PDA

View Full Version : Are the NBA Playoffs fixed???

Keith7
05-29-2006, 11:31 AM
I have watched every NBA playoff game possible this year, and I have been noticing at the end of games refs go whistle crazy, and its often in favor of a certain team. Some examples are like last night, when dirk jacked up a off-balance 3 at the 2 minute mark, and the ball hits the backboard, and falls into Jerry Stackhouse's and the Refs say the ball hit the rim, I saw about 5 replays after that, and I still can't say I saw the ball hit the rim.. Another example came at the end of the Spurs/Mavs game 7, the mavs go down the floor and get a 3 point play on very little contact, and then on the other side of the court a last second putback, with Dirk practically holding Duncan, doesn't get called??

I've seen more foul calls in the last 6 minutes of these playoff games (excluding blowout fouls) then I have seen in some entire regular season games.. Either these games are fixed or Mark Cuban is right about the NBA needing new refs, because the refs are clearly deciding the winners before the game even ends..

KTJ
05-29-2006, 11:41 AM
It wouldn't be the refs personally fixing the games. It's David Stern. He wants more money and will take it any way he can get it. And that usually means taking all playoff series' to the max of 7 games.

As for that ball hitting the rim, the refs didn't "purposely" miss that call. If you were watching the game, you would have heard Steve Javie go tell Mike D'Antoni (whom I really, really hate btw) that he screwed that up. It was his fault.

Sweetwater Red
05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
And those teams have Kobe, LeBron, and
Dwayne on them. It's the rule changes
that were made to favor the "high flyers"
rather than playing defense.

Gobbla2001
05-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I was at game 7, and on that 3-point play I thought there was very little contact myself at first, but when they showed the replay pretty much everyone in the AT&T center agreed it was a good call, just sux Manu had to do it...

Before Mavs/Suns game 1 they showed a replay of it, I was in the background and it was for SURE a foul... Manu's hands were all over Dirk's hands and wrists, both of 'em I believe, it was a great call...

----

As for it being fixed, how can it be?

If it favors LeBron and Kobe, why aren't they in the confrence finals?

The fact is that Detroit outlasted the Cavs, they play great defense and can get hot offensively... Dallas shot lights out in their last two rounds, you almost got the feeling that God couldn't stop 'em from scoring... The Suns run and gun and do it very well, if they can't stop you they'll just outscore you... And ANY team with players like Shaq and Wade on it are gunna be damn good (Just like Shaq and Kobe were)...

It's not fixed, these are basketball coaches running these teams, not actors out of Hollywood... their hearts beat basketball and I'm pretty sure if everything was fixed these coaches would have figured it out and would have already been on the road to exposing it...

Everyone loves a conspiracy...

KTJ
05-29-2006, 12:05 PM
This is the foul on Dirk by Manu at the end of Game 7. It's clearly a fould and everyone knew it.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57534035ge007_mavs_spurs_jp.jpg

Gobbla2001
05-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
This is the foul on Dirk by Manu at the end of Game 7. It's clearly a fould and everyone knew it.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57534035ge007_mavs_spurs_jp.jpg

:( :( :( :( :( :(

TheDOCTORdre
05-29-2006, 12:13 PM
trying to imply that the NBA playoffs are fixed is like trying to imply that the NFL was fixed for the New England Patriots to win Super Bowl XXXVI...

Matthew328
05-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Basketball is the toughest game in the world to officiate...they are gonna miss a lot of calls....you have these huge men who are incredible athletes playing a game that is very physical..if the refs wanted they could call a foul on every play...basketball is a lot more physical than it looks just watching...

Gobbla2001
05-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Basketball is the toughest game in the world to officiate...they are gonna miss a lot of calls....you have these huge men who are incredible athletes playing a game that is very physical..if the refs wanted they could call a foul on every play...basketball is a lot more physical than it looks just watching...

Like one of our coaches used to say at Cuero:

"Basketball is a contact sport, football is a collision sport"...

Basketball is becoming a non-contact sport in about 8 out of every 10 games, though, and it is getting on my nerves...

GreenMonster
05-29-2006, 01:16 PM
I disagree with most of you here. I think NBA games are fixed to a certain degree. I don't think it's "pro rasslin" fixed but I think the officials have been given a directive to make the games close at the end of regulation and to do their best to get to at least game 6. It's a money thing. Besides, nobody likes to watch a sweep, but a hotly contested 6 or 7 game series is a different beast in itself. NBA officials will usually be very one-sided in a blowout game where one team jumps out fast. By the end of the 4th quarter these games that should have been blow outs are very close. All you have to do is look at the foul disparity.

