PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Mom

Stick
09-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Ranger Mom, I have read your posts for some time now and have great respect for you individually, but as a freelance sports photographer I must tell you of my impression of the rest of Greenwood after Friday night. I spent a considerable amount of time on the Greenwood sidelines Friday night and have heard better language from 21 year old sailors. The coaches as well as the players left a poor impression of the people and educational experience of the Greenwood people. I enjoyed a wonderful game and have some great pictures to share in the future. It is a shame that my lasting impression, as well as my assistants, was the vulgarity of teenagers and their coaches. I have found this to be the rarity and not the norm, but I felt you should be aware of it.

Green Ranger
09-15-2003, 09:30 AM
I can promise you, that if the coaches said anything it was in the heat of the moment and probably from a bad call from the great officiating crew we had. That does not make it right by any means. As far as the kids saying stuff, boys will be boys, but I promise you this if Coach Purser were to here any of it, it would be stopped. I apologize and hope the problem stops but that is not how are we usually act, again I apologize on their behalf

heck
09-15-2003, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I heard the same thing from the "chain gang". Purser did complain to the refs nearly the entire game. I just wrote it off as enthusiasm until I heard from the guys running the chains.

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 09:49 AM
I have to agree with Green Ranger on this one. Coach Purser would not be happy in the least. I know how the language is on this sidelines - my daughter is a trainer. She wasn't working that game, but she has told me about what is said at other games. I have never heard her say she heard anything from the coaches though it's usually the boys and the same "few" boys at that!

Heck, what exactly are you talking about with the chain-gang and Purser complaining to the refs. I didn't understand what you meant!

BrahmaMom
09-15-2003, 10:03 AM
It might help those guys to know that college coaches at many D1 schools take a dim view of their players and coaches using foul language.

vet93
09-15-2003, 10:04 AM
Rangermom...I took it to mean that Heck was confirming the language comment based on what the "chain gang" heard as well.

Bandera YaYa
09-15-2003, 10:14 AM
..."Boys will be boys"??...what kind of excuse is that? I'm so very sick of that kind of mentality (STUPIDITY?)in this world. If you raised your "boys" right, they wouldn't talk like this on or off the field. ...or they wouldn't rape.....or they wouldn't drink and drive .....or they wouldn't make improper advances toward uninterested females...!!!Geeeezzzzz...
(Sorry, but that really gets my goat! :mad: )

vet93
09-15-2003, 10:17 AM
I am by no means defending what was heard or disputing its validity. However, this was a very heated game with many calls on both sides that were questionable. It is unfortunate that inappropriate words were used. I am sure that Coach Purser does not condone the use of that language. I also don't think that he or his coaches had a whole lot of time to find out which players were using foul language and reprimand them when they were obviously in a back and forth game. I have also known coaches that have let words slip in the heat of battle as well. Let's give coach Purser, his staff and players a little leeway...I am sure that they wish that they had not said some of those words themselves and would respond differently if given the opportunity.

xlr8tor
09-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Bandera YaYa:
..."Boys will be boys"??...what kind of excuse is that? I'm so very sick of that kind of mentality (STUPIDITY?)in this world. If you raised your "boys" right, they wouldn't talk like this on or off the field. ...or they wouldn't rape.....or they wouldn't drink and drive .....or they wouldn't make improper advances toward uninterested females...!!!Geeeezzzzz...
(Sorry, but that really gets my goat! :mad: )Have to say AMEN to that one ya ya. Pretty sad to give the reason as above, or "well, they have to sew their wild oats." No they don't! I've known young people, male and female who never drank, did drugs, had sex, or cursed throughout high school. And no, they weren't the nerds. They were all district, all region, and all state ball players, student council members, National Honor Society members, and on and on the list goes. They have to curse, drink, have sex?? NO, not at all. All they have to do is stay white, black, brown, or whatever color they are and die. (And, you can even work on your skin color now if you are so inclined.)

