PDA

View Full Version : BC"s Brett Day

cardtilldeath
05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
'Day'nger at the bottom

BC's designated-hitter finds a way to get on base

Jason Rollinson
The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — The top-ranked Bridge City Cardinals squandered away a 6-1 lead last Thursday in Game One of the Regional Quarterfinal Series with Barbers Hill as the Eagles quickly knotted the game at 6-6 on a forgetful second inning.

But that night, an unlikely hero came through in the clutch and put the Cards back on top 9-6 with a three-run blast to opposite field, the first of his high school career.

"I was down in the count, looking for a curveball when I got one," designated hitter Brett Day commented about his HR in Game One against Barbers Hill. "I just wanted to hit it good and ended up going opposite field on it. (Derrick) Coleman kept telling me when he was on deck to expect it and I did."

Day may only stand five-feet, four-inches tall, but the senior packs a bat that has shown the ability to get on base by either pulling a hard single to right, slapping a double into left or drawing a four-pitch walk and frustrating the opposing pitcher.

His success in the nine-hole of the lineup is a big reason why the BC bats are solid top to bottom, and Day has no problem getting on base for the big bats to bring him in.

"I worked really hard all summer long, usually 1 to 2 hours every Wednesday at The Zone (with former BC coach Sam Moore)," said Day. "I also spent some time on the field on the weekends with my dad hitting balls. It is all to achieve the ultimate goal-- winning the state championship."

"Brett really came through with the clutch hit when we needed it (Thursday)," said Bryant. "He has a good, confident attitude and doesn't back down from good pitching. It's nice to have clutch hitting come from the bottom of the lineup and is a big plus when the No. 9 guy gets on base for the top of the lineup to drive him home."

Day, who was the starting left guard in front of quarterback Johnny Dishon for the past two years on the playoff-bound varsity football team, sees the urgency for himself and the other seniors on the team to getting back to Austin and improving on last year's state semifinal defeat by Carthage.

"Going to state last year was the experience of a lifetime,” said Day. "It's a shame that things didn't work out last season, but we've got another shot at it. It was great to play at Disch-Falk Field and I'm hoping to play at Dell Diamond (in Round Rock) this year. If we can hit the ball, play solid defense and capitalize on Columbus' mistakes, we'll be okay."

Day believes the Cardinals have as good of a shot as any this season.

"This is our last chance to win state," said Day. "I think that we're solid in all facets of the game. The hitters

really stepped it up in the last game (with four home runs)."

The Cards will have to knock off Columbus for a second time in three-straight meetings if they are going to have any chance of battling either Lufkin Hudson or Cameron Yoe for the state tournament berth.

BC will play its first one-game playoff series since losing to the Colorado County Cardinals (Columbus) in the area round of 2004 after heavy rains forced the original 3-game series to be converted to just one.

"We know a little bit about having our backs to the wall with Saturday's Game Three (8-2 win at Baytown Lee High School)," said Day. "So the one-game playoff is no surprise to us."