Gobbla2001
05-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I disagree with most of you here. I think NBA games are fixed to a certain degree. I don't think it's "pro rasslin" fixed but I think the officials have been given a directive to make the games close at the end of regulation and to do their best to get to at least game 6. It's a money thing. Besides, nobody likes to watch a sweep, but a hotly contested 6 or 7 game series is a different beast in itself. NBA officials will usually be very one-sided in a blowout game where one team jumps out fast. By the end of the 4th quarter these games that should have been blow outs are very close. All you have to do is look at the foul disparity.

I seriously doubt that a reffing crew can stop a team from blowing-out another without it being obvious...

These teams were in the playoffs because they were the best of the field, the games should be closer going by that fact alone...

If this is so, why didn't the Mavs and Grizz have a 7 game series? Why did the Mavs sweep them, why are there always sweeps in the early rounds? Because there are weaker teams in the early rounds... Why are the later rounds longer? Because there are better teams in the later rounds...

I guess you think Kennedy is still alive living in Montana too, don't you?

:D ha

GreenMonster
05-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

I guess you think Kennedy is still alive living in Montana too, don't you?

No, Kennedy is dead. LBJ had him knocked off. But Elvis is, he's the one that lives on the ranch in Montana. There was a movie out about him recently, Brokeback Mountain was the title. It was about Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa. :D

BTEXDAD
05-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I have watched every NBA playoff game possible this year, and I have been noticing at the end of games refs go whistle crazy, and its often in favor of a certain team. Some examples are like last night, when dirk jacked up a off-balance 3 at the 2 minute mark, and the ball hits the backboard, and falls into Jerry Stackhouse's and the Refs say the ball hit the rim, I saw about 5 replays after that, and I still can't say I saw the ball hit the rim.. Another example came at the end of the Spurs/Mavs game 7, the mavs go down the floor and get a 3 point play on very little contact, and then on the other side of the court a last second putback, with Dirk practically holding Duncan, doesn't get called??

I've seen more foul calls in the last 6 minutes of these playoff games (excluding blowout fouls) then I have seen in some entire regular season games.. Either these games are fixed or Mark Cuban is right about the NBA needing new refs, because the refs are clearly deciding the winners before the game even ends.. I would guess you're a spurs fan.

neck_06
05-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57534035ge007_mavs_spurs_jp.jpg [/B]

FOUL!!!

Keith7
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Believe me, I know its a foul, but I'm just saying, that that is half of the contact that was put on Duncan shortly after that, and that wasn't called

Keith7
05-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
trying to imply that the NBA playoffs are fixed is like trying to imply that the NFL was fixed for the New England Patriots to win Super Bowl XXXVI...

Thats not true, because the refs normally don't give one sided calls at the end of playoff games (they ussually blow them both ways), I guess you mis-read everything I wrote

Keith7
05-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

If this is so, why didn't the Mavs and Grizz have a 7 game series? Why did the Mavs sweep them, why are there always sweeps in the early rounds?

Because who cares about the Grizzlies?? They are probably one the most boring team in the NBA.. they didn't probably didn't want to waste their time talking about that series, when there were better ones going on like the Lakers and Suns

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

This pic needs to get the "spiveyrat caption of the day".
Did you notice that this was taken with a SPURS homecourt camera? Again proof that all of SA believes that Dirk is justifiably goofy to look at and hurts the eyes. We know he likes David Hasselhoff not Gene Simmons.

Matthew328
05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
here is why I believe the NBA isn't fixed...if the fix was in someone woulda snitched....if the CIA and FBI and White House can have all these leaks etc why can't the NBA?? Is their security tighter than the governments?? I doubt it..

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
here is why I believe the NBA isn't fixed...if the fix was in someone woulda snitched....if the CIA and FBI and White House can have all these leaks etc why can't the NBA?? Is their security tighter than the governments?? I doubt it..
lol
Well, now the NBA is tighter than the government i think.

Txbroadcaster
05-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Kieth,

You keep talking about the last second put back where u say Dirk was holding Duncan down, that might be true, but in game 6 Dirk has the put back and Tony Parker is grabbing his shirt and pulling down, and there was no call...Neither is a conspiracy, it was the refs trying to let the players decide the game on the last play.

PhiI C
05-29-2006, 11:02 PM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad:

Let's not start confusing incompetency with fixing.

slpybear the bullfan
05-29-2006, 11:13 PM
You are kidding right? Duncan shot more FTs than anyone during that series. It was ridiculous the calls he got.