Now that I'm off my soapbox, it seems strange and inconsistent that that sort of language would likely not be allowed in the classroom, and surely not allowed coming from the teacher's mouth. But, on a field, on the sideline, in a gym, teachers (coaches) and students (athletes), in school activities, on school property are allowed to speak in such a fashion. Seems very inconsistent. Just my take.

heck
09-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Rangermom,
What I was referring to is the guys that ran the chains, which are always on the visitors sideline were saying that Purser dropped the F bomb & G.D. many times and that the kids followed suit. Now don't get me wrong, I am not judgeing just reporting.
Oh another thing, one of those guys from the chain gang asked the ref why he didn't flag purser. His reply, "oh i've heard a lot worse"! Sounds to me like the refs were a little uncomfortable with the job they were doing and figured they had better lay low instead of making another terrible call!
I too thought it was a poorly officiated game, maybe the worst I'ver ever seen, but that didn't affect the outcome of the game.

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

BrahmaMom
09-15-2003, 10:35 AM
I hate the "boys will be boys" mentality, too, YaYa. Having four boys(some now men), I hate that excuse for poor manners, behaviors, judgements,and worse. They get to a point where their moms have done all they can, and Lord knows we do our best. If a coach decides not to tolerate it, I guarantee the language or behavior will stop. Right, wrong, or indifferent, coaches have more power than moms in the football world, and they should exercise it wisely and for the good of the team.

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 10:40 AM
I have to disagree with you to a point YaYa!! I have caught my boys using language they wouldn't dare use around me. Are you saying that I haven't raised them right??

I have a younger brother and sister, we were all three raised by the same parents, the same way. They are twins and 22 months younger than me.
They have both dabbled in drugs, alcohol, etc. I, on the other hand, am only a social drinker, I have never done drugs, yet we were all raised in the same "right" way!!

I think parents may to blame at some levels, but saying a rapist is that way because of his parents?? I know a family whose son is a child molester--while I hate that man as much as I am able to hate--I love his parents deeply and would NEVER think of blaming them!!

vet93
09-15-2003, 10:50 AM
One other thing...again...I am not condoning or trying to justify the actions of the Greenwood players and coaches but I think that it is unfair to single out the actions of this one team when on a given friday there are many other teams saying the same things on the sidelines. I can assure you that the official was telling the truth when he said that he has heard worse. I played on a team where this language was NOT modeled by the coaches nor tolerated from the players and our team was very much in the minority regarding language issues. I don't know how good I feel about singling out Greenwood on this issue when there are so many teams that are just as guilty. It seems that Stick could have handled this situation with a personal message to RangerMom instead of handling it publicly. Or if he wanted to make the point about explicit language he could have refrained from using the teams name.

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks Vet93!!

I guess Greenwood (and Ranger Mom by association) are destined to be targets no matter what we do!! :rolleyes:

1 ranger fan
09-15-2003, 11:01 AM
It's obvious that many of you have never been to a Greenwood football game before. Purser is always on the refs. As far as the language thing I know that Bob doesn't like it, but maybe it was something that got out of hand. The ref's should not be allowed to call another High School football game ever. It did not change the outcome of the game, but it was absolutely the worst I have ever seen. Both ways. I have been on the sidelines before and it is not a problem only in Greenwood. So let's not condemn only the rangers. It is a society problem and it is only going to get worse. Just my two cents!!!!

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 11:09 AM
I agree 1 ranger fan - my husband often runs the chains at our Varsity home games. He has told me several stories that I never felt any real need to "run to the board" and blab about. I just don't want it to get to the point where "people" post about every wrong thing we do and nothing about anything good we do!!

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

heck
09-15-2003, 11:40 AM
I have played and coached and now I am a fan. I have let a few words slip (like when the offensive pass interference was called against Swater's #2 negating a great catch...a very poor call!) and I don't think its a big deal! However, letting one slip and consistently cursing are two different situations. There are several towns/schools where this is the norm. So be it. If the school and town puts up with it then the rest of us shouldn't care too much, should we? I mean as long as your winning (sarcasm!) you will put up with a lot right?

But I say to you who choose to think that your coach is a saint...he/she likely ain't! He is just a man/woman under a lot of pressure to win and they can get pretty ugly when things don't go their way. I watched Purser and he literally questioned every call I saw and he did so with a lot of enthusiasm. Maybe thats the way he handles pressure, I don't know. But I've watched him for four games now and he is consistent!

