PDA

View Full Version : UT Softball

OnceABucJr
06-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Sorry BPhill, right now it looks like another zero production night for UT but still 2 more at bats. You know what the zero means when it's on your side?

KL3
06-04-2006, 11:28 AM
UCLA knocks out Texas again.

pirate4state
06-04-2006, 12:07 PM
:doh: :doh: It's a shame really. Cat will just join the list of greats in their sports that didn't win it all. :(

Old Tiger
06-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Cat can't hit the ball or make the catch for the 3rd baseman

18handicap
06-04-2006, 03:26 PM
The question now is what is the future of UT softball?? We we're hoping for an expansion of McCombs Field for larger crowds at the state softball tournament, but we're told that it won't happen. UT only sells out the place for the super regional, regional, and Texas A&M. I thought that with Cat and the potential to win it all this year, there would be many more sellouts at McCombs.

KTJ
06-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Well at least UT has made it to the WCWS the last few years unlike some teams around here.
:rolleyes:

With that said, there really hasn't ever been a talk of expanding McCombs. The place was just built not too long ago. Besides, there are other projects that rank at the top of the list for renovations than McCombs does--namely DFF and DKR.

Not to mention, there isn't any room for McCombs to expand. The peopel who own houses around the field won't sell their land to UT.

Phil C
06-04-2006, 07:54 PM
It is a shame that CAT didn't get to win the big one but as was mentioned earlier it takes run support and good defense by others. UT had them but they didn't execute when it really counted. CAT has a great future and will no doubt have great success in the pros and in the World Softball Cup and the next Olympics at least. I think most of us UT fans are more disappointed for CAT than for ourselves. She could have gone to UCLA and got that National Championship with ease (maybe even two of them) but she chose to come to UT to help us out.

Bull Butter
06-04-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm guessing she's a Senior?

Phil C
06-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

Man someone give Bull Butter a sign!! :D

Phil C
06-04-2006, 08:12 PM
You have to show the bitter with the sweet which fortunately there has been more of at UT. But this is a picture of CAT with Coach Clark after her last game at UT. Picture says it all. This was one of the bitterest and hardest photos I have ever had to show but news is news.

http://www.texassports.com/image_lib/osterman_cat_060306_300_1.jpg

Phil C
06-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

Sorry about my jab at humor Bull but yes she is a senior. She played on UT's 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006 teams and won MVP in College Softball 3 years. She didn't play in 2004 because she was with the USA team that went to Athens and dominated so much that they are eliminating softball in the 2012 Olympics which is an insult to Japan, Australia and Canada and other countries as well as the USA since they have improved very much in softball.

Bull Butter
06-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Sorry, I don't keep up with Women's Softball as closely. I'm aware of Cat but didn't know her classification.

AggieJohn
06-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
You have to show the bitter with the sweet which fortunately there has been more of at UT. But this is a picture of CAT with Coach Clark after her last game at UT. Picture says it all. This was one of the bitterest and hardest photos I have ever had to show but news is news.

http://www.texassports.com/image_lib/osterman_cat_060306_300_1.jpg

greatest to never win a major....let's call her the colin montgomerie of softball

Old Tiger
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
She is most certainly the Dan Marino of collegiate softball.

KTJ
06-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Some people want Connie Clark gone.

I don't know what to say.

pirate4state
06-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
She is most certainly the Dan Marino of collegiate softball. I agree. I can't believe some people want Clark gone?? :confused: She brought in that hitting coach...Texas just used up all the run support in the Super Regional. :rolleyes: :p :(

cdlvj
06-05-2006, 05:20 AM
This is a shame, as with one of the greatest pitchers of all time, and UT does not even come close to a National championship. The one year without Cat, they were 8th in Big 12.

Does not bode to well for recruiting, like the previous poster mentioned, could go to UCLA and win easily.

big daddy russ
06-05-2006, 07:11 AM
It's just one of those flukes in life. The pitching was there. They had some great hitters (Boutelle and Williams were All-American nominees) and they scored a respectable 3.75 runs per game, they just couldn't put the two together at the right time. It happens.

Nothing wrong with losing to the number one and number two teams in the tourney. The girls did a great job. Tight games both times.

Phil C
06-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Good point by Russ. When you get to the final 8 any of those teams can play well and win. Northwestern is an example this year and they are playing for it all.

Phil C
06-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Coach Clark has done too well here to want her gone. She was winning before CAT was there and remember the program is still fairly new here compared to a lot of schools. I guarantee if she was fired by UT that she would have a job offer within 2 days. We have to remember that there were many who wanted Coach Brown fired because he didn't win the big one but failed to look at his overall winning record here. I say keep her at least a few years after CAT and see what happens. I think she will win us over. Remember when you get to the final 8 anything can happen. I didn't expect UCLA to be eliminated before the championship game and Northwestern would have been one of the last teams I would have expected to be playing for the NC even though Arizona didn't surprise me too much.

18handicap
06-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I agree that they did hit better this year, but looked to me (IMHO) that they were swinging for the fences more than just trying to get on base. Yes, in the Southland Conference, UTSA was just mashing the ball again this year, but once they saw NCAA tournament pitching, it was different. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I think they should keep working with the same coaches and in time, the hitting will get better.