PDA

View Full Version : Gig 'em

pirate44
05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20060523/capt.sge.urw75.230506203056.photo00.photo.default-512x378.jpg

AggieJohn
05-25-2006, 12:59 PM
is that a very pale al gore

pirate44
05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
is that a very pale al gore
yeah, i know..im in it for the laughs

pirate4state
05-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20060523/capt.sge.urw75.230506203056.photo00.photo.default-512x378.jpg :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Scary!!

BreckTxLonghorn
05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20060523/capt.sge.urw75.230506203056.photo00.photo.default-512x378.jpg

Guys...I'm being super serial...

EXCELSIOR!

Buccaneer
05-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Did you recently see Al on Saturday Night Live? He was hilarious! He showed signs of having a personality!

Bullaholic
05-25-2006, 01:35 PM
I like this "Hook Em'" pic a lot better-----:D

http://www.pcpros-tx.com/avril.jpg

JasperDog94
05-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
is that a very pale al gore They don't let him out much anymore.;)

piratebg
05-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Now that's a lot easier on the eyes. Nothing like a Canadian Longhorn.....

zeus63
05-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Guys...I'm being super serial...

EXCELSIOR!

He's giving the thumbs up for killing ManBearPig!! Way to go Al!!!

Adidas410s
05-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

I wanna get a tattoo on the inside of my wrist too!!! Classy stuff right there!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

injuredinmelee
05-25-2006, 05:27 PM
yall dont be dogging Al. He invented the very thing we are all using right now....

Cameron Crazy
05-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I wanna get a tattoo on the inside of my wrist too!!! Classy stuff right there!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yeah you could be an emo guy!:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
yall dont be dogging Al. He invented the very thing we are all using right now....

For the record, Al Gore never said that he invented the internet. The internet as we know it today was previously used only by the military, and Gore was very influential in having this technology shared with the public. But of course, I realize that people like you like to talk crap about things that they don't actually know about.

LH Panther Mom
05-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
For the record, Al Gore never said that he invented the internet.

You're right. He did say in a 1999 interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, that while serving in Congress he "took the initiative in creating the Internet." :rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You're right. He did say in a 1999 interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, that while serving in Congress he "took the initiative in creating the Internet." :rolleyes: The internet had been around for a long time before Al Gore even said that, the only initiative that Gore took was pushing it to be available to all citizens worldwide, but of course, you can take what he said however you want, it doesn't mean that you are right.

District303aPastPlayer
05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
The internet had been around for a long time before Al Gore even said that, the only initiative that Gore took was pushing it to be available to all citizens worldwide, but of course, you can take what he said however you want, it doesn't mean that you are right.

nor does it make you right in your arguement...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
nor does it make you right in your arguement...
I've never been wrong in my life. I thought I was wrong once, but I was only mistaken.

LH Panther Mom
05-25-2006, 08:30 PM
The internet had been around for a long time before Al Gore even said that, the only initiative that Gore took was pushing it to be available to all citizens worldwide, but of course, you can take what he said however you want, it doesn't mean that you are right.
I didn't care to be right or wrong.....just responding with WHAT he said, without any take on it.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I didn't care to be right or wrong.....just responding with WHAT he said, without any take on it.
Just like a typical woman, always trying to get the last word. :rolleyes: You know I love ya, Mom.

LH Panther Mom
05-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Just like a typical woman, always trying to get the last word. :rolleyes: You know I love ya, Mom.
:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

SintonFan
05-25-2006, 11:16 PM
For the record, Al Gore never said that he invented the internet. The internet as we know it today was previously used only by the military, and Gore was very influential in having this technology shared with the public. But of course, I realize that people like you like to talk crap about things that they don't actually know about.
ROFL.
He said it and you just might be mistaken in your defense. BTW and untill then.... Gig EM.:D

SintonFan
05-25-2006, 11:27 PM
This is from CNN.com:
[QUOTE]Transcript: Vice President Gore on CNN's 'Late Edition'

March 9, 1999
Web posted at: 5:06 p.m. EST (2206 GMT)

CNN'S WOLF BLITZER: Mr. Vice President, thanks for joining us on Late Edition.

VICE PRESIDENT AL GORE: Glad to do it.

BLITZER: You're going to be going to Iowa and New Hampshire in the coming days. Less than a year from now, we probably will know who the Democratic nominee is, who the Republican nominee is for the president. Why do you want to be president?