Should we be discussing this on a public board? Heck, I don't see why not. I don't think Stick or anybody else should be kept from putting a civil post on this board and I certaily don't think Rangermom had anything to do with the words flying around on the sideline...:-)

vet93
09-15-2003, 11:49 AM
I agree with you that this is something that should be discussed. I really don't care for cussing in any situation but understand when people's emotions are running high. My objection was why single out the Rangers? Could this discussion have been brought forth without using the Rangers as the only example...it sure could have. I am not sure that dragging purser's name through the mud actually accomplishes anything.

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 11:57 AM
I understand what each and everyone of you is saying. But now I am on the defensive and I hate to feel that way. I don't doubt that there was profanity coming from some player's and possibly coaches mouths, that doesn't make it right by any means!!
I have a hard time believing that much came out of Purser's mouth! In fact, I think I may just print out this whole thread and give it to him at the booster club meeting tonight - it might make some of them think twice! It's worth a shot anyway! :)

spiveyrat
09-15-2003, 11:59 AM
Ranger Mom:
I have to disagree with you to a point YaYa!! I have caught my boys using language they wouldn't dare use around me. Are you saying that I haven't raised them right??

I have a younger brother and sister, we were all three raised by the same parents, the same way. They are twins and 22 months younger than me.
They have both dabbled in drugs, alcohol, etc. I, on the other hand, am only a social drinker, I have never done drugs, yet we were all raised in the same "right" way!!

I think parents may to blame at some levels, but saying a rapist is that way because of his parents?? I know a family whose son is a child molester--while I hate that man as much as I am able to hate--I love his parents deeply and would NEVER think of blaming them!!I agree with you RangerMom. I think it's just the company you keep. If you hang around people who cuss, drink, fornicate, smoke, etc, then you're more likely to participate in those types of behavior. I think this is ESPECIALLY true for adolescents who are so much more prone to trying to "fit in".

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 12:06 PM
You know it wasn't until I had graduated from High School and started working in the Emergency Room that I realized so many people cussed. The doctors, nurses....everybody. I was so shocked, because I wasn't raised like that - at all. Now, it is everywhere you go, Wal-mart, the mall, etc. 25-30 years ago you were able to shelter your kids from the profanity, now it's next to impossible if you own a Television!!

sinton66
09-15-2003, 12:47 PM
I know none of you asked, but here's an old man's perspective. This sort of thing is simply a sign of the times we live in. What was totally unacceptable for public behavior ten years ago is rapidly becoming the norm today.

The mass medias are partially to blame. Comedy specials on TV these days are filled with filty language in an attempt to be funny. Movies inundate people with sex, violence, and bad language.

Parents are partially to blame in that they are sometimes too busy earning a living to make a life and to monitor what their children are watching. It's easy to do in the home, but not when they go to the movies. Those standards are being relaxed also.

The bottom line is it is primarily the fault of individuals in this country that feel they must "push the envelope" and continuously try to "break more ground" and see how much more they can get away with. It is simply "me-ism" at it's worst. It's NOT the kids. Everything about America's traditional value system is under attack from many different directions.

The only thing you can do is to maintain your outrage at it, point it out where it exists, complain to the advertizers that sponsor it, and hold the responsible parties accountable regardless of who they are.

In this particular case, I think Ranger Mom came up with the perfect solution. Print this thread out and present it to the coach at the booster club meeting. If in fact they were guilty of this behavior, I suspect it will come to a sudden halt.

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Green Ranger
09-15-2003, 12:59 PM
You know what, cussing for whatever reason is not need in any means. There is no excuse, be it in the heat of the moment or when boys are boys. I agree 100% that cussing is not needed. I know Greenwood has a target on our backs, but to single us out on something like this is not fair at all and in my opinion this post needs to be taken off. Reason being, to let a few words said by a few players stain the entire team character is unfair to say the least. Daingerfield prime example, last year play-offs, a few players (who later fessed up and apologized) in my eyes did not take away from a good game played. The fact we are targets are are ranked should not be a reason to drag their names through the mud especially Coach Purser when it is going on by other teams around the state. If this topic is going to be brought up, do it so that a team be unknown. To call somebody out like that in my opinion is a sin just as much as cussing is a sin. Just my two cents worth!

heck
09-15-2003, 01:08 PM
I think this all started with Stick stating what he witnessed Friday nite. If you all get offended by what coaches and kids do, then you get offended easily. I am sure other teams are just as bad and maybe worse (I stated that earlier) but I don't see this as being that big of an issue. Afterall, its just a game played by boys that follow their adult coaches for the most part and try and emulate them.

