PDA

View Full Version : Country Breeze

pirate44
05-31-2006, 07:48 AM
does anyone remember this band? used to play at Fiesta Marina, Rifle Club, etc. back in the 80's-90's
i went to a wedding a few years ago where they played the reception, and it wasnt the original members. i was wondering if they had a website or something.

LH Panther Mom
05-31-2006, 07:54 AM
:doh: :doh: I thought this was going to be about Glade. :o

pirate44
05-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
haha..maybe thats why i havent heard from them lately. they were sued for the name:D

Bull Butter
05-31-2006, 08:05 AM
I remember "the Breeze" very well. Had some great times at Fiesta Marina back in the late 80's before I moved south. After I left, I remember some friends telling me that Bob & Kathy (the husband/wife team that led Country Breeze) were quitting the band and moving to Arkansas. I want to say this was about in 1992 or 93.

Maroon87
05-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I remember "the Breeze" very well. Had some great times at Fiesta Marina back in the late 80's before I moved south. After I left, I remember some friends telling me that Bob & Kathy (the husband/wife team that led Country Breeze) were quitting the band and moving to Arkansas. I want to say this was about in 1992 or 93.

I had heard they moved to Arkansas as well, I think in 1996. Bob & Kathy lived in the Calallen area, in a house that one of my friends used to live in. I was jogging in the neighborhood once and Bob was in the garage working on one of his cars. I stopped in to chat for a while and had a couple beers. Not exactly part of a good exercise routine!:p

I had some good times at those dances at Fiesta, the Rifle Club, the High Chapparral, etc. Tons of good memories!:cool: The last time I went to a dance of theirs was at the Rifle Club in '94 (not long before I moved to S.A.) and Bob & Kathy were still with the band.

pirate44
05-31-2006, 09:51 AM
i thought i heard that they moved, but was wondering if there were any original band members in the "country breeze" that played the wedding 2 or so years ago. i wish i had a recoding of some of their old songs they wrote. those fiesta marina dances were the best. what a great venue. i wonder if there are weekend dances out there any more

Maroon87
05-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
i thought i heard that they moved, but was wondering if there were any original band members in the "country breeze" that played the wedding 2 or so years ago. i wish i had a recoding of some of their old songs they wrote. those fiesta marina dances were the best. what a great venue. i wonder if there are weekend dances out there any more

If there are dances, it's nowhere near the same as back in "our day." They basically converted the dance pavilion into a banquet hall or bed and breakfast or something like that. It's now fully enclosed. One of my best friends lives right across the cove from there. Every time I go visit I drive past it and think of all the good times...:(

AP Panther Fan
05-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

lol...me too!

Fiesta Marina was great! Amazing how all of us are from different areas, yet have fond memories of that little marina on the weekends.:)

pirate44
05-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
If there are dances, it's nowhere near the same as back in "our day." They basically converted the dance pavilion into a banquet hall or bed and breakfast or something like that. It's now fully enclosed. One of my best friends lives right across the cove from there. Every time I go visit I drive past it and think of all the good times...:(
truly sad. great place and a lot of good memories.

Bull Butter
05-31-2006, 10:39 AM
I can remember when Bob would call out the names of area towns and you would hear each town get certain reactions from their people. Every town from Rockport to Alice, from Beeville to Kingsville would be represented on any given night at Fiesta Marina

big daddy russ
05-31-2006, 10:46 AM
They were still playing when I was a senior in HS, back in '98. I guess it wasn't the original members, but we used to go out to the Rifle Club, Fiesta Marina, and the Grand in Beeville and they were around all those places.

And I heard Fiesta Marina shut down. Is that true?

Maroon87
05-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
And I heard Fiesta Marina shut down. Is that true?

It might as well have. They apparently don't have dances there anymore.

Bull Butter I remember the "town roll call" by Bob every weekend. I remember they played Fiesta the night after we beat G-P in football for the first time in 23 years. When he said "Who's from Calallen?" the place went nuts.:cool:

Any of ya'll remember the El Dorado in Beeville or the Roundup in Skidmore?

AP Panther Fan
05-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87 Any of ya'll remember the El Dorado in Beeville or the Roundup in Skidmore?

