PDA

View Full Version : Blue State Football Rules

olddawggreen
05-25-2006, 08:44 PM
I saw this on a couple of other sites today, don't think it has been posted here yet, if it has, sorry. What do you think?

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - High school football coaches in Connecticut will have to be good sports this fall — or risk a suspension.

The football committee of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference, which governs high school sports, is adopting a "score management" policy that will suspend coaches whose teams win by more than 50 points.
A rout is considered an unsportsmanlike infraction and the coach of the offending team will be disqualified from coaching the next game, said Tony Mosa, assistant executive director of the Cheshire-based conference.

"We were concerned with any coach running up the game. There's no need for it," Mosa said. "This is something that we really have been discussing for the last couple of years. There were a number of games that were played where the difference of scores were 60 points or more. It's not focused on any one particular person."

Some have dubbed it the "Jack Cochran rule," after the New London High's football coach, who logged four wins of more than 50 points last year. In New London's 60-0 rout of Tourtelotte/Ellis Tech, Cochran enraged the Tourtelotte bench by calling a timeout just before halftime. Tourtelotte's coach was arrested on breach of peace charges after police say he struck a security guard and an assistant New London coach.

Leo Facchini, New London's athletic director, called it unfair to single out his coach.

Facchini said he and Cochran tried to pull in the reins during New London's 90-0 drubbing of Griswold last season by trying to get both sides and the timekeeper to agree to run a continuous clock.

Some states, including Iowa, continuously run the game clock in the second half if a team has a 35-point lead. The Connecticut committee rejected a similar proposal because members thought it would unfairly cut into backups' playing time.

District303aPastPlayer
05-25-2006, 08:45 PM
The University of Southlake Carroll wouldn't like that...

also the rule is bullish...

lostaussie
05-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Anti Blowout Rule in Connecticut

Not sure how I feel about this. I have seen some 50 point wins that could not have been avoided without really showing up the opposition. I think it is very bad to ask your bottom stringers to run out of bounds or fall down. I have no problem with the continuously running clock but this sounds extreme.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2457707

Coaches face suspension for wins of 50-plus pointsAssocaited Press

HARTFORD, Conn. -- High school football coaches in Connecticut will have to be good sports this fall -- or risk a suspension.

The football committee of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference, which governs high school sports, is adopting a "score management" policy that will suspend coaches whose teams win by more than 50 points.

A rout is considered an unsportsmanlike infraction and the coach of the offending team will be disqualified from coaching the next game, said Tony Mosa, assistant executive director of the Cheshire, Conn.-based conference.

"We were concerned with any coach running up the game. There's no need for it," Mosa said. "This is something that we really have been discussing for the last couple of years. There were a number of games that were played where the difference of scores were 60 points or more. It's not focused on any one particular person."

Some have dubbed it the "Jack Cochran rule," after the New London High football coach, who logged four wins of more than 50 points last year. In New London's 60-0 rout of Tourtelotte/Ellis Tech, Cochran enraged the Tourtelotte bench by calling a timeout just before halftime. Tourtelotte's coach was arrested on breach of peace charges after police say he struck a security guard and an assistant New London coach.

Leo Facchini, New London's athletic director, called it unfair to single out his coach.

Facchini said he and Cochran tried to pull in the reins during New London's 90-0 drubbing of Griswold last season by trying to get both sides and the timekeeper to agree to run a continuous clock.

Some states, including Iowa, continuously run the game clock in the second half if a team has a 35-point lead. The Connecticut committee rejected a similar proposal because members thought it would unfairly cut into backups' playing time.

Old Tiger
05-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Like they say on NCAA....There are some games where you just can't do anything wrong.

zeus63
05-26-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't think that you should intentionally run up the score on an opponent. However, a rule that punishes coaches for teams kicking the crap out of someone else is ridiculous. What's next, a rule that says if you are up by 35 or more you have to kneel the ball or kick on 3rd down? I don't think so. IF YOU CAN"T STAND THE HEAT GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!

pirate4state
05-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by zeus63
I don't think that you should intentionally run up the score on an opponent. However, a rule that punishes coaches for teams kicking the crap out of someone else is ridiculous. What's next, a rule that says if you are up by 35 or more you have to kneel the ball or kick on 3rd down? I don't think so. IF YOU CAN"T STAND THE HEAT GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!! :clap: :clap: Bunch of wussy babies! Can't have little Johnny getting his little feelings hurt. :rolleyes: Good grief! This is ridiculous. There would be a revolt if anyone was stupid enough to suggest that in Texas!!!

zeus63
05-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:clap: :clap: Bunch of wussy babies! Can't have little Johnny getting his little feelings hurt. :rolleyes: Good grief! This is ridiculous. There would be a revolt if anyone was stupid enough to suggest that in Texas!!!

That's because in Texas the majority of us can appreciate a good ol' country butt kicking, whether it's dishing it out or receiving it. It's very theraputic.

Adidas410s
05-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Like they say on NCAA....There are some games where you just can't do anything wrong.

I have a lot of those actually! :rolleyes: Did that info that I sent you ever help you out with the HB Direct stuff?

Necked
05-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen

An evil plan:
Your losing 49-0 to your arch rival. You make your QB run out of the endzone on the final play of the game. Saftey. 51-0. The opposing coach gets suspended!!

District303aPastPlayer
05-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Necked
An evil plan:
Your losing 49-0 to your arch rival. You make your QB run out of the endzone on the final play of the game. Saftey. 51-0. The opposing gets suspended!!

thats just plain wrong

Gobbla2001
05-26-2006, 12:25 PM
***?

Running up the score is not a good thing, but neither is not stopping the other team from scoring...

If you don't want to lose by more than 50 points, PLAY DEFENSE AND SCORE TOUCHDOWNS...

Toword the end of the game when you're up you're gunna send those 2nd and 3rds in and the other coach probably will as well... Do you want the kids to stop playing football? they're just gunna get hurt if they're TRYING to suck...

Gobbla2001
05-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Just another reason for us to say God Bless Texas!!!

Gobbla2001
05-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Necked
An evil plan:
Your losing 49-0 to your arch rival. You make your QB run out of the endzone on the final play of the game. Saftey. 51-0. The opposing coach gets suspended!!

Or how about this... you accidently score (is that possible?) and take a +50-point lead... time is tickin' down and you're sweating because you're about to be suspended if the OTHER team doesn't do something... so you have to kick the ball off now... so you just tell your kids to stand there and let the dude score a touchdown? I think that'd be more embarassing to me being 'given' a touchdown than getting stomped by more than fiddy points...

You know I tried to find a phrase or word to describe my feelings on this without using profanity and I couldn't...

p4s is the closest with "wussy babies"... knock that dub-ya off and put a * infront of it... yah

Old Tiger
05-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I have a lot of those actually! :rolleyes: Did that info that I sent you ever help you out with the HB Direct stuff? Haven't played him yet...but it pisses me off because he'll no huddle the HB direct.

Sweetwater Red
05-26-2006, 03:53 PM
It sucks for the 2nd and 3rd stringers.
What/ are they supposed to play at
half speed and take a knee or whatever?

Old Dog
05-26-2006, 05:37 PM
You can't force this type of behavior on kids! No third stringer should have to rein in his excitment at getting to play.

As I have stated before, this type of thing is like giving "Participation" trophies in Little League. In life there are winners and losers. Kids need to learn the facts.

Do you really thing such a thing scars a kid for life.......hell no!!!!!!!