PDA

View Full Version : if you're in C.C. dont eat at the Astor!!

pirate44
05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
got first hand info on the ice tea there today. :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/displacedtexan/blogstartdatesept232005/animated_Tom_DeLay_cockroach.gif

big daddy russ
05-23-2006, 02:48 PM
The cockroaches give it flavor.

But seriously, I used to love that place. Has it gone downhill that much in the last 5-10 years?

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes, and it breaks my heart.
I believe my dad proposed to my mom there.:(

Maroon87
05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
I've eaten there about 1,000 times but not recently. I much prefer the U&I downtown.

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I've eaten there about 1,000 times but not recently. I much prefer the U&I downtown.
Owners cousin or brother, right? The food is much better there now, the menu is very similiar, but sometimes it's really busy.

pirate44
05-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The cockroaches give it flavor.

But seriously, I used to love that place. Has it gone downhill that much in the last 5-10 years?
in their defense, that stuff is prob. at every restaurant in town, they just look at the ice they serve before they pour the tea

pirate44
05-23-2006, 02:54 PM
i heard Land & Sea is owned by the same people

Blastoderm55
05-23-2006, 02:56 PM
We had a laugh at Olive Garden this past weekend after some employees tried to keep it on the down low that there were roaches crawling around. :D

Maroon87
05-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
i heard Land & Sea is owned by the same people

That's a pretty good place too IMO.

pirate44
05-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
We had a laugh at Olive Garden this past weekend after some employees tried to keep it on the down low that there were roaches crawling around. :D
thanks a lot. i just ate there saturday. is ravioli supposed to be crunchy?? :thinking:

big daddy russ
05-23-2006, 03:29 PM
I've never eaten at the U&I. Is it as good as the Astor used to be?

Maroon87
05-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've never eaten at the U&I. Is it as good as the Astor used to be?

I think it is.:cool:

pirate44
05-23-2006, 03:37 PM
I remember watching the Rachel Ray program when she ate at "Andy's Kitchen" on Everhart Rd. shortly after the program aired, it got in trouble with the health department. watching that show made me want to try it out, until i saw the health report later

olddawggreen
05-23-2006, 05:12 PM
I miss the old Ship Ahoy, original downtown location:( :(

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 05:52 PM
I think it is.:cool:
I'll second that!:clap:
:disclaimer: I haven't been to Pat's U&I for at least three years.:doh:

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I miss the old Ship Ahoy, original downtown location:( :(
ROFL! I was gonna post the same thing. gmta.:clap:

pirate44
05-23-2006, 07:03 PM
where was Ship Ahoy?

Maroon87
05-23-2006, 08:00 PM
where was Ship Ahoy?

If I remember correctly it was on Ocean Drive almost to A&M-CC. It later became The County Line. I'm not sure what it is now.

pirate44
05-23-2006, 08:03 PM
If I remember correctly it was on Ocean Drive almost to A&M-CC. It later became The County Line. I'm not sure what it is now.
ahh..the county line. now thats more my speed. i cried when they closed shop. :(

RiverRat19
05-23-2006, 08:46 PM
I like to eat at either of the Water Street Seafood restaurants when I'm down in Corpus. My wife likes La Playa and/or Kiko's for Tex-Mex when we go down there... Of course, we can get good Mexican food at home but not as good seafood as near the coast.

pirate44
05-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
I like to eat at either of the Water Street Seafood restaurants when I'm down in Corpus. My wife likes La Playa and/or Kiko's for Tex-Mex when we go down there... Of course, we can get good Mexican food at home but not as good seafood as near the coast.
if you are around Rockport / Fulton Beach, i highly recommend Charlotte Plummers for seafood. the food is almost (very almost) as good as Kings Inn in Rivera, but cheaper. and with a view of Fulton Harbor

RiverRat19
05-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the tip - I have heard that Charlotte Plummer's and The Boiling Pot are seafood places to go to in Rockport/Fulton area. I have been to the Big Fisherman and liked it... Water Street still is my favorite down that way.

Cameron Crazy
05-23-2006, 08:57 PM
I allways like cockroaches in my dinner adds a good spice to it!

