PDA

View Full Version : Region IV Finals -- Sinton vs Fal

District303aPastPlayer
05-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Site and Time TBD...

Go Pirates!!

pirateman98
05-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Well I guess now no one on here would jump on anyone's back for saying it is Sinton and Fal for the Region 4 title. Now that SFS and my prediction has come true, I will say it once again, the Region 4 champ goes to, Sinton. At least that's my opinion!

Bull Butter
05-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Good to know that S. Texas will be represented in Austin :)

pirate44
05-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Good luck Sinton in the R-IV finals

Buccaneer
05-28-2006, 04:05 PM
In my opinion this Sinton team is not as talented as the previous 6 teams(2000-2005). But they seemed to have acquired some ""Moody Magic" and have a good shot at winning if they can keep the errors to a minimum.

piratebg
05-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Pirates all the way, baby!!!

sintonfanseguin
05-29-2006, 02:51 PM
PIRATES ALL THE WAY TO STATE!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
05-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Game 1: Wednesday @ 8pm, Aviator Field
Game 2: Thursday @ 8pm, Aviator Field
if nec Game 3: Friday @ Alice HS, 8pm

$6 adult/$3 students

piratebg
05-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

$6 adult/$3 students

Thanks for the info, p4s. Is this game going to be broadcast over the radio? I'm pretty sure I have to work those days.

Bull Butter
05-29-2006, 04:00 PM
106.3 FM in Falfurrias broadcasts the Jerseys games, but the signal doesn't go very far.

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/KPSO_FM_LU.gif

piratebg
05-29-2006, 04:11 PM
As far as I know, none of Sinton's regular season or playoff games have been aired. There is an AM station that does all of the football games and ususually does the playoff games for the baseball team, but there has not been anything. It's kind of frustrating for those who can't go, but are able to listen.

GWOOD
05-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Hard to know who to pick in this one. After a quick exit in the playoffs last year, Sinton was not on anyone's pre-season radar as a team to watch for in Region 4. I didn't think they would get past Valley View, but here they are winning both games vs. Halletsville like champions--one in the bottom of the 7th, the other in extra innings.

Fal has experience in that six of their starters are returning starters from last year's regional finals vs. Yoakum. Yet, only three of those are seniors.

Both teams have baseball tradition. Many of Fal's players were in this spot last year. If these teams are dead even everywhere else, this experience gives Fal the edge.

I pick Falfurrias in 3 games.

neck_06
05-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Falfurrias has a total of 10 votes and a total of zero downlow members, sinton has about 20+ members and only 17 votes............enough said.

Go Fal!!

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 05:50 PM

$6 adult/$3 students
Thanks for posting that p4s.:)
Let's go Pirates!!! Make it to State!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

piratebg
05-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Experience definitely goes to Fal in this situation, but Sinton is on a roll. Having proven themselves against both Valley View and battling it out with Halletsville, I say momentum is with the Pirates right now. Sinton has beaten Falfurias once this season, so I don't think intimidation is a factor here. Both teams are playing at their best right now, but I'm gonna say the Pirates keep on rolling and takes this one in 3 hard fought games.

neck_06
05-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Falfurrias in 2

piratebg
05-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Sinton in 1.5

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
Falfurrias in 2
Shane you have a unique perspective in your assessment of Fal. Give us a scouting report?:)

neck_06
05-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Falfurrias' coaching staff are some of the smartest around...every batter scouted to a "T" and the players execute very very well......they made zero errors in the series. they put the ball in play very well i struck out a total of 2 in six innings (lowest total in high school). and back to their coaches being smart, they had our signs down, so if your coach gives signs to the catcher, watch em. thats really it, Falfurrias plays hard whether they are up 10 or down 10..........good luck, but i'm still taking Falfurrias in 2.

BTW.......their second pitcher is better than their first.

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Falfurrias' coaching staff are some of the smartest around...every batter scouted to a "T" and the players execute very very well......they made zero errors in the series. they put the ball in play very well i struck out a total of 2 in six innings (lowest total in high school). and back to their coaches being smart, they had our signs down, so if your coach gives signs to the catcher, watch em. thats really it, Falfurrias plays hard whether they are up 10 or down 10..........good luck, but i'm still taking Falfurrias in 2.