Rangermom, I don't want to offend you or anyone else on this board. Football is a very violent game that doesn't always bring out the best in people. I don't see why you or any other poster from greenwood should become defensive. If the coach swears and that bothers you, do something about it, if not, no big deal. I can almost guarantee you that if the coach does it the players do it!

Stick
09-15-2003, 01:13 PM
I apologize for starting such a 'firestorm'. My main objective in posting this, was not to single out the Rangers. I photographed at several fields before, but the Mustang Bowl does not have a track and I found myself closer to coaches than in games past. Does this happen at other games? I am sure it does, but for me personally I was uncomfortable, because my assistant Fridat night was my 12 year-old niece. This was her first time on the sidelines of a football game and the first thing she told her dad when she got home was "Those coaches and players need to have their mouths washed it with soap." Again I apologize to Ranger Mom, since she he has been put on the defensive for her entire school and athletic program.

1 ranger fan
09-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Amen sinton66. As for the rest of this, 2 years ago most people didn't even know where Greenwood was, now we are the topic of conversation. So I will take all of this as a compliment to our situation at the time. We start losing and no one will care if our kids are cussing or not, Heck they probably won't be standing on our sidelines.

1 ranger fan
09-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Hey stick, why in the name of Heaven would you take a 12 yr. old on the sidelines of a football game? You have heard this kind of language before if in fact you have ever been on the sidelines of any football game. I apologize for what she might have heard, but I would never have taken my 12 yr. old on the sidelines.

Cameronbystander
09-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Having been to a lot of football games in several states, I can tell you that this is not a widespread problem. Most coaches control their sidlines well and keep this sort of behavior in check. There is always the infrequent curse word and coaches and officials should address it if it gets out of hand. The worst I ever heard was at a Junior College game in Mississippi. I was totally amazed at the language and the volume at which it was expressed.

At this level this should not be tolerated. RangerMom, I believe you should let you HC know about the concern and I bet he takes care of this.

Gobbla2001
09-15-2003, 01:32 PM
I was raised right, never cursed much but it was around you wherever you went... You hear it here, you hear it there, used this way, used that way... And finally, without even using the language, you KNOW it by heart...

So in the heat of the momment, it's automatic for stuff like that to come out...

I remember when I was in like, 7th grade, I never cussed etc... But I was sitting in the back-seat of our mini-van and had the door open and reached back to get my back-pack, my right foot was hanging out of the van and my step-bro slammed the front door on it... I automatically (without thinking) yelled out 'S**t' (and yes, I got into trouble, I couldn't sit down without intense pain for a while)... Was I a potty-mouth? No... But you hear it at school no matter where you're at and before long it becomes protocol to say it in certain situations...

Not everyon'e perfect... I'd rather have my daughter marry a cusser than a wife-beater (no, I don't have a daughter, I'm only 20, just an example), you just have to pick your poison...

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

heck
09-15-2003, 01:34 PM
1 ranger fan,
I wouldn't hesitate to take a 12 yr old on the Sweetwater sidelines.

Gobbla2001
09-15-2003, 01:35 PM
And while we're on it, what makes a curse word anyway?

I think the royal-family suggested we use proper table-etiquette and also suggested we not say 'certain' words... So basically, are we doing this just because some stuck-up 'royal' folks back in the 1600's said not to?

We can say doo-doo, but not 's**t', and I got detention in HS for saying crap...

What's the deal with bad words?

