PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Bomber's

cardtilldeath
05-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Bridge City's beaten bombers

By CHRISTOPHER DABE, THE ENTERPRISE
05/25/2006

BRIDGE CITY - Johnny Dishon rounded third base and turned toward home as his Bridge City teammates left the dugout.

Once Dishon touched the plate during a recent UIL playoff game, he was ready for the playful punches and slaps across the head that come with every home run hit by the Cardinals.

"We hate it," Dishon said of the ritual faux-beating. "You get hit everywhere. You get hit in the ribs and you get your helmet knocked off."

Sophomore Casey Jackson said some punches this season left bruises on his back and ribs. Senior Kevin Angelle said he was hit in the face sometime last season.

"It really hurt," Angelle said, smiling at the memory.

Bridge City has 13 home runs in its five playoff games, and the players hope for more chances to slap each other around during a single-game Class 3A regional semifinal tonight.

Bridge City (30-5) plays Columbus at 7:30 p.m. at Deer Park High School. The winner will play Cameron Yoe or Lufkin Hudson next week.

The Cardinals had 24 home runs in their first 30 games. They have since belted 2.8 per game.
"Those home runs are not just long pop ups," Bridge City coach Billy Bryant said. "A lot of the home runs are well-hit balls."

The Cardinals smacked nine home runs in the first three playoff games but were limited to just two hits - neither a homer - in their second playoff game against Barbers Hill. Bridge City responded with four home runs, two by Jackson, in the series-clincher Saturday.

Jackson has team-highs with four home runs in the playoffs and 10 overall. Three of Dishon's nine have been in the playoffs.

Angelle has six home runs this season, including a grand slam in a second-round game against Kirbyville.

Also in the playoffs, Derrick Coleman and Cody Sparks both have two homers and Brett Day hit the only one he has this season.

"We've been hitting better pitches," Jackson said. "That's really helped us."

Continuing the home run binge will not be easy for the Cardinals against Columbus pitcher Robert Janak, set to pitch against Bridge City in the playoffs for a third year in a row. Janak and Angelle, Bridge City's left-handed ace, have split a pair of decisions over the last two years.

A home run for the Cardinals might go a long way with Angelle on the mound.

"I don't know if it makes me relax more, but it makes me feel better to know I have a lead," said Angelle, who is 10-1 with a 1.99 earned-run average in 63 1/3 innings. "It gives me something to work with when I go out there."

Bryant said the timing of his players at the plate improved through the season. He also said the ball travels farther as the temperature rises.

"We started hitting more home runs at the same time last year," said Bryant, whose team reached the state semifinal round a year ago.

Making another trip to the state tournament with his teammates is something Dishon wants, even if it means taking another beating.

"We expect this to keep going on," Dishon said.

spiveyrat
05-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Go BC!!! :clap: Bring home that title to SE Texas!

pirate4state
05-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Impressive! :clap: Good Luck to both squads!