Thanks Bud. To clarify, I never rooted against yall, but felt that Fal could use some support here as there might be what two posters here and they are not very vocal. Also nexfan kinda riled some of us by saying the level of competition up there is superior to our little Coastal Bend. That never made sense to me.:confused: We know the area you are from plays pretty darn good ball.
Hey Shane, many of us have followed your career since you became a member here. I for one know you will have a successful career in whatever you choose to pursue. :cool:

piratebg
05-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Fal is probably looking to avenge that loss earlier during the year. I know we did not face their ace pitcher that game, but he may have been the number 2 guy. At the same time, they did not face our ace, so this is really going to be interesting.

piratebg
05-29-2006, 06:20 PM
The news on Channel 3 is calling for a 50% chance of rain on Wed and a 30% chance on Thurs. The rain has been around for a couple of days now, so hopefully Robstown lucks out.

sinton66
05-29-2006, 06:29 PM

I can tell you this much, you aren't going to find a better coach than Sinton's. I think he's the best high school baseball coach in the state. All three of Sinton's championships are with him at the helm. And trust me on this, he knows Fal as well as they know us. We've met at this stage before, several times.

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I can tell you this much, you aren't going to find a better coach than Sinton's. I think he's the best high school baseball coach in the state. All three of Sinton's championships are with him at the helm. And trust me on this, he knows Fal as well as they know us. We've met at this stage before, several times.
Coach K gets my vote every year. It's about time they started accepting my ballots.

GOFOR2
05-29-2006, 07:30 PM

I had a long response drawn out, but decided against it., so I am offering this truncated version. All I have to say is that you need to get out and watch more south texas baseball. There are plenty of smart coaches and good teams south of Columbia. Maybe you and your coaches should do a better job of disguising your signs. All teams down here play hard, especially when playing against teams like Sinton and Fal. Sinton and Fal were winning long before you guys dropped to 3A.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-29-2006, 07:30 PM
this might be the best hitting team Coach K has had, as 1-9 are all capable of getting a hit. They have been winning even though they making some mistakes. This will be a great series and i look for Sinton to win it in 2 games not because Fal is weaker , i just think Sinton can win two very close games in last inning or innings. Sinton gave them their first loss of the year and they know Sinton can beat them if they dont play at their best.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Hard to know who to pick in this one. After a quick exit in the playoffs last year, Sinton was not on anyone's pre-season radar as a team to watch for in Region 4.

I pick Falfurrias in 3 games.

Wasnt Sinton pick before the season started in top 3 or something like that but some quick blowout losses to Calallen and they disappeared from the radar

GOFOR2
05-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Wasnt Sinton pick before the season started in top 3 or something like that but some quick blowout losses to Calallen and they disappeared from the radar

this is true, but some people are under the opinion that if you dont play in District 25 or beat teams from the Houston area that you are not a very good team.

Maroon87
05-29-2006, 07:46 PM

I saw one of those Sinton/Calallen games. It was tight until the 4th when Sinton's defense went south.

Maroon87
05-29-2006, 07:48 PM
BTW we're in the Region IV-4A finals Saturday @ 2pm vs. New Braunfels @ Aviator Field in Robstown. It's a dreaded "one game playoff.":eek:

GWOOD
05-29-2006, 07:49 PM

You are exactly right. I went back and looked at the THSBM preseason poll (the only one they did and eventually the site went inactive). Here was their preseason poll in January:

1. Lindale
2. Sinton
3. Columbia
4. Carthage
5. Hudson
6. Bridge City
7. Falfurrias
8. Bullard
9. Abilene Wylie
10. Snyder
11. Lorena
12. Yoakum
13. Wimberley
14. Sweeny
15. Columbus
16. Canyon
17. Hallettsville
18. Levelland
19. Wharton
20. Decatur
21. Atlanta
22. Kemp
23. Liberty Eylau
24. Jasper
25. Perryton

Other teams getting votes: Pharr Valley View; Iowa Park; Liberty Hill

I had forgot about that poll.

Inside Prep/THSBCA did not include Sinton anywhere in their PreSeason Top 25. Nor did they mention them as one of the 8 teams to look out for in Region 4.