GORE: Well, Wolf, I haven't formally announced my candidacy yet, but when I do, I will lay out a vision of what I want to see in this country in the 21st century. And the campaign won't be about me, it'll be about the American people, and I hope they'll choose that vision of a nation with strong families and livable communities, in harmony with all of our diversity and fully prepared to lead the world.

BLITZER: You've created an exploratory committee, though. When do you make the formal announcement? It's not going to be...

GORE: Later this year.

BLITZER: It's not going to be a surprise.

GORE: Well, perhaps not. But it won't come until later this year.

BLITZER: When?

GORE: Haven't picked a date.

BLITZER: Are you looking at some precedents, some previous examples? When Vice President Bush, for example, made his announcement?

GORE: No, I won't base it on previous campaigns, I'll just look at see what seems like the right time.

BLITZER: Some people have suggested that you will try to emerge from Bill Clinton's shadow during the course of the coming year. Others say you don't want to emerge from his shadow. The question to you is, do you want to emerge from the president's shadow?

GORE: Well, I don't feel like I'm in his shadow. I think the job of vice president is very different and very distinct from the job of president. And for the last 6 years-plus, I've concentrated on doing the best job I can as vice president to help he be the best president he can be. And I've really enjoyed that. It's been a great privilege and honor, but as a presidential candidate -- when I become one -- I will be in a very different relationship to the American people. And at that time, I'll be speaking about my vision for what I want to see in this country in the 21st century.

And I'm looking forward to that. I'm very excited about the chance.

BLITZER: And the Al GORE vision will not be necessarily completely the same as the Bill Clinton?

GORE: Well, no, because the challenges we face in the future are different from the ones we face in the past. I have been very much involved in shaping our current economic policies, and I feel as if I know a great deal about how to keep our prosperity going.

We have a governing coalition willing to support the ideas that work for the American people. I have also participated in shaping our environmental and education and crime fighting policies and other initiatives, but the challenges are going to be brand new.

You know, the 21st century is not only the beginning of a new millennium, it's the beginning of an entirely new era in human history and we have to take new approaches.

BLITZER: I want to get to some of the substance of domestic and international issues in a minute, but let's just wrap up a little bit of the politics right now.

Why should Democrats, looking at the Democratic nomination process, support you instead of Bill Bradley, a friend of yours, a former colleague in the Senate? What do you have to bring to this that he doesn't necessarily bring to this process?

GORE: Well, I will be offering -- I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be.

But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.
lol Not much difference in taking intiative and actually doing it if your gonna be scrutinized running for President. lol
There's more... here's the
link (http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/index.html).
I'll find audio if you want fren.:D :eek:
I know I'm not 'mistaken'. lol

SintonFan
05-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Here's one audio link:
Al Gore in his own words lol! (http://resources.bravenet.com/audio_clips/sound_effects/al_gore_-_al_gore_speech_saying_he_invented_the_internet/listen/)
Another link in case you don't believe me.
2nd from the bottom and in his own words (http://www.freeaudioclips.com/)
Please don't give us this argument saying he "didn't mean" this, unless you think we are too stupid to hear it with our own ears.:hand:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-26-2006, 03:54 PM
And this is coming from a person who said that Micheal Moore took his ideas on Fahrenheit 9/11 out of context.

Blastoderm55
05-26-2006, 04:07 PM
He made public the use of TCP/IP. Yes, he pretty much invented the internet the public knows.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
He made public the use of TCP/IP. Yes, he pretty much invented the internet the public knows.
Wow, that idea sure shut some people up. Good job. :clap:

TheDOCTORdre
05-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Wow, that idea sure shut some people up. Good job. :clap:
good thing blastoderm was able to bail you out, but nonetheless creating something and making something public are two different things.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
good thing blastoderm was able to bail you out, but nonetheless creating something and making something public are two different things.
Actually, if you would read my previous posts, it said the exact same thing, he was just more blunt about it.

TheDOCTORdre
05-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Actually, if you would read my previous posts, it said the exact same thing, he was just more blunt about it.
i did read your previous posts, but all i'm saying is if blastoderm hadnt come along no one would have stopped talking

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-28-2006, 09:22 PM
i did read your previous posts, but all i'm saying is if blastoderm hadnt come along no one would have stopped talking

So how is he bailing me out? I'm still confused...

