PDA

View Full Version : Was in Luckenbach for the 158th Birthday Party yesterday...

big daddy russ
05-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Great road trip. Sucked that there wasn't a single available hotel room within 150 miles of Luckenbach/Fredricksburg, but we still had a good time.

Two 24 oz. coffees and 200 miles later, we were at my doorstep and the sun was getting ready to come up. Drove with that nasty storm that came through SW Texas to get here, but we pushed through around Austin and made it the rest of the way.

Gobbla2001
05-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Who all played there? Would have loved to go...

pirate44
05-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Great road trip. Sucked that there wasn't a single available hotel room within 150 miles of Luckenbach/Fredricksburg, but we still had a good time.

Two 24 oz. coffees and 200 miles later, we were at my doorstep and the sun was getting ready to come up. Drove with that nasty storm that came through SW Texas to get here, but we pushed through around Austin and made it the rest of the way.
so, was it worth it?

big daddy russ
05-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Who all played there? Would have loved to go...
Only guys I had ever heard of was Thomas Michael Riley and the Ben Beckendorf Band. Both are Luckenbach mainstays.

Never heard any of Beckendorf's music before, but I really liked it. There were a few smaller acts, too. Best one, IMO, was a band named Johnny Gringo. I'm going to have to find one of his CD's.

They've been celebrating their 150th birthday party every year for the last eight years. I'm sure they'll do it again next year. Maybe we'll have a little M&G up there next year. Knock a few back in Luckenbach, then drive up the road to Fredricksburg and have a few more.

Originally posted by pirate44
so, was it worth it?
I thought it was. But then again, I still love driving. I would've liked to spend another day in the Hill Country (my girlfriend had never been to Luckenbach, and still hasn't been to Pedernales Falls, LBJ State Park, Bandera and a few other places), but we'll do it some other time.

big daddy russ
05-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Here's (http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/eventdetaildisplay.cfm?EventID=505&sx=1&pageid=D6A54E83-4982-4C0B-BD5ED3246398FA37&hbc=392711&shbc=C6AD8F&shtc=000000&htc=FFCC00) the link to Luckenbach's website.

Bandera YaYa
05-29-2006, 06:10 PM
A M&G in Luchenback would be the bomb!! Count me in.....but then I'm only about 45 min away! So, you only made it a day trip since you couldn't find a hotel room? Our town was wall to wall also.....had a new 3 floor dance hall open, right next to the historic Cabaret...can't wait to read the Sheriff's report this week!! Wonder how many visitors stayed on a little longer than planned!! :D :p :p

big daddy russ
05-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
A M&G in Luchenback would be the bomb!! Count me in.....but then I'm only about 45 min away! So, you only made it a day trip since you couldn't find a hotel room? Our town was wall to wall also.....had a new 3 floor dance hall open, right next to the historic Cabaret...can't wait to read the Sheriff's report this week!! Wonder how many visitors stayed on a little longer than planned!! :D :p :p
It started out as a little road trip, so we weren't exactly broken hearted when we had to drive back. We woke up Saturday morning, were bored, and decided to drive to Luckenbach.

Let's make it a date sometime next summer.