PDA

View Full Version : School's Out for the Summer!

Phil C
05-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Or for most schools anyway even though some have it all year round. It used to be that schools were out for all the summer months. The last day would be around the last week in May and then you didn't come back until September 1st. You would have to register in late August but classes didn't start until September 1. One of the main reasons was because they didn't have air conditioners at all and in the summer months the classrooms would be very hot so they decided to not have classes in the hot part of summer. Of course after air conditioners came in it was still practical to have summer off because of high electricity bills in the summer. The Texas Legislature has recently made it by law to not start until September and end in late May if I understand it correctly. Bravo!

LH Panther Mom
05-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The Texas Legislature has recently made it by law to not start until September and end in late May if I understand it correctly. Bravo!
I believe they changed it to the 4th Monday in August. :)

Emerson1
05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't care when we start, as long as we are out before memorial weekend.

wedo
05-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I believe they changed it to the 4th Monday in August. :)

In 2007 school won't start until after labor day!!!!

Emerson1
05-31-2006, 01:39 PM
So there are going to be games before school starts?

SintonFan
05-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by wedo
In 2007 school won't start until after labor day!!!!
Sweet!
My kids usually start the second week of August. This year they are still in scruel. Their last day is this Friday.

RMAC
05-31-2006, 02:30 PM
That sucks. I got done 2 Fridays ago, but now summer is over for me, I start working 7 days a week tomorrow. :(