PDA

View Full Version : Carrillo Attends Reds Camp

StangMom2
05-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Sports

Carrillo attends Reds camp and makes cut

Kendal Carrillo, a member of the varsity baseball team at Sweetwater High School for the past four years and 2006 graduate of SHS, recently attended a Cincinnati Reds tryout camp at the University of Texas-Ar-lington and made the first cut.

Carrillo was given an invita-tion to the Reds camp by SHS baseball coach Blake Sandford, who is also a scout camp coordinator for the Reds and evalu-ates players in this area.

Sandford said Carrillo tried out as an outfielder and pitcher at the Reds camp, and showed enough arm strength at both positions to make the cut. “He did a good job,” Sandford said. “It was a pretty big honor for him to be invited.”

Sandford conducted another Reds tryout camp this weekend in San Antonio. Major League Baseball will hold its first-year player draft June 6-7.

Snyder_TigerFan
05-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Wow that's great! Congrats to Kendal!

Adidas410s
05-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

DaHop72
05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
CONGRATS KENDAL:clap: :clap:

DU_stud04
06-29-2006, 03:10 AM
congrads kendal! maybe ill be watching him play for our team next season if he doesnt go to the next level.

Tiger Baseball
06-29-2006, 09:21 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_75.gif

Phil C
06-29-2006, 09:35 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phantom Stang
06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Congrats and good luck!!:clap: :clap:

Big Papa
06-29-2006, 01:28 PM
I remember when I was just a wee little might growing and(ok maybe it was in jr. high) and we always talked about the carrillos- it was not bad mouthing them at all- they were a pretty athletic family

Cameron Crazy
06-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Nice great job dude!!:D

GreenMonster
06-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Did this kid sign with anyone or even get drafted? It's not really that big of a deal to get held over at one of these scouting camps. All it means is the scout wants to take another look at you and put you through a few extra drills that he didn't run for everyone. I personally hope he chose to go to college. If you don't get drafted in the first 4 or 5 rounds and you sign you aren't likely to get enough money out of them for it to be worth skipping out on college. Big money is one thing but you can go to school and get some education and develop your game just as much as you can by being a long shot playing in Class A Podunk, Idaho.

StangMom2
06-29-2006, 03:39 PM
He signed w/ UTAHis first priority has always been to go to college, but he does love baseball and enjoys playing anytime he gets a chance. And these camps may not be that big of a deal for some people but to the kids that get invited and try out , it is. It gives kids from small west texas towns a chance to be seen by scouts that otherwise would probably never see them.

shadow13
06-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by StangMom2
He signed w/ UTAHis first priority has always been to go to college, but he does love baseball and enjoys playing anytime he gets a chance. And these camps may not be that big of a deal for some people but to the kids that get invited and try out , it is. It gives kids from small west texas towns a chance to be seen by scouts that otherwise would probably never see them. I agree StangMom2, it doesn't hurt anyone to go out and be seem at these camps,especially the kids from West Texas. Congrats. to Kendall ,who is not only a great athlete,but also a great person.

sww-bull52
06-29-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm proud of him. Enjoyed watching him all these years as we enjoyed watching his brother. Got any more Carrillo's hideing somewhere?

Tiger Baseball
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm proud of him and there is no wrong with going to these camps and getting noticed!

STANG RED
06-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
I'm proud of him. Enjoyed watching him all these years as we enjoyed watching his brother. Got any more Carrillo's hideing somewhere?

Next year, will be the first of the last 8, we wont have a Carrillo to root for. Those boys sure left their mark, didnt they?! Great athletes!!!

GreenMonster
06-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by StangMom2
He signed w/ UTAHis first priority has always been to go to college, but he does love baseball and enjoys playing anytime he gets a chance. And these camps may not be that big of a deal for some people but to the kids that get invited and try out , it is. It gives kids from small west texas towns a chance to be seen by scouts that otherwise would probably never see them.