The Round Up in Skidmore definitely.......How about the Yellow Rose in Corpus (telling my age here). :D

Maroon87
05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
The Round Up in Skidmore definitely.......How about the Yellow Rose in Corpus (telling my age here). :D

Yes...I saw Restless Heart and Highway 101 there many years ago. It's now a Tejano nightclub I think. I just drove past it weekend before last when I was in CC.

The Roundup was cool because it was in the middle of a horse track or something. It always reminded me a little of Gruene Hall on the inside.

pirate44
05-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
saw daimond rio at the yellow rose about '93 or so. so smokey i had to leave the concert early :(

pirate44
05-31-2006, 12:49 PM
i did a google search for Fiesta Marina. nothing really came up except for some restaurant search website. they show Fiesta as being a "resort style restaurant"

District303aPastPlayer
05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
The Yellow Rose was Tejano Rose, then it became Club Hpnotiq... a hip hop/R&B club that brings big texas rap artists to concert down in corpus... still not a place i would go...

SINTON65
05-31-2006, 10:28 PM
I heard Fiesta Marina is a house now. I guess its kind of like the Cedar Hut bar in Sinton(St. Paul)...it's now someone's house. I always wonder if people who lived here a long time ago ever pull in the driveway there and go up to the door thinking it might still be a bar.:)

Vrabird
05-31-2006, 11:23 PM
The Roundup burned down to the ground and was never built back. We had our wedding reception and dance there many years ago.

SintonFan
05-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
does anyone remember this band? used to play at Fiesta Marina, Rifle Club, etc. back in the 80's-90's
i went to a wedding a few years ago where they played the reception, and it wasnt the original members. i was wondering if they had a website or something.
I remember them! No idea about them now.
Fiesta Marina shut down? Bummer!
I also remember "Willow Lake" close to ole San Pat on the highway between San Pat and Mathis.:cool: :cool:
The Cedar Hut site I think is owned by the Martino family now. lol I would have loved to buy that place sans the nasty urinal.

Maroon87
06-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Holy crap...Willow Lake? Talk about a blast from the past!:eek: :eek:

District303aPastPlayer
06-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Holy crap...Willow Lake? Talk about a blast from the past!:eek: :eek:

is that on CR 666? near a big light? if so, i think i drove by there the other day on my way home from a poker game in old san pat

PPHSfan
06-01-2006, 12:08 AM
With a name like Country Breeze they must have been destined for failure. I mean..come on...Country Breeze? That's about as queer as a football bat. They should have named themselves Free BBQ, at least somebody might have stopped if their name was on the sign.

Maroon87
06-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
is that on CR 666? near a big light? if so, i think i drove by there the other day on my way home from a poker game in old san pat

Might be. After the dance hall closed I think it became a private airport. It was definitely on 666 between Bluntzer and Old San Pat.

Maroon87
06-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
With a name like Country Breeze they must have been destined for failure. I mean..come on...Country Breeze? That's about as queer as a football bat. They should have named themselves Free BBQ, at least somebody might have stopped if their name was on the sign.

You're out of your element, dude.;)

District303aPastPlayer
06-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Might be. After the dance hall closed I think it became a private airport. It was definitely on 666 between Bluntzer and Old San Pat.

sounds like a different place... but i probably passed it

pirate44
06-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
they had no problem bringing in the crowds. not to mention, this was the '80s. name was pretty cool. back then if you werent at a Country Breeze dance, you were a nobody.

Bull Butter
06-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Country Breeze dances were the best places to pick up chicks back in those days. Trust me, If I could pick up girls there (and I did) then anyone could.

District303aPastPlayer
06-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Country Breeze dances were the best places to pick up chicks back in those days. Trust me, If I could pick up girls there (and I did) then anyone could.

classic...

SintonFan
06-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Willow Lake was on FM 666 about two miles north of San Pat. Bluntzer is south of San Pat.
I have a customer who bought the place and uses it as a rent house. I'm not sure but I think that chuck wagon they had hanging up in the rafters is still there.:cool:

SintonFan
06-01-2006, 03:27 PM
lol
Them were some really fun times.;)