PDA

View Full Version : the greatest guitar players

IHS Fan
05-25-2006, 02:28 PM
i've seen threads on just about everything else this off season so lets try this. other than stevie ray vaughn who do you think is the best guitar player in any musical genre?
mine is alvin lee of ten years after.

pirate44
05-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Brad paisley is the next Chet Atkins. ive seen him live and he is amazing.

44INAROW
05-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Alvin Lee is good and so is Leslie West (Mountain) Mississippi Queen......... That guy can "get down with the program" :)

piratebg
05-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Eric Clapton
BB King
Kirk Hammit
Slash
Gary Hoey

turbostud
05-25-2006, 02:35 PM
The late great Randy Rhoads. The Day the Music Died.

pirate4state
05-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Eric Clapton
BB King
Kirk Hammit
Slash
Gary Hoey

Jason Newstead is good too. :thumbsup: Of course, Jimi Hendrix and Carlos Santana! :thumbsup:

So many....

BTEXDAD
05-25-2006, 02:37 PM
keith richards from the Stones was really good 15 and more years ago.
Jimmy Hendrix could make a guitar talk.
The bright lights kind of took down both of them although Richards is still around, at least as of this writing. See below.

Stones fans gather at Richards' hospital
Guitarist hospitalized after falling from tree

Sunday, April 30, 2006; Posted: 3:59 p.m. EDT (19:59 GMT)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- Fans gathered outside a hospital Sunday where Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards was reportedly being treated for a mild concussion he suffered after falling out of a palm tree while vacationing in Fiji.

Richards, 62, was injured earlier this week and flown to a New Zealand hospital for treatment, band spokeswoman Fran Curtis said in a statement Saturday.

"Following treatment locally and as a precautionary measure, he flew to a hospital accompanied by his wife, Patti, for observation," Curtis said.

The statement did not elaborate on Richards' condition or explain how he was injured.

According to New Zealand's Sunday Star-Times, Richards fell out of a coconut tree and suffered a serious headache, but he still had the energy to jump on a Jet Ski -- and get into another accident.

The paper provided no details on the Jet Ski crash, but quoted Suva Private Hospital spokesman Dr. Uzzel Kanti Dhar as saying that Richards was admitted to a hospital in the Fijian capital on Thursday last week, the same day he plunged from the palm tree.

turbostud
05-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Jonny Lang

Adidas410s
05-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
Brad paisley is the next Chet Atkins. ive seen him live and he is amazing.

He is a very impressive player indeed...arguably the best in country music today.

turbostud
05-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Jason Newstead is good too. :thumbsup: Of course, Jimi Hendrix and Carlos Santana! :thumbsup:

So many....

Newsted plays bass but if we are going to talk about bass players Cliff Burton is the best ever.

piratebg
05-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Newsted plays bass but if we are going to talk about bass players Cliff Burton is the best ever.

The boys of Metallica are great, but don't forget about Flea. He is just crazy.

turbostud
05-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Dimebag Darrell. Why do the great ones always have to die? Is that a prerequisite to becoming a great guitar player?

pirate4state
05-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Newsted plays bass but if we are going to talk about bass players Cliff Burton is the best ever. Isnt' that a guitar?? :confused: I could be opening up a huge can of worms, but what's the difference?? Really? :cool: :D

pirate4state
05-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Dimebag Darrell. Why do the great ones always have to die? Is that a prerequisite to becoming a great guitar player? Dude, he was the shizznit!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

piratebg
05-25-2006, 02:46 PM
You guys might think me a little crazy, but have ya'll ever heard Peter Frampton? Not bad.

turbostud
05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Isnt' that a guitar?? :confused: I could be opening up a huge can of worms, but what's the difference?? Really? :cool: :D
Yes it is, the difference is two strings unless you are Les Claypool. He plays a 6 string bass as if it were a guitar. :D

Bullaholic
05-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Along with many already named:

Brian May
Mark Knopfler
Segovia

piratebg
05-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Esteban :thumbsup:

Bullaholic
05-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Esteban :thumbsup:

"Zorro" sans-mask of the info-mercial fame? :D

piratebg
05-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
"Zorro" sans-mask of the info-mercial fame? :D

That's him. I want a hat just like his. :D

pirate4state
05-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Yes it is, the difference is two strings unless you are Les Claypool. He plays a 6 string bass as if it were a guitar. :D O-K-A-Y ... :D :tongue: ;)

turbostud
05-25-2006, 03:00 PM
O-K-A-Y ... :D :tongue: ;)
LOL.

