PDA

View Full Version : Victoria SQT??

Matthew328
06-01-2006, 07:29 PM
With all the rain down that way this week any word on the status of the Victoria SQT and if it has been postponed??

Gobbla2001
06-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
With all the rain down that way this week any word on the status of the Victoria SQT and if it has been postponed??

If I am not mistaken the rain should be out of the Victoria area sometime tomorrow night... and if it is at Victoria Memorial Stadium like I think it may be it is the astroplay turf...

not sure though

44INAROW
06-01-2006, 08:15 PM

They practiced this evening and as far as we know, all systems are ready to go........ :)

Matthew328
06-01-2006, 08:35 PM
44 you have my # if you get any news give me a shout!

44INAROW
06-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Will do Matt....... have it stored in my cell :)

44INAROW
06-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Article from the Victoria Advocate...........
I just had to laugh when I read the coaches comment "the pressure is on us to win"
"there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to compete with anybody in the state." **that's why they're playing 3A and 2A teams now I guess............ sorry, I just think it's too obvious

Well coach, you got it set up to play: Memorial (5A) (with 20+ kids) Gonzales (3A), Giddings (3A) and Yorktown (2A) - - opposed to the 2A and 3A teams having 10 or so... ROFL.........

The Victoria Advocate - http://TheVictoriaAdvocate.com
Memorial to host 7-on-7 tournament
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer
Friday, June 2, 2006

Seven 7-on-7 football state qualifying tournaments are scheduled for Saturday but as far as Memorial is concerned only one matters.
Memorial will host a state qualifying tournament for the third straight year and the Vipers are hoping to repeat what they've done the previous two years.

"The pressure is on us to win," Memorial coach David Hartman said. "We need to win this thing."

Memorial defeated Cypress-Fairbanks in the championship game to win last year's tournament and advanced to the final of the 2004 tournament before the final was called off by mutual agreement. By winning the semifinal round, the Vipers clinched a berth in the state tournament since two teams for each qualifying tournament advance to state.

"Home cooking is always the best," Hartman said. "But we won't take anything for granted."

Memorial has no reason to think anything will come easy after it went 1-2 at the Houston Texans Tournament, which took place on May 13 while the Vipers were holding spring practice.

"I knew we certainly wouldn't be as sharp as we would be under normal circumstances," Hartman said. "We came out of the tournament looking for people on defense to step up and cover somebody. We feel like we're going to score points. But if you take a possession off, anything can happen and you don't have much time to recover. In 7-on-7, if you get down by two scores in the second half, you're in trouble."

Senior Michael Nuells and junior Brandon Eagles are likely to share duties at quarterback for the Vipers although sophomore Brandon Moczygemba could see action.

"As a quarterback you've got to see the field," Eagles said. "You've got to look short and then look deep and take what they give you. In a tournament like this, you've got to be ready for the first game and take it step by step."

Memorial will compete in Pool A against Gonzales, Giddings, and Yorktown. Advocate-area teams Beeville, Kenedy, and Palacios will be in Pool B, Wharton will play in Pool C, and Cuero will compete in Pool D.

Pool play begins at 9:30 a.m. at Memorial Stadium and the senior campus practice fields. The pool winners will advance to the championship bracket. The winners of Pools A and B and the winners of Pools C and D will meet for a berth in the state tournament at 1:30 p.m. The semifinal winners will play for the tournament championship at 2:30 p.m. Teams that have previously qualified for the state tournament will not play in the championship bracket.

The 7-on-7 state tournament is scheduled for July 14-15 on the campus of Texas A&M in College Station.

"If we can get a commitment from 20 kids who will work, show up for practice, and do what they're supposed to do," Hartman said, "there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to compete with anybody in the state."

• Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com, or comment on this story at www.VictoriaAdvocate.com.

Maroon87
06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Since when is the "pressure" on to win an off-season flag football tournament?

BU97
06-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Since when is the "pressure" on to win an off-season flag football tournament?

