PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Argo Theismann calls Williams 'disgrace to game'

Maroon87
05-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Ricky is certainly not perfect, but does Theismann have to comment on everything?

ESPN.com news services

Ricky Williams will continue to play professional football with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts while he is suspended for one year by the NFL, and one high-profile ex-Argonaut isn't thrilled by the move.

Former quarterback Joe Theismann, who began his professional career with the Argonauts and later went on to star in the NFL with the Redskins, said he was "embarrassed right now to be a Toronto Argonaut" in an interview with ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd.

"I don't ever want to be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Williams as a football player. He's a disgrace to the game. The man doesn't deserve to play football. He should go on with his life and treat his drug addictions or go do whatever he wants to do. He's been suspended from the National Football League on multiple occasions. Doesn't anybody have any class anywhere? For gosh sakes, let the kid go do what he wants to do. He doesn't want to play football," Theismann, who is part of ESPN's Monday Night Football announcing crew, said.

Williams was suspended by the NFL for the entire 2006 season following a fourth positive drug test. But the Dolphins gave him permission to play this year in the CFL, and he signed with Toronto on Sunday.

Theismann, while calling Williams a "good kid" said he believes that the running back has had too many chances.

"We have rules in the National Football League. It's real simple. Don't do drugs and you can play. It's a privilege to be able to play professional football. It's not some rite of passage. He's insulted the Miami Dolphins after they took him back and gave him a chance to play. Now he insults the intelligence of everybody that thinks that doing drugs is OK. To me, it's the wrong message to send to kids. It's the wrong thing to be doing, and the Toronto Argonauts have embarrassed themselves as an organization signing him," Theismann said.

Toronto has won the Grey Cup -- the CFL championship -- 15 times, most recently in 2004. The Argonauts were 11-7 last season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Emerson1
05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I hope espn can show some of their games.

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I hope espn can show some of their games. its the 'C'fl IMHO no where near the calibur of the NFL, just a cheap imitation from another nation.

Brahma73
05-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Is it just me or does anybody else think Joe T. is all over this? Thanks for having the gonads to lay it on the line, Theismann!:clap:

Pmoney
05-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
its the 'C'fl IMHO no where near the calibur of the NFL, just a cheap imitation from another nation.
man its just another nation playing a great sport, so by the way your saying it is that the NHL and MLS are just cheap imitations from another nation bc we didnt start the sport...i agree with Emerson it would be cool to see some of the games

Pmoney
05-30-2006, 01:34 PM
one more thing who cares what Theismann thinks...HE'S AN IDIOT!

Brahma73
05-30-2006, 01:38 PM
...an idiot who's right about "Red-eyed Ricky!"

Bandera YaYa
05-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
one more thing who cares what Theismann thinks...HE'S AN IDIOT! Ha.....you just wish you were 1/10th the idiot he is.......hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...way to have the balls to say what's real!!!! So you think Williams is the saint here??? hahahahahahahahah...man oh man,....... :rolleyes:

CenTexSports
05-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Williams was a Saint

........then a Dolphin

......... and now an Argonaut (not to mention being a longhorn).

And I bet that if you knew him, he would tell you all of the other things he has been while in a drug induced state of mind. Like WOW man!

I do not like Joe. He is a major butt but he is absolutely right on this topic.

Chris Hart
05-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Way to go Joe! I can't stand the guy's commentating, although he is very good, he just always has to be right, lol. This time there is no denying it, Theisman is right this time. The loser doesn't deserve to play football. Everybody makes mistakes, and everyone deserves a second chance, but after that they should be suspended for life, period!:clap:

Bandera YaYa
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
[B]... he just always has to be right, lol. [B] ..well he is a man, isn't he!!! JUST KIDDING , JUST KIDDING !!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: Willimans played his get out of jail card...several times.....what a waste of talent. Shame shame on him.

Chris Hart
05-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
..well he is a man, isn't he!!! JUST KIDDING , JUST KIDDING !!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: Willimans played his get out of jail card...several times.....what a waste of talent. Shame shame on him. Not quite! It's the boys that always 'have' to be right, it's us men that always are right!:D :p :kiss:

espn1
05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
one more thing who cares what Theismann thinks...HE'S AN IDIOT! That's probably because you smoke dope. No other logical assumption can be made.

LH Panther Mom
05-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Not quite! It's the boys that always 'have' to be right, it's us men that always are right!:D :p :kiss:
:hand: :hand: That's what the ladies let you think. :p