Emerson1
05-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Kieth,

You keep talking about the last second put back where u say Dirk was holding Duncan down, that might be true, but in game 6 Dirk has the put back and Tony Parker is grabbing his shirt and pulling down, and there was no call...Neither is a conspiracy, it was the refs trying to let the players decide the game on the last play.
It was game 5 when dirk was pulled down, game 6 was when Josh Howard secured and offensive rebound and manu ripped through his arm to get the ball.

luvhoops34
05-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Are you Mavs fans STILL whinning about the reffing in the series with the Spurs???? Geez, get a grip. The series is over, you won, you need to move on.

schu1213
05-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
You are kidding right? Duncan shot more FTs than anyone during that series. It was ridiculous the calls he got.

YOU are kidding right? The mavs got so many calls its not even funny. Duncan goes to the line a lot because he attacks the basket, Dallas has no one who really does that consitantly.

Txbroadcaster
05-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by schu1213
YOU are kidding right? The mavs got so many calls its not even funny. Duncan goes to the line a lot because he attacks the basket, Dallas has no one who really does that consitantly.

WOW guess u dont watch the Mavs..this is not the jump shooting team of Nellie, this is a bunch of players attacking the basket, THAT WAS WHY THEY BEAT THE SPURS..SA could not stop the speed and driving ability of the MAvs enough.

And yes Duncan drives alot, but 23 FT in ONE game..sorry that is a BIT much...and for the record, I like BOTH teams

Emerson1
05-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Are you Mavs fans STILL whinning about the reffing in the series with the Spurs???? Geez, get a grip. The series is over, you won, you need to move on.
About 2% of mavs fans complained about the refs during the series, now about 99.9% of spurs fans did. According to Tim Duncan never in the history of his career has he commited a foul.
You sound like a bitter spurs fan to me

DaHop72
05-30-2006, 08:04 AM

I've seen more foul calls in the last 6 minutes of these playoff games (excluding blowout fouls) then I have seen in some entire regular season games.. Either these games are fixed or Mark Cuban is right about the NBA needing new refs, because the refs are clearly deciding the winners before the game even ends..
Build a bridge and get over it.:D :D

Adidas410s
05-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34

For once...I don't think Keith is whining. His examples were Mavs/Spurs examples but you could easily pull examples from Suns/Clippers...Suns/Lakers...Mavs/Suns...Cavs/Pistons...Bulls/Heat...Pistons/Heat. Now I'm not saying that I agree with him necessarily...but unlike in any other sport you COULD make a case if you wanted to about some type of possible collusion amongst officials.

Keith7
06-19-2006, 11:46 AM
are people starting to think alittle different after seeing lastnights game??

PHS Wildcats
06-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Are NBA games fixed, yea, Stern told Dirk to miss a free throw, told Dampier to miss a free throw and for Howard to miss 2 free throws.:thinking: All Dallas has to do is tell Stern no. So in other words Cuban's own players are double crossing him.:thinking: Nice thought.

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 02:16 PM
are people starting to think alittle different after seeing lastnights game??

no...I still don't think it's fixed. To truly fix a game you have to have either 1 team or a combination of both teams and/or a team and officials to fix a game. If this had been going on it would have eventually been leaked to the media by a player who got a raw deal.

slpybear the bullfan
06-19-2006, 09:16 PM
I do not believe they are fixed.... just impossible to officiate.

BRING ON FOOTBALL...

Keith7
06-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
no...I still don't think it's fixed. To truly fix a game you have to have either 1 team or a combination of both teams and/or a team and officials to fix a game. If this had been going on it would have eventually been leaked to the media by a player who got a raw deal.

Not exactly.. Refs play such a big role in basketball that they can single handedly control a game by themselves.. The league could also do things like suspend players and start enforcing certain rules harder to also alter the game.. Another thing is, why would the media leak this stuff if they are the ones making the money off of it??

Adidas410s
06-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Not exactly.. Refs play such a big role in basketball that they can single handedly control a game by themselves.. The league could also do things like suspend players and start enforcing certain rules harder to also alter the game.. Another thing is, why would the media leak this stuff if they are the ones making the money off of it??

If a team shoots 35-40% from the field...it's unlikely that they win too many games with or without the officials help.

Keith7
06-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
If a team shoots 35-40% from the field...it's unlikely that they win too many games with or without the officials help.

if they get 50 free throw attempts, they will have a great chance to win..

NHSBulldog75
06-20-2006, 01:13 PM
...who cares!!

I'm ready for week zero now

Go Roughnecks

"The power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force!!" - Darth Vader