PDA

View Full Version : De La Salle (CA) vs Southlake Carroll (Tx)

District303aPastPlayer
05-29-2006, 11:10 AM
This game WILL happen in 2007. I am wondering what everyone's thought are on a) this game occuring, and b) the outcome of this game.

District303aPastPlayer
05-29-2006, 11:14 AM
High school teams may get national TV exposure
By KELLY MELHART
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

SOUTHLAKE - It's a deal that would have most high school football teams salivating: nationally televised games against some of the top-ranked and best-known programs in the country.

For the third and fourth year in a row, it will happen in the Carroll school district.

In a deal approved by trustees 6-0 Monday night, the Carroll Dragons agreed to face Evangel Christian Academy of Shreveport, La., most likely on Sept. 14, and De La Salle High School of Concord, Calif., on Sept. 16, 2007. One trustee, Robert Glover, had to leave the meeting before the vote.

The deal is pending University Interscholastic League approval.

De La Salle cannot sign a contract more than a year before a game, said David Stephenson, president of TITUS Sports Marketing, which brokered the deal between Carroll and Chicago-based Paragon Marketing Group.

Officials at Evangel Christian Academy have already signed their contract, Stephenson said.

Carroll played Denton Ryan in 2004 and 2005 in televised games.

Under the agreement approved Monday, Paragon will retain all television rights, and will keep any revenue generated by advertisements not already in place between the Carroll district and local businesses.

Stephenson said that although Paragon will reap the advertising revenue, they also assume all the risk.

Paragon contracted with Stephenson's company to broker the deal with Carroll. And Paragon is covering the expense of bringing the teams to Texas.

Carroll will keep the gate receipts and the revenue from concessions and parking for the game against Evangel Christian, which will be played at Dragon Stadium. That should be on par with revenue from past home games that sold out, said Julie Thannum, Carroll's director of communications and marketing.

For the game against De La Salle, Carroll will retain 50 cents for every $5 student ticket sold and $1 for every $10 adult ticket sold. The game will be played in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, possibly at Texas Stadium or Southern Methodist University's Gerald J. Ford Stadium. The revenue will depend on how many tickets are sold, Thannum said. Carroll does not typically make money from an away game.

The growing number of 24-hour cable television stations with large markets have focused attention on top-seeded high school football teams, Stephenson said. "They're looking for programming," he said. "They've saturated the market with college football, and there is so much interest in high school football. Ten years ago, nobody from outside of Dallas-Fort Worth would have cared much about Southlake Carroll, but because of the Internet, fans in Florida or California not only know who Southlake Carroll is, they know who their star players are. And fans are intrigued by who really does play the best football."

Carroll football players are already talking about the possibilities.

"Our coach has kind of been telling us that there will be challenges ahead," said John Nathan who was a running back and safety on Carroll's freshman football team this year and hopes to play on the varsity team in the fall. "The other teams are good ... but I think we'll be ready. With all the work that we do, we will eventually be ready."

Kelly Melhart, (817) 685-3854 kmelhart@star-telegram.com

eagles_victory
05-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Only thing is that the two schools they are signed to play although traditional powers are not as good as they once were but nevertheless still some great games.

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-29-2006, 02:32 PM
i really wish i could be there to witness this game. it'll be a doozy

Gobbla2001
05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Southlake needs their own television station... Like SoutlakeSPN or something...

District303aPastPlayer
07-05-2006, 04:44 PM
ttt

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
This game WILL happen in 2007. I am wondering what everyone's thought are on a) this game occuring, and b) the outcome of this game.

Yes it will happen (verbal agreement) but as of now there has been no contract signed between the two. This is because of a DLS school policy that will not allow them to agree to something in writing more than 1 year in advance. Look for a contract to be signed in September with the game occurring around September 15, 2007.

DLS is still one of the best teams in California; sure they do not have the winning streak anymore but they are still an excellent team. They will challenge SLC, but I think SLC will still come out on top.

TexasHSFootball.com will be having a meet-and-greet at the game and everyone at 3ADownLow is invited as well. I will be posting more information about the meet-and-greet as the game approaches.

DaHop72
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Southlake needs their own television station... Like SoutlakeSPN or something... :clap: :clap: :clap:

lostaussie
07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
here is my worry. the team Gilmer has scheduled this year in there opener, Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, also has De Lasalle on their schedule in 2007. if they can play with them, why do they want to come to Texas and play us? That is exactly why i haven't been too fond of the idea of playing them.

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
here is my worry. the team Gilmer has scheduled this year in there opener, Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, also has De Lasalle on their schedule in 2007. if they can play with them, why do they want to come to Texas and play us? That is exactly why i haven't been too fond of the idea of playing them.

It's a team from Nevada. They will be destroyed by DLS and won't give y'all a game either.

lostaussie
07-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
It's a team from Nevada. They will be destroyed by DLS and won't give y'all a game either. why then would they schedule if they cannot be at least competitive?

injuredinmelee
07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
why then would they schedule if they cannot be at least competitive?

why not? Good experience for their kids and will be alot of funt o watch. If we werent playing brownwood that weekend it and it was someone like lowly Graham i would probably go to it.

I will be where ever SLC and the cali team play in '07.

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 07:38 PM
why then would they schedule if they cannot be at least competitive?

The kids might be able to say "We played 2 state champions in the same season!"

lostaussie
07-05-2006, 07:42 PM
The kids might be able to say "We played 2 state champions in the same season!" well kinda. they play us this year. they play De Lasalle next year.

tigerpride_08
07-05-2006, 09:40 PM
thats good stuff...

District303aPastPlayer
07-06-2006, 01:10 AM
i hope this game gets a saturday date, with television coverage

Adidas410s
07-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i hope this game gets a saturday date, with television coverage

I would expect a Thursday night game like has been done with many nationally televised HS games in the past few years.

Haunta Yo
07-06-2006, 08:44 AM
The kids might be able to say "We played 2 state champions in the same season!"

In 2001 Waxahachie had 3 losses on the year - all to State Champions. (Denton Ryan, Ennis and Everman)

AggieJohn
07-06-2006, 09:10 AM
i want a t-shirt made