When you stack the deck in your favor to win your own tournament.;)

Old Green
06-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by BU97
When you stack the deck in your favor to win your own tournament.;) :eek: That's cold BU:D

schu1213
06-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Every team does that, you know you would too.

BU97
06-02-2006, 10:43 PM
When you stack the deck in your favor to win your own tournament.;)

Sorry. Just that in the 3 years of this tournament's existence, there seems to be "weak" teams in Pool A.

Of course, if we had a tournament we'd do the same.

This worked in out favor 4 years ago in Texas City. Texas City tried to stack the deck with us, Stafford, and Texas City's "B" team. It was great! We smoked Texas City's A team, then really smoked their B team and then knocked off Stafford. Unfortunately Baytown Lee kicked our butts in the semis.

Bull Butter
06-02-2006, 10:55 PM
I used to have a lot of respect for the Victoria Stingarees back in the day, but since VISD decided to close Stroman and make one HS, this has been a big FAILURE. The Stings used to be a force to be reckoned with not just in Region IV, but throughtout the state. Now, Memorial, with nearly double the old VHS enrollment, struggles to make the playoffs, much less make any REAL noise in them these days. Should we REALLY be surprised they would host a SQT 7 on 7 with a bunch of 3A and 2A schools???

District303aPastPlayer
06-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I used to have a lot of respect for the Victoria Stingarees back in the day, but since VISD decided to close Stroman and make one HS, this has been a big FAILURE. The Stings used to be a force to be reckoned with not just in Region IV, but throughtout the state. Now, Memorial, with nearly double the old VHS enrollment, struggles to make the playoffs, much less make any REAL noise in them these days. Should we REALLY be surprised they would host a SQT 7 on 7 with a bunch of 3A and 2A schools???

:clap: :clap:

Matthew328
06-03-2006, 12:21 AM
There may be not be pressure to win in 7 on 7...but its hardly an off-season flag football tourney...its getting bigger and bigger every year....I wouldn't be surprised to see the UIL get their hands on some of the action so they won't miss out on the money....

I don't blame Victoria for stacking the deck some...all host schools do that to some degree..hey they do all the leg work to host the thing why not stack the deck??

District303aPastPlayer
06-03-2006, 12:50 AM
poll idea. . .

44INAROW
06-03-2006, 06:42 AM
I just LOVE getting up at 6AM on Saturdays :rolleyes: providing I survive the heat today, I'll be back tonight :p

Maroon87
06-03-2006, 06:48 AM
There may be not be pressure to win in 7 on 7...but its hardly an off-season flag football tourney...its getting bigger and bigger every year....I wouldn't be surprised to see the UIL get their hands on some of the action so they won't miss out on the money....

I don't blame Victoria for stacking the deck some...all host schools do that to some degree..hey they do all the leg work to host the thing why not stack the deck??

Oh I know 7-on-7 is a big deal...I just though it was funny that a coach would say something like that. :)

Matthew328
06-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Sounds like typical coach speak.....coaches always speak in very generic terms on the record...talk to em off the record and its a different story!

44INAROW
06-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Well, Cuero beat Gregory-Portland and Rosenberg Lamar and lost by a last play TD to San Benito - Lamar ended up going to the final since they had more total points than we did, or something like that...... glad it's over and we're home........

BU97
06-03-2006, 05:10 PM
7 on 7 is great for smaller schools since we don't get to do spring ball. It is great practice for us even if we don't win alot of game or qualify for state.

raider red 2000
06-04-2006, 12:04 PM
7 on 7 is great for smaller schools since we don't get to do spring ball. It is great practice for us even if we don't win alot of game or qualify for state.

when is the other SQT for the Tigers?

Old Tiger
06-04-2006, 12:45 PM
7 on 7 is great for smaller schools since we don't get to do spring ball. It is great practice for us even if we don't win alot of game or qualify for state. And you get to play teams like Southlake Carroll and pick up on the things that they do and use that in your game.