PDA

View Full Version : Agent Confident Ricky Williams Will Join CFL's Argonauts

ILS1
05-27-2006, 05:41 PM
TORONTO -- It appears to be a matter of time before Ricky Williams joins the Toronto Argonauts.

Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, said Saturday his client hasn't yet received permission from the Miami Dolphins to play in the Canadian Football League this season. However, Steinberg expects the Dolphins to allow the former Heisman Trophy winner to suit up for the Argos in 2006.

"Although I am loathe to say that because it could put some pressure on the Dolphins, I would be incredibly surprised and disappointed if it didn't happen," Steinberg said when asked whether Williams' joining the Argos was a certainty. "I assume it will happen but I'm being very careful to be very delicate here.

"I have a terrific relationship with the Dolphins and [Miami coach] Nick Saban has been terrific in his support of Ricky," he said.

Williams was suspended by the NFL for the entire 2006 season after a fourth positive drug test. He missed Miami's first four games last year following his third positive test.

Williams and Steinberg are in Toronto and have met with Argos ownership and president Keith Pelley. However, the two sides have gone as far as they can until the Dolphins give their blessing. Williams is still under contract with Miami for the next two seasons.

Once the Dolphins grant their permission, Steinberg said it won't take long for Williams to sign with Toronto. The Argos opened training camp a week ago and are scheduled to play their first exhibition game Friday night.

Williams won't come cheaply, though. He will reportedly earn around $250,000 with Toronto, which would easily make him the highest-paid running back in the league. He is interested in the CFL because it would allow him to stay in shape and make money. He owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he retired in 2004.

The Dolphins' main bone of contention surrounds player contracts in Canada. The standard CFL deal is for one year, with the club holding the option on a second season. If Williams signed such a deal with Toronto, he would have to clear waivers in the CFL after the 2006 season in order to return to the NFL.

But if another Canadian team claimed Williams, he'd have to go there and play out the 2007 season.

"Nick Saban wants to make it crystal clear that Ricky returns there after this year," Steinberg said. "Miami wants it absolutely air-tight that they won't lose this player."

The 29-year-old Williams rushed for 743 yards last year and averaged over 4 yards a carry with Miami despite missing the club's first four games.

Story Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2460494)

Brahma73
05-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Atta boy Ricky, you drug-headed degenerate. Go smoke yourself into oblivion in another country!

Does anybody know if there is a number of failed drug tests that can actually keep these losers from playing again? How many would your company allow... and still pay you A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS A FREAKIN' YEAR?!?!

It feels good to know I'll be starting my 3rd consecutive year of not watching a pro football game. Just doing my part to not contribute to this fiasco.