TheDOCTORdre
05-28-2006, 09:25 PM
So how is he bailing me out? I'm still confused...
by having someone reinforce what you said it gave what you said credibility, I apologize bailing out was the improper word to use

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, if SintonFan would have spent his time researching the truth and not trying to solidify his incorrect interpretation of what Al Gore said, this would not be a discussion.

LH Panther Mom
05-28-2006, 10:54 PM
no one would have stopped talking
:doh: Are ya'll still talking about this? I thought it was dead days ago. :p

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 04:05 AM
Well, if SintonFan would have spent his time researching the truth and not trying to solidify his incorrect interpretation of what Al Gore said, this would not be a discussion.
Stop it! You're tickling me...:p
Here's an email sent by Vint Serf and Bob Kahn(together both considered the father's of the internet):
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:43:58 -0400
To: Declan McCullaugh <declan@well.com>, farber@cis.upenn.edu
Cc: rkahn@cnri.reston.va.us
Subject: Al Gore and the Internet

Dave and Declan,

I am taking the liberty of sending to you both a brief
summary of Al Gore's Internet involvement, prepared by
Bob Kahn and me. As you know, there have been a seemingly
unending series of jokes chiding the vice president for
his assertion that he "took the initiative in creating
the Internet."

Bob and I believe that the vice president deserves significant
credit for his early recognition of the importance of what has
become the Internet.

I thought you might find this short summary of sufficient
interest to share it with Politech and the IP lists, respectively.

================================================== ============

Al Gore and the Internet

By Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf
Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the
Internet and to promote and support its development.

No one person or even small group of persons exclusively "invented" the
Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among
people in government and the university community. But as the two people
who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the
Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a
Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to
our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time.

Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his
role. He said: "During my service in the United States Congress I took the
initiative in creating the Internet." We don't think, as some people have
argued, that Gore intended to claim he "invented" the Internet. Moreover,
there is no question in our minds that while serving as Senator, Gore's
initiatives had a significant and beneficial effect on the still-evolving
Internet. The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and
promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it
is timely to offer our perspective.

As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed
telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the
improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official
to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact
than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship. Though easily
forgotten, now, at the time this was an unproven and controversial
concept. Our work on the Internet started in 1973 and was based on even
earlier work that took place in the mid-late 1960s. But the Internet, as we
know it today, was not deployed until 1983. When the Internet was still in
the early stages of its deployment, Congressman Gore provided intellectual
leadership by helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high
speed computing and communication. As an example, he sponsored hearings on
how advanced technologies might be put to use in areas like coordinating
the response of government agencies t!
o !
!
!
natu
ral disasters and other crises.

As a Senator in the 1980s Gore urged government agencies to consolidate
what at the time were several dozen different and unconnected networks into
an "Interagency Network." Working in a bi-partisan manner with officials
in Ronald Reagan and George Bush's administrations, Gore secured the
passage of the High Performance Computing and Communications Act in
1991. This "Gore Act" supported the National Research and Education
Network (NREN) initiative that became one of the major vehicles for the
spread of the Internet beyond the field of computer science.

As Vice President Gore promoted building the Internet both up and out, as
well as releasing the Internet from the control of the government agencies
that spawned it. He served as the major administration proponent for
continued investment in advanced computing and networking and private
sector initiatives such as Net Day. He was and is a strong proponent of
extending access to the network to schools and libraries. Today,
approximately 95% of our nation's schools are on the Internet. Gore
provided much-needed political support for the speedy privatization of the
Internet when the time arrived for it to become a commercially-driven
operation.

There are many factors that have contributed to the Internet's rapid growth
since the later 1980s, not the least of which has been political support
for its privatization and continued support for research in advanced
networking technology. No one in public life has been more intellectually
engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the
Vice President. Gore has been a clear champion of this effort, both in the
councils of government and with the public at large.

The Vice President deserves credit for his early recognition of the value
of high speed computing and communication and for his long-term and
consistent articulation of the potential value of the Internet to American
citizens and industry and, indeed, to the rest of the world.