Buccaneer
05-23-2006, 09:12 PM
where was Ship Ahoy?
The Original Ship Ahoy was downtown. I-37 at Water St. Cat-a-corner from the Omni.

pirate44
05-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Thanks for the tip - I have heard that Charlotte Plummer's and The Boiling Pot are seafood places to go to in Rockport/Fulton area. I have been to the Big Fisherman and liked it... Water Street still is my favorite down that way.
i prefer the others, but dont get me wrong, Water street can hold their own. good food, and i found a pearl in an oyster there once. nearly broke my tooth

pirate44
05-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
I allways like cockroaches in my dinner adds a good spice to it!
yeah, maybe, but when theyre waterlogged in your tea, it just aint no fun

pirate44
05-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
The Original Ship Ahoy was downtown. I-37 at Water St. Cat-a-corner from the Omni.
hmm:thinking: im gonna have to drive by there to get a better idea

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
ROFL! I was gonna post the same thing. gmta.:clap:
The original location was not Bayfront... but as a child I remember being there and it being very HOT. My parents told me I was maybe 4 when I was last there. It was always crowded, they said. :cool:
There were two Ship Ahoys, lol.:D

SintonFan
05-24-2006, 12:56 AM
The original location was not Bayfront... but as a child I remember being there and it being very HOT. My parents told me I was maybe 4 when I was last there. It was always crowded, they said. :cool:
There were two Ship Ahoys, lol.:D
Clarify this, the one I remember most was on the bayfront(which should turned into the County Line). I loved that one.
I do remember that the one off the bayfront had red vinyl seats. Maybe that's why it always seemed "hot" to me?

District303aPastPlayer
05-24-2006, 04:07 AM

That place is now The Islander Bar and Grill... not to bad of a food selection. HELLA TVs, Live Music during the week, plenty of beer, and a couple of pool tables. Also.. if you are an A&M-CC student, your student meal card works at the Islander...
Its turned into a jazzy lil hole in the wall...

pirate44
05-24-2006, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
That place is now The Islander Bar and Grill... not to bad of a food selection. HELLA TVs, Live Music during the week, plenty of beer, and a couple of pool tables. Also.. if you are an A&M-CC student, your student meal card works at the Islander...
Its turned into a jazzy lil hole in the wall...
i heard as "Shorline Grill" it was pretty awful. i guess it went out of business to become Islander.

olddawggreen
05-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Clarify this, the one I remember most was on the bayfront(which should turned into the County Line). I loved that one.
I do remember that the one off the bayfront had red vinyl seats. Maybe that's why it always seemed "hot" to me?

The Bayfront location was the new location ( I never thought it was as good as the original). The original was located at 1017 North Water at IH 37. (Phone #512-882-1152 ;) . ). My favorite memories of their food was the Thousand Island dressing served on a wedge of lettuce and the fried shrimp.

Just a note, there was also a Ship Ahoy located in Houston. The Christi's restuarants in San Antonio, Austin and Houston were also tied in with the family that owned Ship Ahoy, I believe. They had the same shrimp and Thousand Island dressing.
From what I heard there was a robbery or homicide at the old location and it never opened again after that, I really never heard any details about it though. I know some of the cooks and a waitress or two from the Ship Ahoy went to work at the Astor after the closing. Man, I would love to have those receipes:)

olddawggreen
05-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Speaking of old favorite Corpus restuarants, I saw a new Chicken Shack restruarant located on IH 37 as I drove into Corpus a couple of weeks ago. Man, used to love those drum sticks! :D

pirate44
05-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Speaking of old favorite Corpus restuarants, I saw a new Chicken Shack restruarant located on IH 37 as I drove into Corpus a couple of weeks ago. Man, used to love those drum sticks! :D
my favorite. they were located on Leopard st. near mckenzie, but they built that new place and opened a month or 2 ago. everything they make is awsome. including the pies :D

Buccaneer
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
The Bayfront location was the new location ( I never thought it was as good as the original). The original was located at 1017 North Water at IH 37. (Phone #512-882-1152 ;) . ). My favorite memories of their food was the Thousand Island dressing served on a wedge of lettuce and the fried shrimp.

Just a note, there was also a Ship Ahoy located in Houston. The Christi's restuarants in San Antonio, Austin and Houston were also tied in with the family that owned Ship Ahoy, I believe. They had the same shrimp and Thousand Island dressing.
From what I heard there was a robbery or homicide at the old location and it never opened again after that, I really never heard any details about it though. I know some of the cooks and a waitress or two from the Ship Ahoy went to work at the Astor after the closing. Man, I would love to have those receipes:)
I remember some of that. There was a robbery and some of the employees were killed. The CC Ship Ahoy was owned by the Hill Family. One of their dressings for the Shrimp Louie was commercial 1000 island dressing with horseradish added.