and you with the pitching not being as good in Region I. Maybe Wylie can just hit.

District303aPastPlayer
06-06-2006, 08:50 PM

thats laughable at best. . .

injuredinmelee
06-06-2006, 09:05 PM
it was sarcaasm and in response to the pitching not being good in Region I. Why cant it be that Wylie hits well???

SintonFan
06-06-2006, 09:34 PM
and you with the pitching not being as good in Region I. Maybe Wylie can just hit.
lol
I understood.;)
I think Wylie earned where they are now. Their hitting is very good no doubt and they could very well take Fal. Lets just not talk about region 4 being weak when it comes to sports other than football. I felt you understood that as well as I.:p

sinton66
06-07-2006, 07:50 AM

That tells you right there they fair better against # 2 pitching as do most teams. They will see Fal's #1 in the semis. Fal also hits #2 quite well. I can tell you for sure, all it will take for Wylie to lose is ONE throwing error. Fal is that good.

Buccaneer
06-07-2006, 12:14 PM
CLASS 3A SCOUTING REPORT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGION I

ABILENE WYLIE BULLDOGS

Coach: Clay Martin

Record: 29-8

State Tournament Appearances: Four (1990, 1997, 2002, 2006)

State Championships: None

Playoff Path: Canyon (area: 5-8, 11-1, 7-1); Clyde (regional quarterfinals: 7-2, 23-3); West (regional semifinals: 10-9, 10-4) Decatur (regional finals: 4-6, 18-9, 5-3)

Falfurrias coach David Salinas on the Bulldogs: "I know they've been to state a few times. It's been a while since I've seen them, but I feel we have a good draw. We're happy about it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGION II

TEXARKANA LIBERTY-EYLAU LEOPARDS

Coach: Ricky Fowler

Record: 26-14

State Tournament Appearances: One (2006)

Playoff Path: Van (area: 14-2, 4-6, 12-2); Carthage (regional quarterfinals: 7-3, 4-5, 10-6); Kennedale (regional semifinals: 6-2, 18-8); Lindale (regional finals: 4-2, 6-3)

Salinas on the Leopards: "Texarkana comes from a real tough district. We've played teams from that district before. In fact, we beat Queen City for the state championship in 1991."

REGION III

BRIDGE CITY CARDINALS

Coach: Billy Bryant

Record: 33-5

State Tournament Appearances: Three (1992, 2005, 2006)

Playoff Path: Kirbyville (area: 13-0, 12-1); Barbers Hill (regional quarterfinals: 12-9,

0-10, 8-2); Columbus (regional semifinals: 6-0); Cameron Yoe (regional final: 9-5, 6-3)

Salinas on the Cardinals: "Bridge City was there last year and I saw them play. They're a tough team and a real big school (755 students)."

pirate4state
06-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Great night for 3A baseball!!! :clap:

Good Luck to Texarkana Liberty-Eylau and Falfurrias tomorrow night!!

injuredinmelee
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
My thoughts on the two games yesterday.

LE Played good baseball. Got on BC early and didnt let up. They played solid almost mistake free ball and earned their win. Great pitching and I think the guy went the distance.

Falfurrias is good. Their pitchers werent over whelming with heat but threw good breaking stuff. They are very well managed. Almost micro managed as the Coach spends more time walking to the mound than he does in the dugout. The whole team congregated at the mound alot also. As soon as a Jersey pitcher got in any typoe fo trouble he was pulled and the next guy came in. They did a great job of keeping the Wylie bats at bay. They had faced so many power pitchers int he playoffs it was hard for them to adjust to the finese pitchers fal had to offer. Fal earned that win. I thought Wylie had them put away until the bottom of the 6th they exploded at the plate.

lostaussie
06-08-2006, 08:40 PM
[i]

Prediction: Bridge City wins easily over Liberty-Eylau

Prediction: Wylie wins in extra innings.

Championship Game: Bridge City gets the gold medal in a win over Wylie! well i'll give you an A for effort but an F for results:D you are still the most informative high school baseball person i have seen. thanks GWOOD for all the hard work.

GWOOD
06-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
well i'll give you an A for effort but an F for results:D you are still the most informative high school baseball person i have seen. thanks GWOOD for all the hard work.

LOL. I also thought there was no way LE could beat Fal tonight. So I guess that makes it a F- for results.

injuredinmelee
06-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Le was just a group of hard nosed athletes.

Phil C
06-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Brock beat Hugh Springs 7 to 4 to win the 2A State Championship.