PDA

View Full Version : Apple Computers

Old Tiger
05-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Are there any knocks on them? Are they as good as they say the are? I am looking to buy a laptop or something and I was wanting to know if an Apple would be a wise investment.

Ranger Mom
05-30-2006, 12:57 PM
We use apple up here at work for certain things as they are very user friendly.

As far as one goes for personal use, I would stick with PC.

Software is lots cheaper for a PC and in a way more abundant supply!

Adidas410s
05-30-2006, 12:59 PM
The big question is what are you going to be using it for? As RM said, software is much cheaper for PC than Apple. That being said, Apple's run MUCH smoother and faster (especially in the long run) and your internet browsing is much better. This is in large part to the fact that there aren't a lot of popup's and viruses (i think the Apple virus count is up to 2 or 3 now) written for Apple computers.

Gobbla2001
05-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I've used both and I like PC just because it's all I've ever used consistantly so it's easier for me to use...

Had some reps from some company come into work the other day and make fun of us because we had an IBM instead of an Apple hooked up to our sample table... they were just playing, of course...

Ranger Mom
05-30-2006, 01:07 PM
I learned on Macintosh...when I got my first PC at work, it bout drove me nuts.

The Mac was SO easy to use.. all the file names made sense, no matter WHAT folder you were looking at. I very seldom had any hangups, rebooting was something you never had to worry about. It just got where we couldn't find the software we needed...either it was too expensive or it just wasn't available.

One of the best computer games I have ever downloaded was "Apeiron" for the Mac....it was a "Centipede" game.

Old Tiger
05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
The big question is what are you going to be using it for? As RM said, software is much cheaper for PC than Apple. That being said, Apple's run MUCH smoother and faster (especially in the long run) and your internet browsing is much better. This is in large part to the fact that there aren't a lot of popup's and viruses (i think the Apple virus count is up to 2 or 3 now) written for Apple computers. Just browsing, writing, and other things of that nature.

Emerson1
05-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Just don't get a dell, they suck.

IHS Fan
05-30-2006, 01:45 PM
i've used dell pc's for years and had no problems. the one i'm on now is my third. my in-laws have the first, my son has the second, and i have the third. we're fixin' to buy a dell laptop for my son for college.

Old Tiger
05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macbook-Black-13-inch_W0QQitemZ9734306232QQcategoryZ80052QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

What do you guys think?

Flypattern
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
It really comes down to what you prefer. I have always had a Mac because that's where I started. After that, everything in Windows seems out of place and impossible to find.

But I'll give Microsoft this. I have Office for Mac and it's a very good product. I think Microsoft Word is by far the best program of its kind.

There are a lot of student and teacher discounts whether you get it for PC or Mac.

That Mac on the ebay auction has the new Intel processor so you could actually run Windows and Mac OSX on the same machine. And it's VERY fast.

Apple has a free download that allows you to run both operating systems, but you would have to buy Windows.

wyliegrad04
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macbook-Black-13-inch_W0QQitemZ9734306232QQcategoryZ80052QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

What do you guys think?

The Macbook is a heck of a computer ... I just bought mine the end of April. I absolutely love it ... I upgraded from a G4 laptop.

It should go for a lot more than $1,000 ... so expect to pay much more.

wyliegrad04
05-30-2006, 05:10 PM
I would also kind of careful with that auction ... email the seller and try to contact him/her by phone. They only accept money order ... PayPal is the better way to go with something this expensive ... you might get screwed.

the seller accepted paypal on the other auctions he had .. so i would ask if he would do paypal again. they have a very good complaint department and i've actually got money back on two auctions that were not as described.

Old Tiger
05-30-2006, 05:30 PM
What do yall think about these Dells?

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/entnb_710m?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Cameron Crazy
05-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Thats nice been wanting to get on myself gotta get the money first!

Emerson1
05-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Just build your own desktop.

Cameron Crazy
05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Just build your own desktop.
ummm:thinking: NO!

big daddy russ
05-30-2006, 06:10 PM
I used to work on a Mac. Most offices stick to Macs, but like someone said earlier PC's and the software for PC's are more abundant.

For just about anything you want to do, a Mac is better. Period. But you also pay for you're getting. Less hiccups on a Mac, smoother multitasking, and quicker response times even though the processor, RAM speeds, and hard drives may not be as fast.

I used a Mac when I was working for a newspaper down in South Texas. I was only there for a little over a year and a half, but I've missed it ever since. Once you learn how to use a Mac, you never want to go back to a PC. Everything's easier.

But, if you want to save a little money and still get a system with fewer hiccups than a Dell/Gateway/etc. build your own with an AMD processor and registered memory.

If you can change the oil in your car, you can build your own PC. It's not as hard as it seems.

Emerson1
05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
ummm:thinking: NO!
you sig is to big :kiss:

wyliegrad04
05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
What do yall think about these Dells?

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/entnb_710m?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

the 710's are good ... but if you have the money, I think you would find more benefit from the Macbook.

It also depends on what you are doing to be using it for ... I am a music major and do a lot on music programs that are only made for macs ... so therefore i have to have a mac.

it is ultimately your choice ... i would suggest going to a store somewhere and playing around with the macbook and checking it out, it is very very but very expensive. i love mine though.