PDA

View Full Version : Beware: Your PC Can Kill You

Cameron Crazy
05-28-2006, 04:42 PM
It's true: Your computer can kill you.We're not just talking about the gamers who have died at their machines after days of no food and water, but anyone who is affected by long hours at a desk.

New Zealand researchers have found that sitting at a computer for hours on end can cause fatal blood clots, just as long flights can lead to deep-vein thrombosis (DVT), known as "economy-class syndrome."

Sedentary Life Hazard
The research was undertaken by Wellington-based Medical Research Institute of New Zealand.

It discovered the link when a 32-year-old man who sat at his computer terminal for up to 18 hours a day nearly died after he developed a blood clot. The clot had developed in his leg, then traveled to his lungs.

DVT is caused when blood thickens in a vein, forms a clot, and causes the leg to swell. The most serious complication occurs when part of the clot breaks off and travels to the heart or other vital organs--sometimes with fatal results.

Dubbed e-thrombosis, the syndrome is typical of a modern sedentary lifestyle.

Variety Advised
Doctors suggest practicing some good ergonomic principles while sitting at the PC for extended periods. They urge flexing your toes and ankles, drinking water, and avoiding alcohol.

Computer users who sit for a long time should get up and stretch their legs at least once an hour, doctors advise. Taking an aspirin, which helps to thin the blood, can also help.

Desktop PCs aren't the only health hazards. It's wise to practice good ergonomics while traveling, too, experts suggest. Notebook computer users may risk problems from the double whammy of sitting for long periods at a PC--in economy class.

pirate44
05-28-2006, 04:45 PM
i remember after playing 4 hours straight of Super Mario World, i would get these scarey shocks in my arms. but as mar as i know, it left no long term affects on me:D