Version 1.2
Word count: 709

================================================== ===============
WorldCom
22001 Loudoun County Parkway
Building F2, Room 4115, ATTN: Vint Cerf
Ashburn, VA 20147
Telephone (703) 886-1690
FAX (703) 886-0047
While it makes a point that Al Gore was supportive of the creation, nowhere does it give him credit for actually taking the intitiative in inventing the internet.
source link (http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200009/msg00052.html)

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 04:19 AM
Here's another email from Vint and Bob(again those who are given credit for creating or being the major forces for our modern day internet):
source link (http://web.archive.org/web/20000125065813/http://www.mids.org/mn/904/vcerf.html)
Vint Cerf responded to MSNBC's questions about the Net's origins with this e-mail:
VP Gore was the first or surely among the first of the members of Congress to become a strong supporter of advanced networking while he served as Senator. As far back as 1986, he was holding hearings on this subject (supercomputing, fiber networks...) and asking about their promise and what could be done to realize them. Bob Kahn, with whom I worked to develop the Internet design in 1973, participated in several hearings held by then-Senator Gore and I recall that Bob introduced the term ``information infrastructure'' in one hearing in 1986. It was clear that as a Senator and now as Vice President, Gore has made it a point to be as well-informed as possible on technology and issues that surround it.

As Senator, VP Gore was highly supportive of the research community's efforts to explore new networking capabilities and to extend access to supercomputers by way of NSFNET and its successors, the High Performance Computing and Communication program (which included the National Research and Education Network initiative), and as Vice President, he has been very responsive to recommendations made, for example, by the President's Information Technology Advisory Committee that endorsed additional research funding for next generation fundamental research in software and related topics. If you look at the last 30-35 years of network development, you'll find many people who have made major contributions without which the Internet would not be the vibrant, growing and exciting thing it is today. The creation of a new information infrastructure requires the willing efforts of thousands if not millions of participants and we've seen leadership from many quarters, all of it needed, to move the Internet towards increased availability and utility around the world.

While it is not accurate to say that VP Gore invented Internet, he has played a powerful role in policy terms that has supported its continued growth and application, for which we should be thankful.

We're fortunate to have senior level members of Congress and the Administration who embrace new technology and have the vision to see how it can be put to work for national and global benefit.
Again nowhere does this give Al Gore credit for what he said("I took the initiative in creating the internet"). You can try and make a point that his words are taken out of context but it's hard to avoid what he said. It comes across as he actually was the inventor, and with him being a politician, he should be aware of what he is saying all the time. How many folks now give him credit for actually inventing the internet? I'd say there are many of those who took this at face value and do give him credit indeed. He should be commended for his support of legislation that helped make it easier for this to be, no doubt, but his words during a presidential campaign should have been greatly scrutinized(as they correctly were.)

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Can you show me where he made public the use of TCP/IP?
I found this brief history of the internet:
source link (http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/)
Who Invented What, and When Did They Invent It?
Although Gore never said that he "invented the Internet," he did say he "took the initiative in creating the Internet." Can that claim be substantiated? As we will see, Gore did indeed take an intellectual and legislative interest in promoting high-speed data networks in the United States, and he did this during the 1980s, at a time long before most members of the public - let alone most politicians - were thinking about such issues.

The Internet Society hosts a monograph called called "A Brief History of the Internet." (See http://www.isoc.org/internet-history/brief.html) The authors include some of the designers of the essential components of how the Internet works today: Barry M. Leiner, Vinton G. Cerf, David D. Clark, Robert E. Kahn, Leonard Kleinrock, Daniel C. Lynch, Jon Postel, Larry G. Roberts, and Stephen Wolff. The paper notes these key milestones in Internet history:

1961: Leonard Kleinrock writes the first paper on packet switched networks.
1962: J.C.R. Licklider of MIT writes a paper describing a globally connected "Galactic Network" of computers.
1966: Larry Roberts proposes the ARPANET to the Defense Department's Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA).
1968: ARPA issues Request for Quotations for the Interface Message Processors (IMPs), which became the first routers.
1969: First IMP is installed at UCLA.
Early 1970s: Universities and defense agencies and contractors begin to connect to ARPANET.
1973: Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf begin research into what eventually becomes IP - the Internet Protocol and its companion, TCP - the Transmission Control Protocol.
1973: Bob Metcalfe develops Ethernet, which had been the subject of his PhD thesis, while working at Xerox.
Early 1980s: The Personal Computer revolution begins.
Mid 1980s: Local Area Networks (LANs) begin to flourish in business and university environments. Campus area networks soon follow.
January 1, 1983: All "old-style" traffic on the ARPANET ceases, as TCP/IP becomes the only protocol used. [Arguably, this is the date of the birth of the Internet as a functioning, practical, production network.]
1985: Dennis Jennings chooses TCP/IP as the protocol for the planned National Science Foundation Network (NSFnet).
1988: NSF sponsors a series of workshops at Harvard on the commercialization and privatization of the Internet.
1988: Kahn et al. write a paper "Towards a National Research Network." According to the Brief History, "This report was influential on then Senator Al Gore, and ushered in high speed networks that laid the networking foundation for the future information superhighway." [Emphasis added.]
While again Gore should be commended for his support and legistation, no one who actually invented anything supports his claim.
If you can blastoderm, find me where he made public the use of TCP/IP and we can go from there.
I find this debate fascinating and will stay away from any politicizing so we can continue it in earnest.