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
this is true, but some people are under the opinion that if you dont play in District 25 or beat teams from the Houston area that you are not a very good team.
Those are very few and far between. Don't forget that neck_06 was the starting GAME 1 pitcher for WC against Fal. He is entitled to his opinion and don't you think that he might just be a little upset his season is over. I know I would be. He's a top pitcher in the area and while he might not have experienced Coastal Bend ball much, he should get the benefit of the doubt imho.:)

PhiI C
05-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Those are very few and far between. Don't forget that neck_06 was the starting GAME 1 pitcher for WC against Fal. He is entitled to his opinion and don't you think that he might just be a little upset his season is over. I know I would be. He's a top pitcher in the area and while he might not have experienced Coastal Bend ball much, he should get the benefit of the doubt imho.:)

I didn't know neck-06 was a starting pitcher for WC! Good job and great season neck!

pirateman98
05-29-2006, 08:02 PM
I agree with GOFOR2, I don't think people up there give credit where credit is due. The two best teams made it to the Regional Final. They funny thing is that it was teams from district 30 and 31 3a. Just two South Texas that year in and year out, show just how much Power really lives here in baseball. Like to see some teams, just North of us, play the likes of Moody, Calallen, Robstown, Odem and see how they fair with them. I just hit the tip of the iceberg with just those teams alone. I think once they play some of these teams, most of them would happily go back to where the came from and thank God they don't have to play these teams year in and year out. Again, just my opinion!!:D

GOFOR2
05-29-2006, 08:02 PM

and I cant share my opinion or what?

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 08:12 PM
and I cant share my opinion or what?
lol
You already did.:p
I do agree that our area does have some of the best BB played ANYWHERE in Texas. BAR NONE! :clap:

GOFOR2
05-29-2006, 08:13 PM
lol
You already did.:p
I do agree the our area does have some of the best BB played ANYWHERE in Texas. BAR NONE! :clap:

right. i was just being sarcastic. ;)

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
right. i was just being sarcastic. ;)
I don't know if you remember I kinda rebutted what nexfan said just last week in the this (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=44980) thread. lol

GOFOR2
05-29-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't know if you remember I kinda rebutted what nexfan said just last week in the this (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=44980) thread. lol

yea, i remember. i dont guess they went to graduation with smiles.

sintonfanseguin
05-29-2006, 08:27 PM
YEAR IN YEAR OUT SOUTH TEXAS ALWAYS SENDS A TEAM TO AUSTIN,EITHER SINTON,CALALLEN OR MOODY!!!GET THE PICTURE,SOUTHTEXAS RULES BASEBALL!!!

pirateman98
05-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Straight to the point, I like that SFS!

Go Sinton Pirates!!

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 08:32 PM
yea, i remember. i dont guess they went to graduation with smiles.
Good point. But I'm not Phil, even though my post did smack of "show some compassion".
I have enjoyed neck_06's posts though and he's a pretty good guy. I saw him play in football, too.
Too bad our boys aren't allowed to post. I'd treat any of them the same.
:clap:

Maroon87
05-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by sintonfanseguin
YEAR IN YEAR OUT SOUTH TEXAS ALWAYS SENDS A TEAM TO AUSTIN,EITHER SINTON,CALALLEN OR MOODY!!!GET THE PICTURE,SOUTHTEXAS RULES BASEBALL!!!

To be more specific, the Coastal Bend usually sends a team to Austin. We really are blessed with some strong programs on the diamond. Only bad thing is next year Moody and Calallen will both be 4A so it will either be one or the other instead of both.

District303aPastPlayer
05-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
To be more specific, the Coastal Bend usually sends a team to Austin. We really are blessed with some strong programs on the diamond. Only bad thing is next year Moody and Calallen will both be 4A so it will either be one or the other instead of both.

i was REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hoping that Calallen, Robstown, and Moody would all wind up in the same district....

SintonFan_inAustin
05-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i was REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY hoping that Calallen, Robstown, and Moody would all wind up in the same district....

lol the other teams in that district would have no hope for a playoff appearance if those 3 were in same district for baseball :doh:

LH Panther Mom
05-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Falfurrias has a total of 10 votes and a total of zero downlow members, sinton has about 20+ members and only 17 votes............enough said.
I believe there are a few "anti-Sinton" votes placed. ;)

Maroon87
05-30-2006, 06:49 AM

Same here. Talk about the "group of death"...:eek:

pirate4state
05-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I believe there are a few "anti-Sinton" votes placed. ;) :eek: :eek: Whoever heard of such a thing? :rolleyes:

piratebg
05-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I believe there are a few "anti-Sinton" votes placed. ;)

Well, I guess that's what happens when your popular. :D

pirate4state
05-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
The news on Channel 3 is calling for a 50% chance of rain on Wed and a 30% chance on Thurs. The rain has been around for a couple of days now, so hopefully Robstown lucks out. I hope the rain helps cool it down, but what are the chances?? :(

sinton66
05-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Okay Pirates, lets step it up and punch me a ticket to come and watch in Austin.;) I really do need to take a couple days off.

