PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Baseball Team

BIGREDFAN2
05-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Anybody know anything about this team?

injuredinmelee
05-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Did they have a team in 1492 when Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue?

44INAROW
05-24-2006, 11:59 AM

injuredinmelee
05-24-2006, 12:00 PM
anyone else ever get in those moods where they just have to be a smart aleck to everyone?

44INAROW
05-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
anyone else ever get in those moods where they just have to be a smart aleck to everyone?

I was going to be a smart a$$ and decided that would not be a nice welcome to the board for BIGREDFAN02 - I was going to say that they were RED and the CARDINALS....... :rolleyes:

Welcome to the board BigRedFan02 (some of us are just bored and in "one of those moods" today)

:) :) :)

BIGREDFAN2
05-24-2006, 12:07 PM
I always like a good sense of humor.

Just wanting to know a little about the team we will be facing Thursday.

Hear they have a great pitcher.

injuredinmelee
05-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Im not much on South Texas baseball but I have heard they are pretty good on the diamond. Werent they picked against alot going into last weeks series?

Brahma73
05-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by BIGREDFAN2

Have seen them play a few times this year, including their win over Hutto on Saturday. They really don't have a "great" anything. They have a lineup of really scrappy guys who just go at you. They play with a lot of confidence and they put the ball in play. Defensively they're average.

Janak is their best pitcher. What he may lack in tools he makes up for in smarts and determination. He's a really cocky kind of bulldog on the mound, the kind of kid that just doesn't give in. Unless BC has a real stopper to throw at them, the Columbus version of the Cardinals should give them all they want.

Columbus was first in 20AAA in a year when the district was not real strong, but I still think their a formidable opponent. Coach Gonzales always seems to have them ready.

Both teams have great fan support, so this should be an exciting event.

HipposGitErDun
05-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Brahma73
Have seen them play a few times this year, including their win over Hutto on Saturday. They really don't have a "great" anything. They have a lineup of really scrappy guys who just go at you. They play with a lot of confidence and they put the ball in play. Defensively they're average.

Janak is their best pitcher. What he may lack in tools he makes up for in smarts and determination. He's a really cocky kind of bulldog on the mound, the kind of kid that just doesn't give in. Unless BC has a real stopper to throw at them, the Columbus version of the Cardinals should give them all they want.

Columbus was first in 20AAA in a year when the district was not real strong, but I still think their a formidable opponent. Coach Gonzales always seems to have them ready.

Both teams have great fan support, so this should be an exciting event.

After seeing all 3 games of the Hutto series I say "what he said"

Scrappy, not spectacular, very cocky,, and everyone in the lineup is capable of putting the ball in play. Average pitching at best, but you would think they were better by looking at the scores from our series. We we pathetic at the plate.

injuredinmelee
05-24-2006, 12:28 PM
my cousins from Hutto will be in town for a few weeks starting saturday. I cant bear to listen to the smack the youngest one that is going to be in 8th grade talks about hutto.

GWOOD
05-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Brahma73
Unless BC has a real stopper to throw at them

Some kid named Angelle?

Originally posted by HipposGetErDun
Average pitching at best, but you would think they were better by looking at the scores from our series. We we pathetic at the plate.

Same thing in district play for Columbus. The three starters often shut down the opponents in district. But other than Bellville, who probably saw Janak each time, they didn't have a tough district schedule.

44INAROW
05-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by BIGREDFAN2

I knew I liked you for a good reason :) Class of 1976 :) :)

XMan
05-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Very good conclusion by brahma73, he didnt get all those degrees by chance. Just wish the mighty Brahmas or brahma nets were still in it. Well, maybe next year.

till then, good luck cards

Cardinals-Are yall going to get a charter for the game, and if you are, will you have to pay for it yourselves this year?

KL3
05-24-2006, 12:55 PM
District 20 was weak this year and really has been for a few years other than Bellville and Columbus.

And yes, BC does have a great pitcher in Angelle who has signed with A&M. Didn't he have like 15 K's vs Columbus last year?

hookandladder
05-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by HipposGitErDun
After seeing all 3 games of the Hutto series I say "what he said"

Scrappy, not spectacular, very cocky,, and everyone in the lineup is capable of putting the ball in play. Average pitching at best, but you would think they were better by looking at the scores from our series. We we pathetic at the plate.

So you were pathetic at the plate, but pitching had nothing to do with it. Sounds like pitching might have had somehing to do with. Average pitching at best , than your team must be a below average hitting team. Pitcher's do not have to throw in the 90's to be and above average pitcher, they must be able to keep batter's off balance.Sounds like that's what Columbus pitcher's did. Good Luck CC.

wos fan1
05-24-2006, 01:33 PM
if anyone has any stats on Columbus please register at www.**********.com and post them.

HipposGitErDun
05-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
So you were pathetic at the plate, but pitching had nothing to do with it. Sounds like pitching might have had somehing to do with. Average pitching at best , than your team must be a below average hitting team. Pitcher's do not have to throw in the 90's to be and above average pitcher, they must be able to keep batter's off balance.Sounds like that's what Columbus pitcher's did. Good Luck CC.

Since it appears that you have not watched much baseball, let me explain. Teams have bad games, series and weeks as do individual hitters.

Our team had much better success during the season against pitchers that were better than theirs. With that said, they won the series and as my earlier post indicates, I think they have a pretty scrappy team. Also, as I mentioned earlier, their hitters all are capable of putting the ball in play, and with that going for them, who knows how far they can go.