Blastoderm55
05-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Courtesy of Snopes:

Claim: Vice-President Al Gore claimed that he "invented" the Internet.

Origins: Despite the derisive references that continue even today, Al Gore did not claim he "invented" the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way. The "Al Gore said he 'invented' the Internet" put-downs were misleading, out-of-context distortions of something he said during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN's "Late Edition" program on 9 March 1999. When asked to describe what distinguished him from his challenger for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, Gore replied (in part):
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.
Clearly, although Gore's phrasing was clumsy (and perhaps self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the technology that we now know as the Internet. To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. Gore never used the word "invent," and the words "create" and "invent" have distinctly different meanings — the former is used in the sense of "to bring about" or "to bring into existence" while the latter is generally used to signify the first instance of someone's thinking up or implementing an idea. (To those who say the words "create" and "invent" mean exactly the same thing, we have to ask why, then, the media overwhelmingly and consistently cited Gore as having claimed he "invented" the Internet, even though he never used that word, and transcripts of what he actually said were readily available.)

If President Eisenhower had said in the mid-1960s that he, while President, "created" the Interstate Highway System, we would not have seen dozens and dozens of editorials lampooning him for claiming he "invented" the concept of highways or implying that he personally went out and dug ditches across the country to help build the roadway. Everyone would have understood that Ike meant he was a driving force behind the legislation that created the highway system, and this was the very same concept Al Gore was expressing about himself with his Internet statement.

Whether Gore's statement that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet" is justified is a subject of debate. Any statement about the "creation" or "beginning" of the Internet is difficult to evaluate, because the Internet is not a homogenous entity (it's a collection of computers, networks, protocols, standards, and application programs), nor did it all spring into being at once (the components that comprise the Internet were developed in various places at different times and are continuously being modified, improved, and expanded). Despite a spirited defense of Gore's claim by Vint Cerf (often referred to as the "father of the Internet") in which he stated "that as a Senator and now as Vice President, Gore has made it a point to be as well-informed as possible on technology and issues that surround it," many of the components of today's Internet came into being well before Gore's first term in Congress began in 1977.

It is true, though, that Gore was popularizing the term "information superhighway" in the early 1990s (although he did not, as is often claimed by others, coin the phrase himself) when few people outside academia or the computer/defense industries had heard of the Internet, and he sponsored the 1988 National High-Performance Computer Act (which established a national computing plan and helped link universities and libraries via a shared network) and cosponsored the Information Infrastructure and Technology Act of 1992 (which opened the Internet to commercial traffic).

In May 2005, the organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements honored Al Gore with a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the Internet. "He is indeed due some thanks and consideration for his early contributions," said Vint Cerf.

SintonFan
05-29-2006, 10:43 AM
So are you telling me that that legislation made public the use of TCP/IP? Because I don't see it and the article itself doesn't justify his statement, "I took the initiative in creating the internet".
Like I said, he should be commended for his support, but what he said was erroneous.
That article itself mentioned,
Whether Gore's statement that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet" is justified is a subject of debate. and went further with

Any statement about the "creation" or "beginning" of the Internet is difficult to evaluate, because the Internet is not a homogenous entity (it's a collection of computers, networks, protocols, standards, and application programs), nor did it all spring into being at once (the components that comprise the Internet were developed in various places at different times and are continuously being modified, improved, and expanded). Despite a spirited defense of Gore's claim by Vint Cerf (often referred to as the "father of the Internet") in which he stated "that as a Senator and now as Vice President, Gore has made it a point to be as well-informed as possible on technology and issues that surround it," many of the components of today's Internet came into being well before Gore's first term in Congress began in 1977.
It seems to provide more of an arguement against instead of for his statement.