PDA

View Full Version : Softball fans, check this out

Chris Hart
06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
From the Austin American Statesman, 6-1-06

1A Shiner lineup full of freshmen on way to state

Seven first-year starters help Comanches go far

By Rick Cantu-Austin American Staff
You won't find any senior citizens playing softball at Shiner High.
To be more specific, none of Shiner's 16 players are seniors. Two juniors, five sophomores and nine freshmen have earned their way to the UIL state tournament, which starts today at McCombs field.
Seven freshmen are in Shiner's starting lineup. "Before the season, there was talk around town about a group of good athletes that would play softball," Shiner coach Brandon Siegel said. " My biggest concern was how they would handle big-game situations."
The Comanches, after all, were 3-14 last season, and most of those players graduated. Their replacements were in the eighth grade last spring.
Yet Shiner(20-4-1) regrouped in a hurry, defeating all class A playoff opponents to punch it's ticket to state. Today, the Comanches face Clyde Eula in a state semifinal.
Two freshmen who helped the Comanches reach the state tournament said age has not been a factor this season.
"We've been expecting (a trip to state)," said centerfielder Ieisha Flowers. "We've been playing with each other forever. In Shiner, we're expected to win."
Indeed, the Comanches captured consecutive state softball championships in 2001 and 2002.
The players have known each other since Little League. Pitcher Heather Haas was only 4 when she got her first mitt, and the girl's on this year's softball team played T-ball together.
The 5-foot-7-inch Haas usually strikes out between 12 and 16 batters a game. She started to pitch at age 9 and has excellent mechanics, her coach said.
"When she throws a pitch for a ball, she wants to know why," Siegel said. "She'll be asking if she did something wrong."
Siegel, in his second year as coach, has enjoyed his team's rapid recovery. Haas(18-3, 1.04 ERA, 239 strikeouts in 141 innings) has emerged as one of the state's top class A pitchers. Freshmen such as Flowers(.545, 6 homers), catcher Maci Schaefer(.450, 2 homers), rightfielder Morgan Ullman(.467), designated hitter Amber Shimek(.357) and first baseman Taylor Hajek(.326) lead a strong offense.
A good omen for 2006 was discovered when Siegel found a former player's gold medal hanging on a dugout wall before the season. Before important games, including last week's 6-3 win over Bosqueville in the Region IV championship game, he has reminded the team of it's goal is to win a state championship medal on it's own merit.
"It was just hanging there, visible to everybody," Siegel said. "A few of the girls have older sisters who won state, and they don't want to be outdone."
Shiner will get an early wake-up call this morning to prepare for the 8:30 AM game against Clyde Eula (25-5). The Comanches practiced at 8:30 in the morning in Shiner on Wednesday to get used to playing so early.
" It's a factor for both teams," Siegel said. " At this level, though, you you just have to play the game. I'm not going to argue with the UIL about this. We'll play whenever they want us to."

I thought this was very impressive considering 7 out of 9 starters are freshmen. Just thought I'd share the article. I have no idea who won the game this morning between the Comanches and Clyde Eula.

OnceABucJr
06-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Clyde

neck_06
06-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Columbia did the same thing last year, they were the youngest team in history make it to the state finals.

District303aPastPlayer
06-05-2006, 11:20 AM
bananas

neck_06
06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
apples

Phil C
06-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Man UIL is sure slow posting the State Tournament Softball results on their web site! :mad:

18handicap
06-05-2006, 03:09 PM
I was faster for AAA -- play by play!!!

pirate4state
06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
I was faster for AAA -- play by play!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice job!! Thanks again. :)