Old Green
05-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Albert Collins. He can make a guitar talk.
B.B. King
Buddy Guy

cdlvj
05-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Johnny Winter

Used to play at Swiss Alps 35+ years ago.

Understand that they are re-opening the place.

Bullaholic
05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by cdlvj
Johnny Winter

Didn't he have long, white hair?

DaHop72
05-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Didn't he have long, white hair?
Yes, the Edgar Winter Band

cdlvj
05-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Yep, played with a band called the Traits.
Roy Head was with them also for a time.

B J Thomas sang with the Triumphs in mid 60's.

Snyder_TigerFan
05-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Steve Via. He was pretty amazing with the guitar.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-25-2006, 03:46 PM
In addition to the aforementioned, I've got a very underrated one: John Mayer.

Yeah, he's poppy and mainstream and all those other things, but dude can play. I went to a concert and in the middle of one song he just started jamming for 20 minutes. Incredible.

Download some of his blues band, John Mayer Trio, and you'll understand.

pero chato
05-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Clapton
Eddie Van Halen
Phil Keaggy
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Chris Duarte (great in concert)
Jeff Beck
Jimmy Page
and all the others mentioned

Sweetwater Red
Alex Winters and Keanu Reeves...
Hands down...

IHS Fan
another old great is bill bartlett of ram jam

piratebg
05-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Alex Winters and Keanu Reeves...
Hands down...

This was going through my mind when I first saw this thread. :D

WILD STALLLIONS RULE!!!

Bullaholic
05-25-2006, 03:55 PM
ZZ Top, in their own little "niche".

Adidas410s
05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
In addition to the aforementioned, I've got a very underrated one: John Mayer.

Yeah, he's poppy and mainstream and all those other things, but dude can play. I went to a concert and in the middle of one song he just started jamming for 20 minutes. Incredible.

Download some of his blues band, John Mayer Trio, and you'll understand.

I don't really think of John Mayer as that mainstream. His last major album has a BIG jazzy/blues feel to it. He just writes what he wants...and sometimes it gets on the radio.

Oh and yes that guy is a straight baller on the guitar! Ask a lot of younger players these days and they will all tell you that there are chords...and then there are "John Mayer chords." The things he can do on a guitar...AMAZING!!! :)

SintonFan
05-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
Clapton
Eddie Van Halen
Phil Keaggy
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Chris Duarte (great in concert)
Jeff Beck
Jimmy Page
and all the others mentioned
Joe Satriani!
Surfin with the Alien!
Dude:thumbsup:

Adidas410s
05-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Tim Reynolds - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds...Live @ Luther College. Just listen to it...

Shane Barnard - first person I have ever seen triple and quadruple strum (read sixlet's and 32nd notes) at very fast tempos.

John Mayer - read my reasons above

For a "mainstream" guy I would take Keith Urban these days. Exceptionally talented at creating very "involved" grooves that never seem like mindless playing where the guy is just throwing out a bunch of notes without a lot of flow to them.

I think this discussion is very "generational" in that a lot of the best players now are on acoustic guitars as opposed to 20-30 years ago when they were on electric guitars.

pero chato
05-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Tim Reynolds - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds...Live @ Luther College. Just listen to it...

Shane Barnard - first person I have ever seen triple and quadruple strum (read sixlet's and 32nd notes) at very fast tempos.

John Mayer - read my reasons above

For a "mainstream" guy I would take Keith Urban these days. Exceptionally talented at creating very "involved" grooves that never seem like mindless playing where the guy is just throwing out a bunch of notes without a lot of flow to them.

I think this discussion is very "generational" in that a lot of the best players now are on acoustic guitars as opposed to 20-30 years ago when they were on electric guitars.

I agree. Your post reminded me of an older acoustic player- Leo Kottke. Truly one of the best and probably influenced the younger guys of today.

slpybear the bullfan
05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Sorry addidas... but the Keith Urban comment just about made me barf up a hairball...

I agree with all the names mentioned so far, (except Urban ;) ).

I will add one more...

Texas own Eric Johnson. Some of the best "tone" you will ever hear out of a strat.

Macarthur
05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
The conversation starts and ends with Jimmy Page, IMO. Probably the most gifted, innovative and influential guitarists ever. IMO, of course. ;)

pirate44
05-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Sorry addidas... but the Keith Urban comment just about made me barf up a hairball...