You guys aren't following me here. These camps are NOT by invitation only. They are OPEN tryouts that anyone can attend. I just don't see why there is reason for congratulations because Joe Blow from Shallowminded HS has gone to an OPEN tryout. Besides, that scout has seen him play, probably on more than one occasion you just didn't know it. Those scout guys are sneaky like that. I wish the kid all the luck and had the opportunity to watch him play football against my beloved Iowa Park Hawks where i was quickly able to deduct that he was quite possibly the best pure football player that I had seen play all year. I have no doubt that he is a great kid I just don't see the point of this thread. Had he been drafted OK, valid thread. But he wasn't. No need to clog up the Downlow arteries with cholesterol like this. It is just bragadocious.

Phantom Stang
06-29-2006, 09:38 PM
If it wasn't that big of a deal, then they wouldn't have put it in the Sweetwater Reporter!:D

Snydertigersrul
06-29-2006, 10:12 PM
If he is such a great baseball player, why didn't his team get to the playoffs and why didn't he make any all-state teams. The camps are a joke and don't mean anything.

DU_stud04
06-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
If he is such a great baseball player, why didn't his team get to the playoffs and why didn't he make any all-state teams. The camps are a joke and don't mean anything.

sounds like a hater to me...

how can not making the playoffs make him less of a great player than he is?

also,he is good, always been good and any coach would be crazy not to want him. Getting a scholorship to play baseball at uta is a pretty big deal. UTA usually doesnt get seniors right out of highschool. About 3/4th our players usually have to transfer in from other juco's, so by having that scholorship, that means something.

congrads again kendal

smustangs
06-29-2006, 10:40 PM

not makeing the playoffs dosent make him lesser of a player look at rhett bomar i believe they didnt make ti the play offs not one time while he was in hs and hes the starter at oklahoma and not a bad one at that so lets try again

mustang04
06-29-2006, 10:41 PM

hey...you ever heard of willie amos???? one of the best athletes i can think of was an AWESOME football player at Nebraska before he tore his knee, and now he is on Chicago's practice squad...guess what....his snior year the mustangs didnt even make the playoffs...one man cant win state

wildstangs
06-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
hey...you ever heard of willie amos???? one of the best athletes i can think of was an AWESOME football player at Nebraska before he tore his knee, and now he is on Chicago's practice squad...guess what....his snior year the mustangs didnt even make the playoffs...one man cant win state

Missed the playoffs his junior year as well. Led the Mustangs to a 13-1 record as a sophomore. I dont remember who they lost to that year, but I am sure Kepdawg could fill us in on that.

smustangs
07-01-2006, 12:02 AM
snydertigersrul got kinda quiet after all that were ya at if your going to start something you better be here to back it up

Snydertigersrul
07-01-2006, 12:36 AM
If Wille Amos is so good then why is he on the practice squad?If you wanna see a good little league game come to snyder tomorrow night and watch the 9-10 year old all-star team beat sweetwater.:D

Snydertigersrul
07-01-2006, 07:05 AM
He Smustang, where did you go. Maybe you went to Chicago and watch him on the practice squad because he will never make it to Sunday.

smustangs
07-01-2006, 08:09 AM
im right here no i didnt go chicago and watch him but i bet you had plenty of time to last year when yall were all sitting at the house after the first round so did you watch him? did you not read he blew out his knee and had surgery on it but im not going to argue a stupid point w/ you. your to stubborn to see the point were all tryin to make so run a long now

DaHop72
07-01-2006, 12:27 PM
If you wanna see a good little league game come to snyder tomorrow night and watch the 9-10 year old all-star team beat sweetwater.:D I have watched both teams play and I have to agree with Snydertigersrul that if you want to see a good LL game venture over to Snyder tonight to Logan Field. Should be a good game.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tiger Baseball
07-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I have watched both teams play and I have to agree with Snydertigersrul that if you want to see a good LL game venture over to Snyder tonight to Logan Field. Should be a good game.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

According to geterdone its only 30 miles over here!

mustang04
07-01-2006, 04:20 PM
If Wille Amos is so good then why is he on the practice squad?If you wanna see a good little league game come to snyder tomorrow night and watch the 9-10 year old all-star team beat sweetwater.:D

ummmm....you are missing the WHOLE point:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: