PDA

View Full Version : Just saw The Davinci Code

PPHSfan
05-23-2006, 11:49 PM
The visuals were awesome. The acting was superb. Story followed the book except for a few changes at the end. I walked away feeling like I got my money's worth. I would recommend it as a good flick. I won't get into the political or religious aspects of the film, other than to say that I was not offended at all.

SintonFan
05-24-2006, 12:38 AM
So are you saying we should see this movie?

PPHSfan
05-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Well I don't know what some of you find entertaining, but I thought it was great. It was two and a half hours long, and I saw it at 8:30 P.M. after working a twelve hour day, and I didn't fall asleep watching it.

olddawggreen
05-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks PPHSfan, I've heard such mixed reviews on the news, I appreciat your unbiased opinion. Think I will give it a look.:)

piratebg
05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Thanks PPHSfan, I've heard such mixed reviews on the news, I appreciat your unbiased opinion. Think I will give it a look.:)

There were a lot of critics who panned the movie, but I don't always trust them. I've been waiting to talk to someone who has seen the movie and might offer a better opinion.

pancho villa
05-24-2006, 08:18 AM
I am going! Hope it is as good as the book.

Blastoderm55
05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
I thought it was an excellent movie. The main criticisms I have heard are that it takes too much time to explain things to the audience, which is in reality very helpful to those of us who didn't read the book. Ebert gave it a great rating though. :D

Adidas410s
05-24-2006, 10:11 AM
I think that as long as you can take an open mind to see the film and remember that IT IS FICTIONAL and NOT a "religion film"...then you will enjoy it. I'm going to give it a shot...

mistanice
05-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Ebert and Roeper gave it TWO thumbs up!

CenTexSports
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
I don't go to movies but my wife just called and said she finally found a movie that I would go to. I don't know the name but she said that Jennifer Anniston gets naked in it. Movies, here I come.

piratebg
05-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I don't go to movies but my wife just called and said she finally found a movie that I would go to. I don't know the name but she said that Jennifer Anniston gets naked in it. Movies, here I come.

I bet that got your thumbs up real quick. :D

Brahma73
05-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I read the book, saw the movie on Friday. Thought it was quite could. Contrary to what I'd heard, I thought it followed the book quite well, though much of the detail obviously had to be abbreviated due to time constraints. In 2 1/2 hours (was it really that long?) I was never bored. As far as the bashing of the Catholic Church thing, the book spent much more time. But remember as Adidas said, it's fiction designed to get a rise out of people. The stuff sells books (I have all Brown's books) and movie tickets ($50+ million 1st weekend).

Nothing like Anniston shucking the threads (now what movie was that?!), but a good movie. Go see it.

Gobbla2001
05-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but have read the book and it was great... put all of your beliefs aside, it's fiction...

I was on my way up to Austin last weekend for the track-meet and I heard on one of their alternative rock stations a commercial by a pastor at an Austin church saying "It is a GREAT book and I enjoyed it, and it was hard to put down, but remember it is fiction, come to my church to hear the truth about Jesus Christ blah blah blah"...

PPHSfan
05-24-2006, 12:42 PM
I didn't think it bashed the Catholic Church at all. It showed the Opus Dei to be ultra-conservative, but the O.D. will openly admit to their beliefs. I don't think ANYONE should be offended by this "alternative" view of Christianity. I walked away, not having a changed mind about anything, but rather (just like when I read the book) I was intrigued by the "idea". I don't believe for a second that God is upset with me for seeing this movie, or reading this book.

sinton66
05-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I didn't think it bashed the Catholic Church at all. It showed the Opus Dei to be ultra-conservative, but the O.D. will openly admit to their beliefs. I don't think ANYONE should be offended by this "alternative" view of Christianity. I walked away, not having a changed mind about anything, but rather (just like when I read the book) I was intrigued by the "idea". I don't believe for a second that God is upset with me for seeing this movie, or reading this book.

Da Vinci actually lived much later than the events being discussed, so you should get the idea that his "theory" isn't first hand info. (What would a medieval painter know of such things anyway?)Ron Howard has said many times in interviews that this was designed to be entertaining and that's all it should be taken for.

hutex04
05-25-2006, 12:32 AM
I thought the movie started out good. The first hour and half were great. But it kinda faded twords the end. I guess i was expecting one of those "hair standing on the back of your neck" moments and i never got them. Kinda like the part in 6th sense when bruce willis finds out hes dead. That was a "hair standing moment" But overall i give it 2.5 stars out of 5

Ranger Mom
05-25-2006, 09:02 AM
My 16 y/o daughter went to see with some friends yesterday!

She said she thought it was "entertaining" but it didn't change anything she has grown up believing!