pirate4state
05-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Okay Pirates, lets step it up and punch me a ticket to come and watch in Austin.;) I really do need to take a couple days off. IF they make it, I plan on taking a couple of days off. :D

bd62
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
i saw the hallettsville- sinton game in victoria and sinton has the best shortstop i have seen in years. he was the difference in that game with all the defensive plays he made plus his bat.

pirate44
05-30-2006, 02:44 PM
IF they make it, I plan on taking a couple of days off. :D
if work is slow, and i can find some change in my sofa, i'll take a day or 2 off for a short trip

sinton3055
05-30-2006, 05:21 PM
I'll be trying to get updates from here as long as someone posts them. I'm 150 miles off the coast of Louisiana headed to pull some subsea equipment for Thunder Horse. Internet is not always good on the boat but I'll swing by when I can, Good luck pirates. I try to get some cool pictures for the low.

District303aPastPlayer
05-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by bd62
i saw the hallettsville- sinton game in victoria and sinton has the best shortstop i have seen in years. he was the difference in that game with all the defensive plays he made plus his bat.

who is the shortstop? i dont even know, and who is volunteering to take me tomorrow :)

SintonFan_inAustin
05-30-2006, 09:13 PM
who is the shortstop? i dont even know, and who is volunteering to take me tomorrow :)

Daniel was the ss and he made a great play that look like it was going thru for a hit up the middle,but cut it off and made a great throw to first

piratebg
05-31-2006, 07:43 AM
Today is the day Pirates. Let's get ready to take care of business.

GO PIRATES!!!

Bull Butter
05-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Good luck to both teams, looking forward to a great series. I may even make my way up from the RGV to catch a game.

pirate44
05-31-2006, 07:49 AM
good luck :clap:

piratebg
05-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Shot at state for Jerseys, Pirates
Falfurrias to battle Sinton in regional finals

By JAVIER BECERRA Caller-Times
May 31, 2006

One thing is certain - either Falfurrias or Sinton is headed to the University Interscholastic League state baseball championships.

Only the Jerseys and Pirates can decide which team ends up at Round Rock's Dell Diamond next week.

The local Class 3A powerhouses square off in a best-of-3 series for the Region IV title beginning tonight at Fairgrounds Field. Game 2 is set for Thursday night back in Robstown, with a third scheduled for Friday in Alice, if needed.

"It's as big as it gets," Falfurrias coach David Salinas said of the showdown. "It's like Robstown-Calallen or Moody-Carroll. These are teams that have been two of the best in 3A for many years. One of us is going to state one way or another."

Sinton coach Gene Kasprzyk isn't surprised about the matchup.

"From my standpoint, I'm happy that it's a South Texas series and that we were able to keep it in the Coastal Bend," he said. "It's something that happened before, and I'm sure it'll happen again."

The last time was 2003, also in the regional final. Sinton (28-8) swept the series 13-1 and 3-1 and defeated Canyon 4-3 in the state semifinals before losing to Lorena 3-2 in the championship game.

It's been an even longer time since Falfurrias (26-6) last made an appearance at the state tournament.

In 1993, the Jerseys defeated Rockport-Fulton 17-3 for the regional title and went on to beat Hooks 4-3 in the state semifinals. Falfurrias met Bellville in the championship game, losing 6-2.

Having lost in the regional final in 1997, 2003 and again last season, the Jerseys are ready for a return to state.

"They feel like they have something to prove," said Salinas, whose team was ousted by Yoakum in three games a year ago. "The kids feel like they have some unfinished business. That's been their battle cry all season long."

Falfurrias and Sinton each had a bye in the first round, the Jerseys as District 31-3A champions and the Pirates as winners of 30-3A. Maneuvering through the postseason has taken some work for both.

After taking out Ingleside 4-3 and 10-0, Falfurrias dropped the opener of its three-game regional quarterfinal series against Hidalgo 3-2. The Jerseys rebounded to win the next two games 9-1 and 3-0 to move on.

Falfurrias met West Columbia in the regional semifinals and held on to win the series opener 2-1. The Jerseys then outlasted the Roughnecks for an 8-6 victory in 11 innings to complete the sweep.

"Our pitching has been real steady and we're playing outstanding defense when we have to," Salinas said. "We're turning double plays, making key outs and manufacturing runs our way. We're playing our style."

