PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Sampson/OU ~~ NCAA decisions

lepfan
05-25-2006, 02:34 PM
It appears that some of the penalties are going to follow Sampson....I was going to cut and paste, but couldn't....so here is the link

http://newsok.com/article/1853709/?template=sports/main

pirate4state
05-25-2006, 02:57 PM
ugh...you have to register.

JasperDog94
05-25-2006, 03:08 PM
You need to cut and past please.

AggieJohn
05-25-2006, 03:16 PM
sampson can't recruit off campus or phone call apparently, not clear if IU will fire him because of this

Adidas410s
05-25-2006, 03:17 PM
The NCAA on Thursday banned Indiana coach Kelvin Sampson from calling recruits and visiting them off-campus, ruling he deliberately broke NCAA rules by making extra phone calls to potential players while coaching Oklahoma.

The decision, announced by the Committee on Infractions, also requires Indiana to adopt the restrictions Oklahoma placed on Sampson, where he coached before Indiana hired him earlier this year.

"This case is a result of the former head coach's complete disregard for NCAA guidelines for proper telephone contacts with recruits," infractions committee chairman Thomas Yeager said in a written statement. "The former head coach created and encouraged an atmosphere among his staff of deliberate noncompliance, rationalizing the violations as being a result of 'prioritizing' rules."

The contract Sampson signed with Indiana on April 20 says the school "may take further action, up to and including termination" if the NCAA "imposes more significant penalties or sanctions than the University of Oklahoma's self-imposed sanctions."

It was not immediately clear if the Hoosiers would fire Sampson, who was in Kuwait and unavailable for comment. A message was left on the cell phone of Michael Glazier, Sampson's attorney.

It was also not clear whether the Hoosiers would face a scholarship loss, one of the sanctions Oklahoma imposed.

Indiana officials were expected to release a written statement later Thursday.

"Obviously, we anticipated some type of sanction, and this one seems to fit these minor infractions," Indiana trustee Patrick Shoulders said.

Indiana hired Sampson in March amid an investigation into 577 extra phone calls Sampson and Sooners assistant coaches made to 17 recruits from 2000 and 2004. The calls violated NCAA restrictions, and the infractions committee determined Sampson made 233 of them.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma escaped major sanctions. The infractions committee extended the university's self-imposed probation for an additional 11 months and issued a public reprimand and censure but otherwise accepted Oklahoma's self-imposed sanctions, which included reductions in scholarships, recruiting calls and trips and visits to the school by prospective recruits.

The infractions committee instituted a two-year probation ending on May 24, 2008. The university's self-imposed probation was to end on June 30, 2007.

The university was able to avoid a severe "lack of institutional control" finding that could have resulted in a ban from postseason play. NCAA enforcement staff had recommended such a finding but the infractions committee instead found Oklahoma guilty of a lesser "failure in monitoring" finding.

The Committee on Infractions strayed from the enforcement staff's recommendation, saying "though seriously flawed, a system for monitoring the phone calls did exist."

In an infractions report, the committee outlined how Oklahoma's coaches met on Sunday nights to review their recruiting calls and then recorded them on forms different than those supplied by the compliance office and filed them in a cabinet in the basketball office instead of turning them in.

The committee noted that the logs were never cross-checked against institutional phone records and "the coaches were taken at their word when even a cursory review of men's basketball office, cell phone and calling card bills would have revealed the myriad of impermissible calls being made by multiple coaches over a period of years."

Former Oklahoma assistant Ray Lopes, who last month was given a three-year "show cause" penalty requiring him to appear before the infractions committee before seeking employment with another NCAA school because of violations while he was the head coach at Fresno State, received a second "show cause" order to run concurrently.

The NCAA accepted penalties Washington imposed against former Oklahoma assistant Jim Shaw, who made 107 of the calls.

Former assistant Bob Hoffman, who was not retained by new Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel, made only 28 calls after joining the staff in 2004 and the infractions committee decided not to keep an individual record of his violations.

In response to the NCAA inquiry, Oklahoma has added compliance staff and started a new telephone monitoring system.

The Committee on Infractions also found Oklahoma guilty of nine secondary violations by the men's basketball program, two by the men's gymnastics team and two by the softball team.

Oklahoma's last major infraction came in December 1988, when the NCAA determined the football program broke recruiting rules and provided extra benefits. There were also findings of unethical conduct and the institutional control violation.

Macarthur
05-25-2006, 04:46 PM
I think they should do more of this. It's not right that a coach breaks the rules and the school is the only one to suffer long after he's gone somewhere else make an insaine salary.

lepfan
05-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
You need to cut and past please.

I tried....but it would not let me. Soooo, I e-mailed the article to my hotmail account and was going to cut and paste from there...but then my hotmail account was "down for maintenance"...I could not win for losing while trying to get this thing posted!:mad:

LH Panther Mom
05-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I think they should do more of this. It's not right that a coach breaks the rules and the school is the only one to suffer long after he's gone somewhere else make an insaine salary.
:clap: :clap: :clap: