PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

pirate44
05-25-2006, 09:51 AM
i am so offended by all the "Memorial Day Sales". do these places realize what Memorial Day is for? i talked to a co-worker about it and he said that those who died in war, gave their lives so that we can have our capitilist system and have these sales :rolleyes:
i told him, they died so we have the right to burn our flag, but it doesnt mean we should all burn flags on memorial day.

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

Everybody go out and wear a poppy on Memorial day and stay away from the sales.

TheDOCTORdre
05-25-2006, 09:54 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
05-25-2006, 10:02 AM
It truly saddens me to know that we may never have a generation quite like the Greatest Generation.

For the younger ones amongst us, I offer this advice. Any chance that you have to sit down with somebody who grew up in the 30's and 40's, was a part of WWII, and/or has seen the birth of a new nation these last 60 years...take advantage of the opportunity to ask them questions about their lives. Oh the stories you will hear...:)

While there were many people at my last job who would get frustrated when having to work with older people...they were always my favorite customers because you could talk to them, they were happy to have somebody to talk to, and they know how to tell a good story better than anybody else. I always got excited when I would have an elderly man come sit at my desk and he has on a hat or jacket with the insignia of the group that he had served in. All I ever had to do is ask them where/when he served...and then you just let them talk. Oh the stories you will hear...:)

Blastoderm55
05-25-2006, 10:21 AM
What's worse? A day of ridiculous sales, or a day where most of the workforce stays home in remembrance of the heroes of this nation? That's my dilemna. I'm not sure whether or not to open my store Monday. Should we honor them by spending money or by taking a day of paid vacation? Tricky tricky stuff.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-25-2006, 10:25 AM
when ur old like the old people today u be talking how great and easy life was during this time period when we would have good sales on a Memorial day. you be saying those were the greatest times;)

Adidas410s
05-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Should we honor them by spending money

I just don't see how it is honoring them by spending money. I can see that yes it is an expression of the freedoms which they protected...but it's not done in rememberance of them.

pirate44
05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
i think staying home in rememberance of heros would be better. maybe go visit some gravesites or read up on these battles and their heros. educate ourselves on how ordinary people became etraordinary by giving their lives so that we can live the way we do.

Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Blastoderm55
05-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I just don't see how it is honoring them by spending money. I can see that yes it is an expression of the freedoms which they protected...but it's not done in rememberance of them.

I'm not saying the act of doing it is directly honoring them. I'm saying that is how we would choose to spend the day that was created specifically to honor them. Rather than visit a war memorial or VFW, most people will be visiting their local malls.

Bullaholic
05-25-2006, 10:42 AM
It doesn't matter "how" you choose to honor those who have made "the greatest sacrifice" for our nation----it is only important that you take the time to remember them in some way on this National Day of Rememberance.

If you have never attended a funeral service for a veteran or soldier killed in action when the miliatry honor guard performs it's services, you are missing one of the most meaningfull moments you will ever experience, especially when the ceremonially folded American flag draping the coffin of the fallen soldier is presented to a loved one with the words---"On behalf of a grateful nation.............."

pirate44
05-25-2006, 09:26 PM
TTT

turbostud
05-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Here is a history on Memorial Day.

Link (http://www1.va.gov/opa/speceven/memday/history.asp#hist)

SintonFan
05-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
What's worse? A day of ridiculous sales, or a day where most of the workforce stays home in remembrance of the heroes of this nation? That's my dilemna. I'm not sure whether or not to open my store Monday. Should we honor them by spending money or by taking a day of paid vacation? Tricky tricky stuff.
Do you sell Magic? Where????
sorry folks I'm not intending to trivialize Memorial Day. We have some plans to honor all those who paid the ultimate price for us.:)

LH Panther Mom
05-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Our Boy Scout troop will help the VFW put American flags on the graves at the cemetary tomorrow morning. Then on Monday, they will participate in the Memorial Day ceremony with the VFW and the dedication of the new Wall of Honor.

DU_stud04
05-26-2006, 10:46 AM
i like shopping.......