1 ranger fan
09-15-2003, 01:42 PM
heck,

don't let your pride get in the way of what reality is. You should go stand on your sidelines then make that call. I wouldn't take my 12 yr. old on your sideline either. I'm sure that your coach doesn't tolerate that nonsense just like our coach doesn't, but don't try and convince me that your sideline doesn't say something every now and then that you would not want your 12 year old to hear.

heck
09-15-2003, 01:52 PM
simmer down ranger fan, pride has nothing to do with this. i have been on the swater sidelines and i have never heard anything that i wouldn't want a 12 year old to hear. if you notice most swater kids that age sit on or near the rail which is essentially on the sideline. i am not saying the players don't let "one" fly occasionally but the coaching staff doesn't and most if not all the players know he won't put up with that.

but i can tell you that your coach has that reputation so whether he condones it or not, he does it and does it well. the swater coach doesn't!

btw, ranger i am not trying to convice you of anything! this board is for entertainment and information, thats it. if i wanted to argue about language i would look up my old english teacher.

Gobbla2001
09-15-2003, 01:59 PM
By replying you are arguing (you know, making your 'arguement')...

So bring on the teacher...

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 02:08 PM
There is no need to apologize to me! wink I understand how you feel, I have a 14 yr. old daughter that works as a trainer at those games. I warned her going in that she would hear stuff, be treated as a "nothing", etc. She still wanted to do it, so there she is and she's loving every minute of it! :D

1 ranger fan
09-15-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm sorry heck,
I didn't realize how rosey things were in swater. Maybe our coach could learn from your coach about language and your coach could learn about football.

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 02:22 PM
TIME OUT!!!!!!

I vote we lock this thread before it starts getting out of hand!!

Matthew, Jacket....where are you??

xlr8tor
09-15-2003, 02:26 PM
sinton66:
I know none of you asked, but here's an old man's perspective. This sort of thing is simply a sign of the times we live in. What was totally unacceptable for public behavior ten years ago is rapidly becoming the norm today.

The mass medias are partially to blame. Comedy specials on TV these days are filled with filty language in an attempt to be funny. Movies inundate people with sex, violence, and bad language.

Parents are partially to blame in that they are sometimes too busy earning a living to make a life and to monitor what their children are watching. It's easy to do in the home, but not when they go to the movies. Those standards are being relaxed also.

The bottom line is it is primarily the fault of individuals in this country that feel they must "push the envelope" and continuously try to "break more ground" and see how much more they can get away with. It is simply "me-ism" at it's worst. It's NOT the kids. Everything about America's traditional value system is under attack from many different directions.

The only thing you can do is to maintain your outrage at it, point it out where it exists, complain to the advertizers that sponsor it, and hold the responsible parties accountable regardless of who they are.

In this particular case, I think Ranger Mom came up with the perfect solution. Print this thread out and present it to the coach at the booster club meeting. If in fact they were guilty of this behavior, I suspect it will come to a sudden halt.AMEN! GO TELL IT ON A MOUNTAIN! (Seriously, very good post on this issue.) Just my take.

heck
09-15-2003, 02:26 PM
gobbla, i may decide to argue now. like i said the board is for entertainment and info, and i can see that ranger 1 is wanting to have some fun so i will play along.

no need to apologize ranger 1, its all in fun and i still stand behind my statments. but i don't mind you standing up for your coach. you like him and thats great. if you read my prior posts, i said this ain't no big deal. your coach cusses and sweetwater's doesn't. obviously you don't care and i sure don't care what your coach does.

your team won the game and you have a lot of good athletes. its been a great run from greenwood and you should be proud. but you don't have degrade the coaching ability of the swater coach. i reckon you could go and compare records but our coach is a lot younger than yours so that might not be fair. but you can't argue that Swater has been pretty successful in football and most other sports. I don't know all that much about your past. btw, you should compare the winning percentages of each coach. see what you can find out.

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 02:39 PM
This will be my last post on this. I was afraid we were gonna get into the "my dad can beat up your dad" mode, and I want NO part of it!! It's childish and get's nobody anywhere!!

I know Coach Purser and his wife, I have a hard time believing that someone from another place can say he is a "cusser". Did he he cuss at that game, maybe so!! I find it difficult to believe that he regularly cusses at the refs (he may argue).

To tell you the truth, I said the sh*t word twice at the game Friday myself. Sorry if that blows anybody's image of me, but that's how it goes!!

I don't normally talk like that, but when the fumbles happened, it just tumbled out of my mouth.