One last note, your profile indicates you are from LaGrange. If that is the case, and you attend the Leopard games, I do not think you would believe that we have a below average hitting team.:)

Brahma73
05-24-2006, 05:15 PM

Since I started this, let ME explain. There were NO dominant pitchers in 20AAA this year in my opinion. I'm 51 years old, I've played the game and God knows I've watched it. That's a statement of experience. There were also very few really dominant hitters. This WAS an off year for baseball in the district. My comment on the Columbus ace was that he is a COMPETITOR and is going to give a lot of teams something to think about. He will not be throwing batting practice to BC. When our district had a dominant pitcher or two, the stands were filled with college and pro scouts every time those kids pitched.

HAL, I totally agree with you on the velocity thing. Velocity is the one most overrated statistic in a high school pitcher's arsenal. In this day and time, with kids practicing off machines that chunk it up there at 100 plus, 92 down the middle is meat.

hookandladder
05-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by HipposGitErDun
Since it appears that you have not watched much baseball, let me explain. Teams have bad games, series and weeks as do individual hitters.

Our team had much better success during the season against pitchers that were better than theirs. With that said, they won the series and as my earlier post indicates, I think they have a pretty scrappy team. Also, as I mentioned earlier, their hitters all are capable of putting the ball in play, and with that going for them, who knows how far they can go.

One last note, your profile indicates you are from LaGrange. If that is the case, and you attend the Leopard games, I do not think you would believe that we have a below average hitting team.:)

Yes I am from LG, yes I did attend the home games. I do not know how old you are but if you are not 50 or more, I doubt it very seriously if you have played, coached or watched as many games as I have. With that being said I am not saying I know more than you, just giving you some info on me. I personally know all 3 of Columbus pitcher's, I never said they are dominate
pitcher's. I know they are very well coached on how to pitch a game. With that being said to limit your hitter's to a low # of hit's throughout the series has to say something about their pitching. The whole reason you play a 3 game series is you are counting on the best team winning. I saw Hutto play and Columbus, I would say that they were 2 pretty evenly matched teams. So the best team won and their team is moving on. On your team being a below average hitting team, I would so no but above average I would also say no. Kerley is definitely a stud.

HipposGitErDun
05-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Yes I am from LG, yes I did attend the home games. I do not know how old you are but if you are not 50 or more, I doubt it very seriously if you have played, coached or watched as many games as I have. With that being said I am not saying I know more than you, just giving you some info on me. I personally know all 3 of Columbus pitcher's, I never said they are dominate
pitcher's. I know they are very well coached on how to pitch a game. With that being said to limit your hitter's to a low # of hit's throughout the series has to say something about their pitching. The whole reason you play a 3 game series is you are counting on the best team winning. I saw Hutto play and Columbus, I would say that they were 2 pretty evenly matched teams. So the best team won and their team is moving on. On your team being a below average hitting team, I would so no but above average I would also say no. Kerley is definitely a stud.

I very much agree that their pitchers are well coached, and whoever calls the pitches does an excellent job.(probably the coach from the dugout)
It is very refreshing to have a debate on this board and not have someone turn it into a "your momma wears army boots" thread.
It may have something to do with our ages,,, as I am 45.
I do like the way Columbus plays baseball and I think their coach gets everything out of his kids, but I still stand by my statement that their pitchers are not spectacular.
I am excited about Huttos baseball team the next few years. Of the 9 postion players(including DH) we had 5 sophmores, 1 junior(Kerley) and 3 seniors. Our top 6 pitchers were 3 sophmores, 2 juniors and only 1 senior.
The question mark next year is if Kerley plays as he will be attending a major university on a football scholarship and may be preparing himself for that and concentrating on winning the state triple jump.(He finished 3rd last year(not playing baseball) and 5th this year.
Thanks again to you and Brahma for keeping the thread on target. Have a great holiday weekend!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-25-2006, 10:02 AM
I will go out on a limb and make a prediction, I think who ever wins the game tonight, will move on to the next round!!!:D :D

Cardinalbb
05-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
I will go out on a limb and make a prediction, I think who ever wins the game tonight, will move on to the next round!!!:D :D

BRILLIANT!!

BTEXDAD
05-25-2006, 10:15 AM
the all knowing, all seeing, seer, sage, soothsayer, and former Bellville Brahma has hit the nail on the head once again.
Win or go home. There's no tomorrow. Play it one game at a time. Your backs are against the wall. No use crying over spilled milk. A stitch in time saves nine. If you come to a fork in the road, pick it up, but wash it before using.
It's Deja Vu all over again.
And one more thing, just remember, 80% of the game is mental and the other 50% is physical.

Good luck Cardinals, and you too, Cardinals.

Bull's-eye
05-25-2006, 10:37 AM

I think it will be the Cardinals!! :D

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I think it will be the Cardinals!! :D

You got it right!!!!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-25-2006, 09:55 PM

So did I!!!!

BlueBlood
05-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Darn. I thought the team in red would win.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by BlueBlood
Darn. I thought the team in red would win.

No I thought the team in red lost?

exbccards76'smom
05-25-2006, 11:55 PM
The team in red did lose; the team wearing white won!!! Janack was a tough pitcher,but our bats finally woke up in the fifth inning. Couple of questionable call for both sides. Johnny Dishon hit one tonight that, if we had been at home, would have been over the fence. Columbus player was back up halfway to the fence to catch it. :cheerl: :kiss: :cheerl:

BIGREDFAN2
05-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Angelle pitched an awesome game tonight. 1 hitter and 16k's.

I believe that was Coleman that hit that shot not Dishon.

Bull19
05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
congrats both teams. c- town good year. b-c good luck rest of the way