PDA

View Full Version : D-Day the 6th of June, 1944

Phil C
06-06-2006, 08:37 AM
It was on this day in 1944 that the Allies invaded Normandy Beach in France and got a foothold on the Eupeon continent and began the push into Germany to end WW2. The attack wasn't expected by the Germans since the weather had been bad up to that day but it cleared up and the Allies decided at the last minute to do the invasion. Normandy was the last place the Germans expected the invasion except for General Rommel who warned them that this was the place and they should have their tanks there. Had they done so the Germans could have blasted the invaders out of the water but fortunately no one listened to their best General and in the opionion of some the best General in the War. In May 1945 the Allies invaded Berlin and brought an end to WW2 as far as Europe was concerned. A few months later Japan surrendered.

Maroon87
06-06-2006, 08:42 AM
"I'll see you on the beach!":cool:

Bullaholic
06-06-2006, 09:26 AM
If you want to read a good book about Andrew Higgins, the maker of the famous Higgins boats that were used to land the troops on the shores of Normandy on D-Day, here is a link.
(Shamelessly I tout this book as it was written by my brother-in-law, Jerry Strahan, who was mentored by Stephen Ambrose).

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=17-0807123390-0

There are no finer examples in the annals of human history of bravery and dedication to task than that which was displayed by the men and women who participated in the D-Day landing on June 6. God Bless them for their valor.