PDA

View Full Version : Why watch the NBA?

CenTexSports
05-23-2006, 10:36 AM
The NBA is the most bastardized professional sport (with arena football a close second) in existance. Their is no semblence to real basketball. The players have to almost run without dribbiling to travel and the rules are geared to allow for the offense to dominate. And even with this the skills of most players is nothing more than an ability to dunk. Players like Ron Artest, HIV Johnson, and others are the stars.

This being said, there are the exceptions such as Tim Ducan and Dirk N. but as a whole, it is a sport not worth wasting time on.

griff
05-23-2006, 12:59 PM
The NBA is not as exciting as NCAA Men's Basketball. Aside from that, what I don't like about the NBA is all the favoritism toward star players by the officials. The officiating in the NBA is the worst among professional sports in America.

kaorder1999
05-23-2006, 01:02 PM
the problem with that is the officials can be fans too. They make or dont make calls for the palyers they admire. I guess that is just a part of life....

griff
05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
I think it's a little more sinister than that, ka. I think the NBA office indirectly "encourages" officiating to favor the star players to help enhance their star power, their stats, highlights, TV ratings, etc. Back in the 80's, I saw a documentary that included interviews with current and former players and officials. Many of them implied what I'm saying here. But all you have to do is watch a steady diet of games and see it for yourself. I hate this about the NBA.

big daddy russ
05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey, I love the NBA. Rockets, Spurs, and Astros games are the only sports my girl will watch with me, so I love it when hoops season rolls around.

raider red 2000
05-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Hey, I love the NBA. Rockets, Spurs, and Astros games are the only sports my girl will watch with me, so I love it when hoops season rolls around.

that is a good reason to watch.

my wife will watch some football....and some basketball....not baseball.

i am tired of the NBA.....i could cheer on the spurs...but that is about is. to me basketball season is over.

Emerson1
05-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Why watch MLB? It's the most boring sport of the major 3, hardly america's sport anymore.

raider red 2000
05-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Why watch MLB? It's the most boring sport of the major 3, hardly america's sport anymore.

you are right.

i can watch golf and not baseball....and i am not a golfer :)

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Watching baseball in person is different than watching on tv. I can't stand watching it on tv but like going to a local game.

Ranger Mom
05-23-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't watch much basketball either...just a question about something I noticed last night. Does Tony Parker (I think that is who it was) always complain that he didn't do anything when he fouls someone??

No offense to any Spur fans, my husband was pulling for the Mavs, but I was secretly cheering on the Spurs...it was just something I seemed to notice alot!!

neck_94
05-23-2006, 02:30 PM
the NBA sucks...

its too pimped and throwed and thugged out for my liking...

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't watch much basketball either...just a question about something I noticed last night. Does Tony Parker (I think that is who it was) always complain that he didn't do anything when he fouls someone??

No offense to any Spur fans, my husband was pulling for the Mavs, but I was secretly cheering on the Spurs...it was just something I seemed to notice alot!!
Every player doesn't ever think they ever committed a foul.:D
But little Tony does have an expressive face, right? I think he's been taking acting lessons from Eva.

Emerson1
05-23-2006, 02:57 PM

The entire spurs nation complains when there is a foul against the spurs. You should of been watching Tim Duncan, it was hilarious when he would be called for a foul, I really wouldn't mind that much if he wasn't getting calls his way, but he was.

TheDOCTORdre
05-23-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm still wondering how many steps Manu is allowed to have before he shoots, or am I the only one who's wondering this?

raider red 2000
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I'm still wondering how many steps Manu is allowed to have before he shoots, or am I the only one who's wondering this?

he is allowed 5....others only 4 :)

Phil C
05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I have noticed that about the officials but I didn't want to say anything but others on here seemed to confirm. You would think that the officiating would be better and fairer especially with three of them but it seems they do a poor job compared to what they are paid. Bad calls or no calls probably balance out for most teams in the long run but it would seem they would be the exception rather than the rule but such does not appear the case. These officials in the playoffs are supposed to be the best of the officials. Frightening isn't it?

raider red 2000
05-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I have noticed that about the officials but I didn't want to say anything but others on here seemed to confirm. You would think that the officiating would be better and fairer especially with three of them but it seems they do a poor job compared to what they are paid. Bad calls or no calls probably balance out for most teams in the long run but it would seem they would be the exception rather than the rule but such does not appear the case. These officials in the playoffs are supposed to be the best of the officials. Frightening isn't it?

bad thing is, that some crappy HS officials interpret the rules the same way.

never call double dribble or traveling.

they must watch those AND1 videos and think that is basketball :)

Phil C
05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
bad thing is, that some crappy HS officials interpret the rules the same way.

never call double dribble or traveling.

they must watch those AND1 videos and think that is basketball :)

Too much inconsistency isn't there raider. I remember back in the 60s and 70s it seemed the NBA officials did a much better job of calling the games and enforcing the rules.

Ranger Mom
05-23-2006, 03:20 PM
The entire spurs nation complains when there is a foul against the spurs. You should of been watching Tim Duncan, it was hilarious when he would be called for a foul, I really wouldn't mind that much if he wasn't getting calls his way, but he was.

Maybe it WAS Tim Duncan...I don't remember now!!:nerd:

Emerson1
05-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Too much inconsistency isn't there raider. I remember back in the 60s and 70s it seemed the NBA officials did a much better job of calling the games and enforcing the rules.
Back in the day they didn't call stupid touch fouls. A flagarent foul now would of been just an orginary hard foul back then.

wedo
05-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Personally i hate the NBA and i usually don't watch MLB either only the highlights if i catch them. Although i would rather attend a game at Minute Maide Park, i like it better in persoon. I usually just watch the NFL Network during the Offseason. I hate it when its not football season!!!!

Ranger Mom
05-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Maybe it WAS Tim Duncan...I don't remember now!!:nerd:

Yep..just saw a picture..it was Tim Duncan I was talking about.

Now I gotta go find a pic of Tony Parker...evidently I don't know what HE looks like!!

Emerson1
05-23-2006, 05:10 PM
just stick to football

http://basketballboards.net/img/headshots/200x300/spurs/PARKER,%20TONY.jpg