PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming

spiveyrat
06-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Just curious what you think...

GreenMonster
06-01-2006, 09:01 AM
I chose something in between. I'm just not real sure about the global warming / giant hole in the ozone layer BS that the scientists have been telling us about for years now. I saw a study not long ago that said the hole in the ozone layer would have repaired itself by 2030. How can these guys make predictions like this? I can tell you how. They figure out what the government that is funding their study wants to hear and they make the study come out that way. Why would a scientist do this? To get the government that is footing the bills to pony up some more cash for another study of course. I had one too many statistics classes in college to believe these guys. IMO the problem is nowhere close to being as bad as what the scientists want us to think it is but at the same time the potential is there. Then again the potential is also there for this whole thing to be imaginary and global warming is a natural cycle that the Earth goes through from time to time. My official respose is overexaggerated.

PPHSfan
06-01-2006, 09:13 AM
I think "save the planet" is a farce. It should be "save the homosapiens". The planet will still be here long after we become extinct. LOL

olddawggreen
06-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I believe that global warming is real, but is a natural occerance that the earth goes through from time to time. I do not believe in the Wackco science being pushed by the Al Gore crowd. But thats just me. :thinking:

Macarthur
06-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I believe that global warming is real, but is a natural occerance that the earth goes through from time to time. I do not believe in the Wackco science being pushed by the Al Gore crowd. But thats just me. :thinking:

There's no question it's real.

The question becomes, how much is mankind responsible for it?

There's no question that olddawg is right; the planet has gone through warming and cooling for millions of years. However, I can't help but think that man is contributing to the rapidness of the warm up. When I worked on the the 52nd floor of a building in downtown Dallas, I could look out and see what greenhouse gases do to the air we breath. No one will convince me that is not harmful to us or the environment. The question is to what degree and what can we "reasonably" do about it.

big daddy russ
06-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I took a geology class in the fall that talked about this very thing. Most academians who study this stuff actually believe it's a combination of global warming and the fact that we're still in an ice age that we're coming out of.

The Ice Age that was at its peak 20K-10K years ago is still here, and scientists predict that we're headed towards another "warm" cycle like similar to that of the later dinosaurs' time (Jurassic/Cretaceous Periods). Back then, winter at the South Pole saw lows in the 20's, and the coldest it got on the North American continent was (estimated) in the 40's or 50's. There were no continental glaciers. The average ocean temperature worldwide was in the 70's.

It'll still be many more millenia until we get there, but that's where we're headed.

mistanice
06-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Greenland Ranch, Calif., with 134°F on July 10, 1913, holds the record for the highest temperature ever officially observed in the United States.

Why hasn't this been broken after almost a century?

spiveyrat
06-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I took a geology class in the fall that talked about this very thing. Most academians who study this stuff actually believe it's a combination of global warming and the fact that we're still in an ice age that we're coming out of.

The Ice Age that was at its peak 20K-10K years ago is still here, and scientists predict that we're headed towards another "warm" cycle like similar to that of the later dinosaurs' time (Jurassic/Cretaceous Periods). Back then, winter at the South Pole saw lows in the 20's, and the coldest it got on the North American continent was (estimated) in the 40's or 50's. There were no continental glaciers. The average ocean temperature worldwide was in the 70's.

It'll still be many more millenia until we get there, but that's where we're headed.

I read an article yesterday that said evidence of ferns has been found in the Arctic Circle.

Blastoderm55
06-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
Greenland Ranch, Calif., with 134°F on July 10, 1913, holds the record for the highest temperature ever officially observed in the United States.

Why hasn't this been broken after almost a century?

We may have not broken the single day record, but apparently 2005 was The Hottest Year In Record History (http://www.lilithgallery.com/articles/2005/hothothot-2005.html).

zeus63
06-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen

Come on yo uhave to believe Al Gore, he invented the internet and is the sole leader of the kill ManBearPig movement. I'm totally serial.

SintonFan
06-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

The question becomes, how much is mankind responsible for it?

There's no question that olddawg is right; the planet has gone through warming and cooling for millions of years. However, I can't help but think that man is contributing to the rapidness of the warm up. When I worked on the the 52nd floor of a building in downtown Dallas, I could look out and see what greenhouse gases do to the air we breath. No one will convince me that is not harmful to us or the environment. The question is to what degree and what can we "reasonably" do about it.
Have you ever been in a greenhouse? Plants and life tend to flourish there.:D

Blastoderm55
06-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Have you ever been in a greenhouse? Plants and life tend to flourish there.:D

If us humans had chlorophyl we'd be stoked about it! :cool:

spiveyrat
06-01-2006, 03:03 PM

When I worked on the the 52nd floor of a building in downtown Dallas, I could look out and see what greenhouse gases do to the air we breath.

You could see the gases? :thinking:

mustang04
06-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat

its just like seeing heat waves...they are clear, yet they distort light...so maybe he saw the distortion caused by the gases

i believe global warming is happening but i think its a good thing, i think it will help with precipitation and also crops will be able to grow in places that used to have too cold of annual temperatures to raise them.....either way, i aint worried, cuz im in it w/ about 5,999,999,999 people:D

spiveyrat
06-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
its just like seeing heat waves...they are clear, yet they distort light...so maybe he saw the distortion caused by the gases

So, how would you know if they are from heat or gas?

SintonFan
06-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Maybe he thought this was the "funniest ever" thread.;)

Macarthur
06-01-2006, 04:06 PM

Well, the air has a strong brown tint to it. What do you suspect that's from?

mustang04
06-01-2006, 04:09 PM
So, how would you know if they are from heat or gas?

if you would really like to know how you tell the difference, if the altitude was high off the ground and there were no near objects that the heat waves could be comming off of, it would probably be gas...i dunno if you know how heat waves work or not but they stay relatively close to the object thats producing them. hav you ever seen heat waves on ur car hood? they go up maybe a couple of inches not 20 feet because the further away from their source they get the quicker they cool

BUT in a sense, when you see heat waves you ARE seeing gas, its the heated mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide etc. that you and I breathe

mustang04
06-01-2006, 04:11 PM

thats probably particles of pollutants that can collect dust...its almost the same effect as clouds

spiveyrat
06-01-2006, 04:15 PM

I was really just picking at you... and amazed that you could see a gas. :D ;) I suspect you were seeing smog. :smoker:

spiveyrat
06-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by mustang04

BUT in a sense, when you see heat waves you ARE seeing gas, its the heated mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide etc. that you and I breathe

Well, you got me there. I can agree with that. You're such a :nerd: . :D

slpybear the bullfan
06-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I encourage folks to do some research about the Medievel warm period... little ice age, etc.

Here is a clear summary of research from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics...

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/press/pr0310.html

Very straightforward and points out that the 20th century is not the warmest on record, nor the most active. They based their research on hundreds of reports and investigations. I think that is important because when reading all the info out there, some folks take selective bits of data and use them as needed.

Other interesting articles...

http://geology.er.usgs.gov/eespteam/Atlantic/GPCabs.htm

http://www.marshall.org/article.php?id=49

http://www.objectivescience.com/articles/hl_recent_warming.htm

I believe we are absolutely more affected by natural cycles beyond man's control more than we are doing to ourselves.

IMHO we need to continue to push control and reform to reduce pollution... but I don't think we are heading to oblivion.

slpybear

PS - I do think global warming is nice bully pulpit.

LH Panther Mom
06-01-2006, 08:04 PM
If I were west of Abilene, I would think it was springtime. Around here, I'd ask if Honduras were burning again.