That's right folks, you heard it here: RANGER MOM IS A "CUSSER"!!
eek! eek!

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

heck
09-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Ranger Mom,
Your post reminds me of a guy i played with back in the day. He was as mild as he could be until gametime. He then became a raving lunatic and would bounce words off of each of us if we screwed up. I still laugh when I think about a 160 .lb center cheweing out a 250 .lb tackle. He is now a successful veternarian. Oh another thing about this guy, he was really a religious person, especially for someone that age.
I enjoy your input on this subject. Don't think I am picking on your team, I'm not. I just thought i would chime in regarding the comment from the "chain gang".

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

Gobbla2001
09-15-2003, 03:06 PM
RANGGGGGGGGGER MOMMMMMMMMM RULLLLLLLLLES!

Bandera YaYa
09-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Now that I am calmed down....I just hate to hear "boys will be boys" as an excuse for bad behavior..like it's OK. I don't think people are bad parents just because their kids say a few cuss words. And I know EVERYONE gets upset and say words they shouldn't...I know I have and so have my kids. That's not what I meant....I know we as parents can do everything possible and our kids can still choose wrong over right....just don't use the "boys will be boys" reason for doing so....that's what I meant.
Sorry RangerMom......

As for as the pointing the finger at Greenwood, it sounds like someone actually heard it all and that's bad.....and I would bring it up for sure to someone that can do something about it...but we all know that it happens everywhere at some point. I do not like to see coaches tolerate it or do it...they are supposed to be the teachers out there on the field. I don't think Stick was trying to say Greenwood is horrible and everyone doesn't do that...he just made an observation. I would have reported the same thing if it upset me that much.

That said, I do not think any less of Greenwood.
This reminds me of a debate I had with a good friend of mine, about the Catholic priests and all the sex abuse that has unfolded in the past few years. I was saying how horrible it was, how sad for the children abused and how could the church have just brushed it under the table for so many years! He took immediate offense and said he was mad because they were pointing the finger just at the Catholic church....why not other religions! .....the whole point should be to protect innocent children from molesters...not on what religion the molester is from. So for too many years, priests were apparently allowed to continue abusing children because " priests will be priests"???? Was that the mentality???

We have to fight the right battle for the right reasons.

Peace and Ya Ya.

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

sinton66
09-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Ya Ya, I can see why your friend took immediate offense to what you said. If she was Catholic, she was raised to believe that the priest is the next thing to GOD. You NEVER questioned your Priest. She would have also known that all of the cases of child abuse in the Catholic Church combined make up about only 10,000,000th of 1 percent( 1 in 100 Million) of the Catholic population of children. So, the very VAST majority of Priests would never DREAM of doing something like that. What we're talking about is ONE Bishop, one single man that decided to sweep it under the rug. It is NOT the fault of the Church or any other member of their congregations.

Pedophilia is a disease. They tend to migrate to professions where children are present in large numbers. ALL youth organizations have to deal with this. Trust me, I know this.

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Chief Woodman
09-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Years and years ago in a world far away......

When an adult saw or heard a youngster do something wrong, he would tell the kids parents. They would accept the adult as truthful, and "solve" the problem at home. As collective group, society was better for it.

Present day and time..........

When an adult sees or hears a youngster doing something wrong they take 1 of 3 actions.

1. Make excuses for the behavior and sometimes even encourage it..."boys will be boys".."in the heat of the moment"....etc

2. Tell the parents and have then sue you for "meddling with my child"....or even just as bad have them make excuses for the child and support the child (as if the child would not lie to stay out of trouble)

3. Just keep quiet and pretend it did not happen.

With this attitude in society, is it really amazing that we have the problems we do...even to the point of folks making excuses for the President when he lies under oath to a grand jury?

The only way things will change is for parents to tell the head coach if he did do this, that character is more important than wining football games, correct the behavior or fire him.

