PDA

View Full Version : Report: Clemens to sign with Astros

Maroon87
05-30-2006, 04:13 PM
FOXSports.com

After all the waiting, all the speculation, all the drama ... Roger Clemens isn't going anywhere.

According to a report on the Newsday website, Clemens will sign a one-year deal to remain with the Houston Astros.
The deal will pay Clemens, 43, in the neighborhood of $3.5 million per month. That translates to roughly $10.5 million for what remains of the 2006 season.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
05-30-2006, 04:14 PM
This is good news indeed!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pmoney
05-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
This is good news indeed!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

no...GREAT NEWS!!! :clap:

Bandera YaYa
05-30-2006, 04:19 PM
No, not good news. He was good in his day, but he needs to retire. He choked in the finals last year. Why oh why do we hang onto these stars of yesterday??? Spend that money and get some fresh young talent in there!!! Leave him to making his money in commercials! :D

Adidas410s
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
No, not good news. He was good in his day, but he needs to retire. He choked in the finals last year. Why oh why do we hang onto these stars of yesterday??? Spend that money and get some fresh young talent in there!!! Leave him to making his money in commercials! :D

Let's not forget that he had one of the best seasons of his career last year!!! Are you still going through the "I hate men that get any attention" thing this afternoon?

Ranger Mom
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa

What's wrong YaYa?? He not filling out those baseball pants like he did back in the day??:D ;) :p

Adidas410s
05-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What's wrong YaYa?? He not filling out those baseball pants like he did back in the day??:D ;) :p

lol...

So who wins in a fight??? Roger or the wife???

http://i.cnn.net/si/pr/subs/swimsuit/images/03_rclemens_01.jpg

Bandera YaYa
05-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What's wrong YaYa?? He not filling out those baseball pants like he did back in the day??:D ;) :p Ha, no I think he still looks good in them! LOL !! :D :D :o

Bandera YaYa
05-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
lol...

So who wins in a fight??? Roger or the wife???

http://i.cnn.net/si/pr/subs/swimsuit/images/03_rclemens_01.jpg Well, I'd say she would....hers are alot bigger than his!!!! :devil:

Cameron Crazy
05-30-2006, 04:38 PM
ROFL!

GetRDoneStangs
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
one of the links to the signing

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sprog0530,0,6890705.story?coll=ny-homepage-bigpix2005

pirate44
05-30-2006, 05:33 PM
bravo :clap: :clap:

Maroon87
05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Astros: Clemens not a done deal
Purpura says club waiting for Rocket to make decision
By Jim Molony / MLB.com

A report of a Rocket re-entry in Houston on Tuesday was news to the Astros.

A Newsday report claiming seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens had signed a one-year deal with the Astros was shot down by Astros general manager Tim Purpura as well as Astros owner Drayton McLane Jr. Clemens was not available for comment.

"Absolutely not true," Purpura said when asked to confirm the report that Clemens, 43, had signed a one-year deal with Houston. "There's nothing to it at this point. We had some discussions with his agents (Randy and Alan Hendricks) over the weekend but we're waiting for Roger to make a decision."

Newsday reported the contract is believed to be worth about $3.5 million per month or approximately $10.5 million for the season, depending on when Clemens returns to action.

"I can assure you a deal has not been done," McLane said. "The Hendricks have said to us all the way through that 'the first decision is Roger has to tell them, and he'll tell us if he wants to come back.' They said that as late as last week. They have not gotten back to us. We're waiting on them."

In Arlington, Rangers owner Tom Hicks said he'd been told by Randy Hendricks that Clemens will not be signing with his team.

"We gave it our best shot," Hicks said. "I got a call from Randy Hendricks on Friday and he'd been asked by Roger to convey his thanks but he would not be pitching for the Rangers.

"I'm not sure where he's going. I was told we were not the only team that was getting that call. I was told the family played a large issue so I assume he'll be pitching for Houston."

Clemens, who turns 44 in August, helped the Astros reach the World Series last fall following a season in which the right-hander led the Major Leagues with a 1.87 ERA. The Astros declined to offer him salary arbirtation last winter, forefeiting the right to re-sign him until May 1.

Since then Clemens, who lives in Houston, has indicated if he does return it would be for one of four teams: the Astros, Rangers, Red Sox or Yankees.

The Astros hope to lure Clemens back and are optimistic they will convince him to return for another season. Purpura said no timetable has been given but that he expects an answer soon.

"He knows we'd love to have him back, and I think our chances are as good as any if he does decide to play another year," Purpura said. "I think we'll know something soon one way or another."

