PDA

View Full Version : 80 mph?

spiveyrat
05-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Is anyone aware as to whether this is really being considered?

=============================================

Opinion
Texas on right road with 80 mph Tue May 23, 6:53 AM ET

I applaud Texas for considering raising the speed limit to 80 mph on certain stretches of highway ("Texas could accelerate to 80 mph," News, Wednesday).

Apparently its transportation department officials did research and determined that 80 mph is appropriate for those sections of highway and, in fact, that 85% of drivers on those roads drive as if the speed limit were already 80 mph.

A criticism by some is that posting an 80 mph speed limit would result in most drivers going above 80 mph. While it may be true in the short term, the logic behind that prediction is flawed.

For many years, speed limits have been set artificially low. The majority of drivers clearly recognize this fact and drive at more appropriate, higher speeds. They take their chances and some are penalized by law enforcement. Other states would be well advised to take notice of what Texas is considering and set realistic speed limits, too.

Posting artificially low speed limits and then randomly enforcing them causes serious problems, including:

• Hindering the efficient flow of traffic.

• Increasing, not decreasing, the likelihood of accidents as a result of the speed differential between people driving realistic speeds vs. those who drive at the artificially low speed limits because they fear getting tickets.

• Making many otherwise law-abiding citizens criminals because they're compelled to break the law by speeding.

I encourage vigorous enforcement of these more realistic speed limits so drivers would be discouraged from driving an extra 5 mph or more over the new limit, as many do now.

As for the fuel economy argument, the last I heard, we still have some freedoms here. We are still allowed to waste fuel if we want to - or need to - because we have to get somewhere as quickly as the law and common sense will permit.

If big SUVs or high-powered sports cars use too much gas, their drivers already pay a big penalty at the pumps.

Yes, driving more quickly will use more gas, but that should be our decision, and if we want to save fuel there are other options. For example, I drive a hybrid Toyota Prius most of the time.

Speed limits are finally starting to inch their way back to reality. We should think long and hard before we sit back and watch while certain of our well-meaning but misguided government officials try to legislate that freedom away.

Jan Wagner, San Diego

piratebg
05-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Last I heard, this was a serious proposal. It's made both local and national news the past week or two.

spiveyrat
05-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I've been on a stretch of I-80 in Nebraska that was 75. Wow, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some stretches of I-45 having an 80 mph limit.

Emerson1
05-23-2006, 12:32 PM
If the speed limit is 80, people will go 90. I bet alot of people would be scared to drive on those roads, you arn't gonna get an old granny to get going 80 in her cadillac.

spiveyrat
05-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I agree. I think there would be some who would continue to push the envelope.

wedo
05-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Last I heard, this was a serious proposal. It's made both local and national news the past week or two.

Man im really going to be driving slow now compared to everyone else!! Im still going to drive 55-60 b/c gas is still to high!!! Maybe they are uping the speed limit b/c of population control, they want people to kill themselves!!! j/k ;)

Buccaneer
05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Remember the left hand lane is the passing lane. If you arent passing even if you are driving 70 get out of the way!

District303aPastPlayer
05-23-2006, 12:38 PM
this is for like desolate stretched with nothing around... its like, just empty highway to get you places like in west texas from what i understood... i wouldn't mind seeing that.

DU_stud04
05-23-2006, 12:38 PM
80mph....i like, i wont be as scared to be caught doubling the speed limit again test driving cars we work on (169mph on i-20 from ftworth to arlington)

Ranger Mom
05-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Here is the proposed change:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/KRSimmons/map.jpg

raider red 2000
05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
isnt part of i-10 already 75?

i might be wrong, but west of junction to sonora?

i havnt driven farther west than that on 10.

pirate4state
05-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
isnt part of i-10 already 75?

i might be wrong, but west of junction to sonora?

i havnt driven farther west than that on 10. Yes, it is and I love it! There is nothing out there but highway, but like someone said you okay 80 and I'm gonna drive 90. :devil:

pirate44
05-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yes, it is and I love it! There is nothing out there but highway, but like someone said you okay 80 and I'm gonna drive 90. :devil:
just for that, im gonna start drivin 50:evillaugh

Ranger Mom
05-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
just for that, im gonna start drivin 50:evillaugh

No problem...it's two lane, she will just blow around you!!

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

About time. There's is absolutley nothing out there. Now if they'll do the same for IH 37...:cool:

lepfan
05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
The Indian Nation Turnpike from south of Tulsa to Hugo, OK is 75.

I did 80 all the way from Houston to Pauls Valley, OK (on the interstates) yesterday...that is just where my car wanted to drive ;)

mustang04
05-23-2006, 06:52 PM
i remember when i went 105 all the way to lubbock from sweetwater...then last semester i went 100 most the way to austin w/ out gettin pulled over, then on my way back i was doing the same, but 12 miles outside of san angelo i saw a trooper, slowed down and he clocked me at 88.....

moral of the story..... asenseofhumordriving.com is an AWESOME site to do ur defensive driving!!!:D

spiveyrat
05-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Shoot! That wouldn't help me out in the least.:(

neck_94
05-24-2006, 08:26 AM
do the 18-wheelers get to drive 80 as well?

lepfan
05-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by neck_94
do the 18-wheelers get to drive 80 as well? They already do!!!

raider red 2000
05-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
i remember when i went 105 all the way to lubbock from sweetwater...then last semester i went 100 most the way to austin w/ out gettin pulled over, then on my way back i was doing the same, but 12 miles outside of san angelo i saw a trooper, slowed down and he clocked me at 88.....

moral of the story..... asenseofhumordriving.com is an AWESOME site to do ur defensive driving!!!:D

when i was 16 i drove from austin to lubbock speeding the whole way.

i made the"6 hour" drive in 4 hrs and 58 minutes. we stopped for gas once and were sent on a small detour do to bad directions.

topped out my mom's car at 114.

one of the dumbet things that i ever did :)