Character in the coaching staff is more important than wining. Just as character is more important than "its the economy stupid"

Just some thought from someone who all too often sees the worst humans do to one another "In the heat of the moment"

Bandera YaYa
09-15-2003, 06:15 PM
.....so because it only happens to one child out of 100 mil it's tolerable????? It's OK because the vast majority would never dream of doing that to a child??? Sounds like the "boys will be boys" kind of thinking. I'm not Catholic, but if I was, I would be OUTRAGED and I would demand some kind of accountability from the top, at the very least, not sweep it under the rug. And what about those abused who cannot or won't tell, for whatever reason? But then, I'm not Catholic, I don't believe that the "Priests" are a notch below God. I believe they have to answer to God, like everyone else, but they of all people should be upholding the ten commandments...but I also believe that they will be judged for their sins, and maybe that's where their victims will finally get their justice. (I am only talking about the priests who have abused). I just don't think that the Catholic body has responded to this as they should. Just because it involves a priest shouldn't make it less of an issue. I sincerely doubt parents would be so defensive if it was their kid that was abused.

Sorry, just a real sore subject with me......kids need our protection at all costs, some have no one to speak for them.

sinton66
09-15-2003, 06:32 PM
What you don't understand, in the Catholic Church, the Pope is the final authority in all matters of the Church. He is considered infallable in respect to matters of the religion. There is a congress of Bishops , and they have taken steps to correct the situation. What makes Catholics angry is that people assume it is a widespread problem, which it isn't. It has been blown completely out of proportion by the news media, TV, and movies. It is being handled. The guilty Bishop is no longer in a position of authority. The guilty priests are no longer priests. Millions of dollars have been paid to the victims and their families. Steps have been implemented to try to prevent this from happening again. Why do you assume nothing was done? What your friend was trying to tell you is that you need to stop condeming the Catholic Church and start looking for other sources of child abuse. There are far more in other areas. Look at the trouble the BSA is having with the gays. The BSA has been before the US supreme Court three times now to defend their right NOT to allow gays in their membership or to become Scout Leaders. They have won every single time. You need to realize that what I said on the RangerMom thread is true. Every single American traditional value is under attack from multiple directions. Do they really need more ammunition?

1DAWG
09-15-2003, 07:06 PM
RangerMom,
Is Coach Liles still in Greenwood?
I do not know a lot about Greenwood, only what I read on the boards, but I know a lot about Coach Liles. We grew up together, played football together, and went to college together. He is one of the finest individuals that you will ever meet. I do not believe that he would be associated with a bad program. Everyone will lose their temper in the heat of the moment but it is not a major issue! From the sound of it you have a great program!
Hang in there!! Everyone Loves to Hate a Great Program!

1 ranger fan
09-15-2003, 07:13 PM
Hey 1dawg
Don't know if ranger mom is on or not, but no Liles has moved on to Midland Lee. That is the reason our defense has some work to do. One of the best defensive coaches around. And yes a wonderful man.

Bandera YaYa
09-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Don't want to agrue about religion on here...I know it's a highly personal topic and I respect that. But you still are missing the whole point, the most important thing are these abused kids....it could have been the Methodist church or the Mormans...that doesn't matter, I'm not picking on the Catholics because they are Catholic, but on the priests who did it, are doing it and those who think it's OK to cover it up. I don't agree that it's all over with, how you know this I would like to know. Are you sure some kid isn't being abused this minute by a priest somewhere? Are you sure that another priest isn't being transfered to another town?
I just don't think it was an isolated incident, as you seem to think it was. I'm saying stop looking around and pointing out other horrible issues, just to try and lessen this one. Why can't Catholics say "This is horrible, unacceptable and I am ashamed for Catholics everywhere!" Instead, they go on the defensive.
I don't understand that. I know this is sensitive and if I have upset anyone I am sorry that I feel so strongly about this. I have many Catholic friends who are very devout, very strong in their faith. Again, I am not against Catholics at all, I hold the individual priests and bishops accountable. I have prob said too much....sorry....

sinton66
09-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Okay, no one said it was Ok or tolerable or anything else. My point is that is YOUR view. Why are you so quick to jump off the deep end and ASSUME the worst in any situation? Yours is the typical OVER-REACTION that Catholics have battled for centuries. The Catholic Church, the millions of members and the leadership of the religion did not conspire to cover anything up. They simply were not aware. When they were made aware, they were outraged and demanded justice. Steps were taken, the guilty have been tried and convicted. In fact the priest that was the central character in all this was murdered in his prison cell about two weeks ago. I guess my question for you now, is what the hell else could you possibly want from the Catholics?