McLane was in Temple, Texas and was also surprised at the report.

"I've been confident since January," McLane said. "We waited on them and they said they would get back to us. I talked to Tim about an hour and a half ago. We're very very optimtistic, but we knew that we have to wait to hear back from them. That has not happened yet."

Jim Molony is a reporter for MLB.com. MLB.com reporters Alyson Footer and T.R. Sullivan contributed. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Buccaneer
05-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Roger is going to sign with whichever team wins the Silver Boot.

Maroon87
05-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Roger is going to sign with whichever team wins the Silver Boot.

Oh yeah...I forgot.:rolleyes:

AggieJohn
05-30-2006, 10:28 PM
http://207.97.200.184/ProductImages/10.jpg
his wife debbie sells these babies for 500 dollars a pop, so they got money

mr.leopard man
05-31-2006, 12:49 AM
If it is true that Roger has signed with Houston and turned his nose up in the air to the ist place rangers....maybe the rangers can take some revenge and wouldnt that be something if Roger pitches against Texas in the series when Houston comes to Texas june 30.. july 1..july 2nd??? could be very interesting:D

sahen
05-31-2006, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by mr.leopard man
If it is true that Roger has signed with Houston and turned his nose up in the air to the ist place rangers....maybe the rangers can take some revenge and wouldnt that be something if Roger pitches against Texas in the series when Houston comes to Texas june 30.. july 1..july 2nd??? could be very interesting:D
im not so sure he was really turning his nose up at texas or looking at the fact that they r a perennial last place finisher.....they r in first right now, but its not even june or 1/3 of the way through the season, if they finish in 1st and teh astros get left outa the playoffs then he will prolly be disappointed but we will see waht happens.....anyway he still hasnt signed offically so who knows? he might end up at the rangers, yankess, or red soxes, but i hope not.....

Bull Butter
05-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by mr.leopard man

ONE YEAR AGO---- May 31,2005

Houston was 19-32, last place in the NL Central
Texas was 30-20, 1st place in the AL West

Houston went 70-41 the rest of the way, earned the NL Wild Card berth and ended up in the Fall Classic.
Texas went 49-63 from that point on and ended up 16 games out of 1st and 16 games out of the playoffs.

My point is, it's still early. Way too early to be crowing about your team being in 1st. Especially after what happened to them last year.

Maroon87
05-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Done deal: Rocket returns to Astros
Clemens set for June 22 return to Houston rotation
By Jim Molony / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Retirement and the Hall of Fame will have to wait a little longer for Roger Clemens, because The Rocket has decided to go on one final mission for Houston.
No. 22 agreed to terms Wednesday on a one-year deal with the Astros to come back for a 23rd season, or at least the remaining four months of the current season.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner ended his seven-month retirement by accepting a deal that will pay him approximately $14 million -- the pro-rated value of a $21 million seasonal contract -- to pitch for the Astros for the balance of the current season.

The decision came after months of soul searching by Clemens and weeks of waiting by the Astros, Yankees and Red Sox, who had tendered offers to the right-hander in recent weeks. The Rangers were also in the hunt until they were informed on Friday that they were no longer in the running for Clemens.

Clemens' arrival couldn't come at a better time for the Astros, who have lost 18 of their last 22 games. Houston's offense has been inconsistent but the Astros are also in dire need of more pitching.

Clemens, 13-8 with a Major League-leading 1.87 ERA in 32 regular-season starts for the Astros last year, should provide an immediate boost. The right-hander is expected to pitch in a few Minor League games before rejoining the Astros to start against the Twins on June 22.

Clemens and the Astros could both benefit from a shorter seasonal workload. Injuries slowed the 43-year-old late last season. He lasted only two innings in Houston's Game 1 loss to the Chicago White Sox in the World Series due to a hamstring injury. Clemens, who turns 44 in August, has been working out with his son Koby, a Houston Minor League prospect.

Clemens, 31-12 with a 2.43 ERA over the last two years with Houston, was not offered arbitration by the Astros during the winter, making him ineligible to re-sign with Houston before May 1.

That left the door open for other suitors, but Clemens decided to participate in the World Baseball Classic while he pondered his future.

The four finalists pursued Clemens diligently, but in the end the hometown Astros were able to convince the 11-time All-Star to take another shot with the Astros.

Clemens has more career wins than any other living pitcher, ranking ninth all-time with 341 career victories. In 22 seasons with the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Yankees and Astros Clemens is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA and 4,502 career strikeouts. His strikeout total is second only to Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan (5,714) on the all-time list.

Jim Molony is a writer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.