A regional finalist four of the past five years, Sinton opened with a 7-6 loss to Zapata before taking two in a row from the Hawks 8-4 and 13-6. The Pirates then slipped past Pharr Valley View 9-4 and 7-6 in the regional quarterfinals.

Hallettsville had Sinton against the ropes in the first game of a best-of-3 regional semifinals series, but the Pirates rallied for three runs in the bottom of seventh inning for a 5-4 victory. The Pirates then pulled out a 3-2 win in nine innings in the second game.

"We feel pretty good coming off of last week," Kasprzyk said. "We were pretty excited about getting by Hallettsville. Our kids have great respect for Falfurrias and are preparing to be involved in a tight series. Hopefully we can find ways to be successful."

Sinton did during a non-district game in early April.

Playing at home, the Pirates held Falfurrias to only three hits in a 4-1 victory. Irrelevant then in terms of the district standings, Kasprzyk said that game matters little.

"It was one of those mid-district deals where we both had open date," he said. "The game that we played is meaningless. It was long ago and both teams have changed since then. We're not looking back at that game as any gauge going into this."

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or HYPERLINK mailto:becerraj@caller.com becerraj@caller.com

pirate4state
05-31-2006, 09:18 AM
woo-hoo!! It is GAME DAY!!! :) Looks like we might be getting some rain. :(

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nx_mosaic_400x300c/SIR/inmSIRTXS.gif

Hopefully it will just be scattered showers!

GO PIRATES GO!!!

pirate4state
05-31-2006, 01:38 PM
It's raining. :weeping:

SintonFan
05-31-2006, 01:38 PM
It's gonna start raining soon and keep coming down for awhile. This game might not happen.:(

piratebg
05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Keep the faith my friend. If you spank them, they will cry.:thumbsup:

SintonFan
05-31-2006, 01:42 PM
:( :( :( http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nx_mosaic_640x480c/SIR/inmSIRSC.gif
Is it me or does that thing look kinda like a tropical system ala a weak depression or tropical storm.:eek:

piratebg
05-31-2006, 01:43 PM
:( :( :( http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nx_mosaic_640x480c/SIR/inmSIRSC.gif
Is it me or does that thing look kinda like a tropical system ala a weak depression or tropical storm.:eek:

It is, according to four-eyed, too tanned, big toothed, dead wrong Dale Zunke.

SintonFan
05-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
It is, according to four-eyed, too tanned, big toothed, dead wrong Dale Zunke.
Don't forget he can be accurate too. It only took him twenty years of crying "IT'S GONNA SNOW!!!" before it it finally came true.;)

District303aPastPlayer
05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Don't forget he can be accurate too. It only took him twenty years of crying "IT'S GONNA SNOW!!!" before it it finally came true.;)

JUST twenty years

GWOOD
05-31-2006, 03:23 PM
How's the weather looking now?

District303aPastPlayer
05-31-2006, 03:23 PM
its steamy in Sinton

pirate44
05-31-2006, 03:24 PM
at least my lawn is getting a drink

piratebg
05-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Kind of sticky for a South Texas showdown. For you guys going to the game, don't forget the OFF.

SINTON81
05-31-2006, 03:46 PM
I just called a buddy who works in Robstown, he said it hasn't rained yet. He did say it looks like it wants to rain though.

:(

District303aPastPlayer
05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by SINTON81
I just called a buddy who works in Robstown, he said it hasn't rained yet. He did say it looks like it wants to rain though.

:(

friend in kingsville said its comin down there right now

District303aPastPlayer
05-31-2006, 03:51 PM
friend in kingsville said its comin down there right now

rain comin down in the 5 points area...

pirate4state
05-31-2006, 03:54 PM
rain comin down in the 5 points area... Just great! A steam bath tonight in Robstown. :( The PIRATES better win!! :p

SINTON81
05-31-2006, 03:55 PM
rain comin down in the 5 points area...

Radar shows it being a small shower, and clearing up towards Robstown.:clap: :clap:

SintonFan_inAustin
05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
i been in robstown near the baseball field doing a service a call nearby and no rain :D , cloudy but no rain has fallen when i was there at around 3 til 4:30, but some rain clouds nearby

piratebg
05-31-2006, 04:46 PM
It's getting close to game time and so far it looks like the weather is holding. I can feel the anticipation building.......

SintonFan
05-31-2006, 07:27 PM
It looks like that system moved farther north than what was predicted.
Looks pretty clear in the area.