PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong to drive

Maroon87
05-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Tour de France winner Armstrong to drive pace car
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Lance Armstrong says auto racing could be in his future.

After driving his first laps around the 2.5-mile track, Armstrong hinted that he might start racing cars one day.
The seven-time Tour de France winner drove his first laps around the 2½-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway track under the tutelage of former winner Johnny Rutherford on Saturday and will be the pace car driver Sunday at the start of the Indianapolis 500.

Though the prospect of leading the 33 starters to the green flag at more than 100 mph is daunting, he hinted he might start racing cars one day.

"It's just a question of time," he said. "I've been invited to every race school, but I don't have the three or four days to go do that. But I will one of these days."

Armstrong said his first impression of the track was of its size.

"It's like a city," he said. "When you get in, it's a lot bigger, a lot grander than I thought. On the track, I was a lot more impressed and nervous than I thought I would be, too.

"I just hope I don't mess it up," Armstrong said.

Last year's pace car driver was former Secretary of State Colin Powell. Others in recent years included celebrities Morgan Freeman, Jim Caviezel, Anthony Edwards, Jay Leno and Elaine Irwin-Mellencamp, a model and wife of rock star John Mellencamp.

Armstrong said Rutherford, who won the race three times and now is in charge of special projects for the Indy Racing League, told him to keep the field of cars together at a steady pace on the final warmup lap before the green flag begins the race.

"They'll sometimes play games with each other, move forward and backward, try to get an advantage somehow. So he was telling me, 'Just make sure you keep looking in your rearview mirror. Don't let those guys drift back on you. You've got to drift back with them,'" he said.

Armstrong was in Monte Carlo on Thursday to watch practice for the Formula One Monaco Grand Prix and arrived in Indianapolis on Friday night. Saturday's pace car practice was his first time on the track, he said.

"As freaked out as I was today, it's going to be a whole other level," he said of driving in front of 250,000 or more people in the stands.

He doesn't have a favorite driver.

"I'm a race fan, so whoever has the best team, the fastest car, the most efficient stops, that's who deserves to win," Armstrong said.

Phil C
05-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Horay! Even though he isn't racing the Tour de France coming is going to be extra interesting with his comentary. Aren't you all excited?

Bandera YaYa
05-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Well, since you asked.......Lance Armstrong is an ego maniac....Sheryl Crow learned that the hard way. Thank God he is out in Hollywood these days, preying on the young stupid girls there, and not in this great state! I wonder how many still think their "idol" is worthy anymore?? BLAH!!! HE'S WAAAAAAAAYYYYY OVER!!!! :hand::hand: :hand:

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Well, since you asked.......Lance Armstrong is an ego maniac....Sheryl Crow learned that the hard way. Thank God he is out in Hollywood these days, preying on the young stupid girls there, and not in this great state! I wonder how many still think their "idol" is worthy anymore?? BLAH!!! HE'S WAAAAAAAAYYYYY OVER!!!! :hand::hand: :hand:
The guy's got ONE NUT and yet you still...:mad:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Would it hurt you to say something good about a man once in your life?

Bandera YaYa
05-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
The guy's got ONE NUT and yet you still...:mad: Yeah you would think that after all he went thru, he'd have learned a little humility! I'm certainly glad he's cancer free....come on now.....but he's still full of himself! Ugh!And I know several men who have beat cancer too and they aren't living like they are God's gift to women!!! I just think his "victim" card has been played long enough! He's just a comman playboy now, trying to make it on his good looks and charm..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
05-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Would it hurt you to say something good about a man once in your life? I am the first to say something nice about a "good" man. And I do know a few of them. And I think a few of them reside on here, too!!! :kiss: :kiss:

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Yeah you would think that after all he went thru, he'd have learned a little humility! I'm certainly glad he's cancer free....come on now.....but he's still full of himself! Ugh!
lol
Sheryl Crow is God's gift to men?:p

Maroon87
05-29-2006, 09:30 PM
lol
Sheryl Crow is God's gift to men?:p

Well...she IS pretty hot.:inlove:

Bandera YaYa
05-29-2006, 09:31 PM
lol
Sheryl Crow is God's gift to men?:p I don't believe she thinks she is, do you?? And he dumped her.......but then she played with fire and got burned. Or, do you mean she's not busty enough to be considered "hot"??? :thinking:

Bandera YaYa
05-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Sorry, but I think he cheated on his wife and he cheated in his racing. He's a cheater. But that is just my opinion, and ya'll can have yours. :D

Milk That Cow
05-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Bandera,

Did I miss something...

When did Lance become such a Playboy, or prey on the Hollywood women?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-29-2006, 09:46 PM
And where is evidence of him cheating? I mean, the guy had cancer and worked his butt off. Is being passionate and having a strong work ethic and a will to succeed against the rules now. I do think you have a vendetta against any man who leaves a woman.

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't believe she thinks she is, do you?? And he dumped her.......but then she played with fire and got burned. Or, do you mean she's not busty enough to be considered "hot"??? :thinking:
Nah... Sheryl Crow is NOT BRANGELINA...

Phil C
05-30-2006, 08:35 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad:

Adidas410s
05-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Well...she IS pretty hot.:inlove:

:thumbsup:

Bandera YaYa
05-30-2006, 02:09 PM
And where is evidence of him cheating? I mean, the guy had cancer and worked his butt off. Is being passionate and having a strong work ethic and a will to succeed against the rules now. I do think you have a vendetta against any man who leaves a woman. No, but I have a HUGE problem with putting men like him up on a pedestal. IMHO he broke all the rules.

Bullaholic
05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
The guy's got ONE NUT and yet you still...:mad:

Important safety tip, SF. One should make sure that all 5 lug nuts are tightened and secure before attempt to lap Indy at over 100mph. Having only 1 nut out of 5 in place on a wheel would be extremely hazardous.

Bandera YaYa
05-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Important safety tip, SF. One should make sure that all 5 lug nuts are tightened and secure before attempt to lap Indy at over 100mph. Having only 1 nut out of 5 in place on a wheel would be extremely hazardous. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-30-2006, 03:01 PM
No, but I have a HUGE problem with putting men like him up on a pedestal. IMHO he broke all the rules.
I think it is more of your problem towards males to begin with.

SintonFan
05-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Important safety tip, SF. One should make sure that all 5 lug nuts are tightened and secure before attempt to lap Indy at over 100mph. Having only 1 nut out of 5 in place on a wheel would be extremely hazardous.
lol
;)

Bandera YaYa
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
I think it is more of your problem towards males to begin with. Well, you might have something there.....if more "men" would act like men, then I don't think I would have a problem at all. Too many want their cake and to eat it too! That's all I'm saying. You are young. You still look thru rose colored glasses...which is nice while it lasts. There has to be more to worship of an individual, then how many ribbons or tropheys one wins. And I have always said I am glad he beat cancer, but you know, thousands and thousands of people have and beat cancer and many do not.....some of them real heroes in my book....so let's not make it like I am bashing a cancer victim here.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Well, you might have something there.....if more "men" would act like men, then I don't think I would have a problem at all. Too many want their cake and to eat it too! That's all I'm saying. You are young. You still look thru rose colored glasses...which is nice while it lasts. There has to be more to worship of an individual, then how many ribbons or tropheys one wins. And I have always said I am glad he beat cancer, but you know, thousands and thousands of people have and beat cancer and many do not.....some of them real heroes in my book....so let's not make it like I am bashing a cancer victim here.

Well, I would appreciate it if you kept your comments about men to yourself. It is one thing to have that mentality, but another to demoralize someone just because they are a man every opportunity you get.