Bandera YaYa
09-15-2003, 09:01 PM
I don't want anything, I know Catholics have suffered....I guess I didn't say it right. Never mind. I have alot of Catholic friends and I never said they or any one else not involved was responsible. Sorry I didn't get my point said right.

But if you want me to feel sorry for the child molester that was killed in prison, can't do.
He wasn't the victim in the story. Don't forget about the victims.

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

sinton66
09-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Nobody has, I assure you. BTW, I know some of these things because I have faith. I am a convert to Catholicism. Was raised Southern Baptist. My wife's Uncle is the retired Bishop of the Amarillo Diocese. There were three out of the seven in her dad's family that served the church. I know some inside things most Catholics don't know. I know what the Bishops went through in the aftermath of all of this. Trust me, yours was not an atypical reaction.

<small>[ September 15, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
09-15-2003, 09:35 PM
I think that's wonderful to have so many in your family serving the Lord. I have faith also. That's what keeps me going in this hard old' world, for sure! Peace to you and your loved ones...always. :)

sinton66
09-15-2003, 09:51 PM
From me to you also. wink

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Okay....can we please let this thread die a peaceful death?? Everytime I get on here and see my name, I cringe.

I said I wasn't going to post again on this thread so I guess that makes me a "liar" and a "cusser" now!! LOL

sinton66
09-15-2003, 10:00 PM
I'm sorry. are we keeping you up? :D

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 10:08 PM
No...actually I just woke up!! I have been in bed this evening with a sinus infection. I fell asleep watching the Cowboys and I guess my internal clock told me it was half-time because I woke up in a panic thinking my alarm hadn't gone off. Now I am WIDE AWAKE!!!

sinton66
09-15-2003, 10:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. At least the 'boys are doing ok, and you're on the 'low. Life can't get much better can it? wink

Ranger Mom
09-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Life would just be about perfect right now......if I could BREATHE!!! :D :D

pirate4state
09-15-2003, 10:45 PM
I've read most of this & I guess I'm one of "those" bad people you guys are talking about. My parents raised me right, but I'm still a HUGE CUSSER!! My parents have nothing to do with it. I just cuss & I see nothing wrong with it. I see most of you do so I'd probably be one of those people you shy away from. For the most part, I try not to cuss in public or in front of children, but I'm human & sometimes I get "over excited" & out fly the profanities. As far as high school kids & coaches go it wasn't too long ago that I was in school & there were cussers. I don't know about ya'll but I've seen coaches/players get caught on TV, cussing at the college & professional level so to think that it doesn't happen is just naive. I don't have kids & maybe if I did my position would be different. I know I'm rabbling cause I'm trying to watch the boys set some kind of record for field goals in a game :mad: ... better go now before I rile some people up. :D :p

vet93
09-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Just as a side note...I was watching the cowboys last night and just about evertime they panned the camera to an upset Jim Fassel he was letting go with the F-bomb. No wonder we see the trickle down into high school athletics when the role models have no problem saying those things. However...I am sure he was probably saying Fudge so it was a moot point! wink

vet93
09-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Rangermom...please check your pm's

mustang04
09-16-2003, 09:19 PM
OK....i think Rangermom puts it the best, a cussword will slip every once in a while, now if ANY of yall on here are Jesus, ill let you criticizing everyone for cussing, it happebns, ive let a few slip, when i was about 4 years old, i'd always go outside and work with my dad, and when something would happen that i saw that would diplease him, he'd say the S-word, i aint blaming it on him, to me cuss words are very stong emotional words that are 'ok' at a certain point,but not before that point,but some words are just very derrogatory, like the mother of all cuss words i think its stupid when ya hear ppl cuss LITERALLY every 3 words, theres no need, and our coaches do really good in keepin their cool and not cussing, and yes players will cuss, wether they whisper it, think it, or yell it, sorry to disappoint some, but thinking it is just the same as saying it, but to me its not a matter of actually saying the word, its about RESPECT, when you dont cuss in situations where someone normally would, your showing respect for the people around you, to me this is a topic that can be argued on too much.....thats just my opinion, but lets just end this topic