I agree with all the names mentioned so far, (except Urban ;) ).

I will add one more...

Texas own Eric Johnson. Some of the best "tone" you will ever hear out of a strat.
i forgot about Eric Johnson
ya gotta love Cliffs of Dover

44INAROW
05-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by cdlvj
Johnny Winter

I used to go there...... probably 1972 and 1973 - oh the flood of memories :) ;) :p

Pmoney
05-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Slash

but the Greatest is DIMEBAG DARRELL(R.I.P.)

PPHSfan
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Studio Pickers

Brent Mason and Dan Huff

Country Pickers

Jimmy Olander
Brad Paisley
Vince Gill
Steve Wariner
Keith Urban + a few more that I will remember later.

Rock and Roll

Mark Knopler
David Gilmore
Eddie Van Halen
Carlos Santana.....and a whole bunch more.

formermbcouns
05-25-2006, 06:21 PM
jimmy page, eric clapton

Gobbler Fan
05-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Hendrix,Clapton,Robert Johnson,Chuck Berry,BB King,Stevie Ray Vaughn,Jimmy Page,Kurt Kobain, Jerry Garcia,Jeff Beck,Carlos Santana,Johnny Ramone,The Edge of U2,Buddy Guy,Bo Diddley,Frank Zappa,Joe Perry,Eddie Van Halen,Neil Young,Randy Rhoades,Angus Young,Steve Vai,Joe Satriani,Billy Gibbon's,Joe Walsh

The list could be endless. My fav. concert Ive ever been too was the Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival 2004 in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas a 3 day event all I can say is it will never be matched for a Gutiar enthusiast.

Clapton
BB King
Buddy Guy
Eric Johnson
Robert Cray
Santana
ZZ Top
Joe Walsh
Johnny Lang
John Mayer
JJ Cale
Jimmie Vaughn
Robert Lockwood
Joe Perry
Steve Vai
Vince Gill
James Taylor
John McLaughlin
Doyle Bramhill
Robert Randolf
David Hildago to name a few.

The best Moment was watching a young John Mayer standing on the side of the stage watching in awe as Eric Clapton ,BB king , Buddy Guy and Jimmie Vaughn took turns playing blues solo's and then the expression on his face as Eric Clapton motioned for him to join .He was out of his league but you could tell he was in guitar heaven.
:thumbsup:

turbostud
05-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Angus Young

District303aPastPlayer
05-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Dave Matthews :)

turbostud
05-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Tony Iommi
John Frusciante
David Gilmour
Robby Krieger

Adidas410s
05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Dave Matthews :)

lol...that's funny. He is by far the least talented person in his own band. Any good guitar playing that you hear on his albums/concerts is done by Tim Reynolds.

STANG RED
05-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Many of you are too young to remember, but in the late 60s & 70s, two of the best guitar pickers around were Roy Clark and Glenn Campbell. Each on his own could tear a guitar up, but on occasions they would play together, it was really something awesome to see and hear. I saw both of them play with Chet Atkins on several occasions, and Chet had nothing on either one of them.

DaHop72
05-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Many of you are too young to remember, but in the late 60s & 70s, two of the best guitar pickers around were Roy Clark and Glenn Campbell. Each on his own could tear a guitar up, but on occasions they would play together, it was really something awesome to see and hear. I saw both of them play with Chet Atkins on several occasions, and Chet had nothing on either one of them. You're right Stang about Roy Clark, I saw him in Branson and that man can play nearly any instrument in a band, unbeliveable.

spiveyrat
05-26-2006, 08:48 AM
The late great Randy Rhoads. The Day the Music Died.

Amen!

zeus63
05-26-2006, 09:26 AM
MArkie Mark!! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Seriously, just kidding)

zeus63
05-26-2006, 09:32 AM
No, really I was just kidding.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-26-2006, 10:38 AM
John Anderson, Barons, Texas Pride, Chance, and Night Shift.

Bull's-eye
05-26-2006, 10:59 AM
How about Navasota's own D. Phillips, he played for the legendary George Jones.

Gobbla2001
05-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Monty Montgommery... if you ever get a chance to check him out... may not dig his words or his chords, but my lord he can tear it up on that acoustic...

He did an acoustic "Little Wing" and wow it is amazing...

SRV of course, he could sling it...