PDA

View Full Version : Mustang offense piles up yardage at 1st scrimmage

wildstangs
08-18-2003, 07:18 PM
The public will "Meet the Mustangs" at 8 p.m. today when all of the 2003 football players are introduced. But those who saw Saturday's opening scrimmage here against Brady would proba-bly agree that Sweetwater has already made a good first impression.

Sweetwater's varsity, JV and freshman teams had scored a total of 13 touchdowns by the end of the scrimmage, while holding Brady to one.

The Bulldogs' only touchdown came against the Mustang varsity, which still had an overall 4-1 edge. Sweetwater's JV players won by a 3-0 count, and the freshman encounter ended up as a 6-0 mismatch.

Sweetwater's varsity was equally impressive on the ground and in the air against Brady, piling up a total of 418 yards on 44 snaps while holding the Bulldogs to 218.

The Mustangs ate up 265 rushing yards on 33 carries, averaging a tidy eight yards per attempt. Sweetwater also had radar-like accuracy with its passes, completing 9 of 11 for 143 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions.

Senior Reid Bishop, Sweetwater's No. 1 quarterback, completed 7 of 9 passes for 128 yards and also gained 45 yards on just three runs, while the No. 2 signal caller, junior Jeremy Thompson, was a triple threat. Thompson ran for a team-high 74 yards and caught two passes for 43, including an 8-yard TD throw from Bishop. He also went 2-for-2 passing, including a 10-yard scoring toss to Randy Valadez.

Brady's offense failed to move past midfield on its first 12-play series, but Sweetwater found paydirt twice. Justin Clowers scored on a 2-yard jaunt to cap a five-play, 70-yard drive that began with a 22-yard run by fullback Clyde DeLaO and a 26-yard pass completion from Bishop to tight end Giles Montgomery. Then the Mustangs went 70 yards in seven plays to another score, which resulted in the Bishop-to-Thompson completion in the back of the end zone.

"We set the tempo early," said Sweetwater head coach Kent Jackson. "I think the defense came out and set the tone. I hope that's a trend that continues."

The Mustang number twos got their only score on Thompson's pass to Valadez, which came on the ninth play of their series.

Brady then scored its lone touchdown of the scrimmage on a 1-yard run, though it was set up by three pass completions totalling 64 yards.

But Sweetwater's first unit came back to get its third touchdown, which also came on a 1-yard run -- Clowers' second TD -- and was set up by a 29-yard pass from Bishop to Seth Hatley.

The Mustangs ended the scrimmage with an eight-play series in which their third quarterback, Joel Baker, guided Sweetwater from its 30 to Brady's 14. The defense forced and recovered two fumbles, while the Mustangs had none.

Most of Sweetwater's subvarsity scores came on long plays. In the JV scrimmage, the Mus-tangs had scoring runs of 72 yards by Isaac Franco, 55 yards by Sonny Birdwell and 60 yards by Kendal Carrillo while the freshman skirmish featured 70-yard TD romps by Duone Cunnings and Joseph Banyard and a 69-yard burst from Sky Green. The Ponies also tallied on a 46-yard run by Jonathan Lomas, a 10-yarder by Cunnings and another 10-yarder by Eric Brown. Coach Patrick Villa also had praise for the blocking of linemen James Beckwith, Jesus Rico, Shane Rains, Loren Rees, Chase Strother and tight end Justin Adames. By RON HOWELL

The Reporter Sports Editor

BigW
08-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Hey Wildstangs,
How well do you think Brady will do in 6-3A this year after seeing them scrimmage?

Chief Woodman
08-19-2003, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a great start.

wildstangs
08-19-2003, 07:15 PM
BigW:
Hey Wildstangs,
How well do you think Brady will do in 6-3A this year after seeing them scrimmage?I think Brady will be very competitive. I look for Brady, Clyde, and Wylie to all battle it out for 2nd and 3rd. Hey, they are all Bulldogs too. Of course, I wont be surprised one bit to see Wylie take the first place spot either.