PDA

View Full Version : The Reason Everyone hates the Mavs...

District303aPastPlayer
05-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Is it Mark Cuban more than anything?

big daddy russ
05-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Not me. I love Cuban.

I hate the Mavs because they just beat the Spurs. I could care less if it's "only right" that you root for them the rest of the way, I hope they lose next round.

I used to hate them because they didn't play defense. This year I liked them until about two weeks ago.

GreenGobbla
05-23-2006, 12:02 AM
well you can say what you want, becuz ur spurs are sitting at home now....

go mavs!

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 12:07 AM
I don't know if me rooting for the Spurs translates to hating the Mavs.:confused:

KTJ
05-23-2006, 12:35 AM
As a Mavs fan, I love it when Cuban gets fined.

Because I know that money will go to a charity that really needs it.

District303aPastPlayer
05-23-2006, 12:36 AM
I love when Cuban gets fined too... because people take notice of what he says right after he says it.

big daddy russ
05-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I don't know if me rooting for the Spurs translates to hating the Mavs.:confused:
I was raised in the middle of the Iron Bowl. Hatred is as much a part of my rivalries as anorexia is for Kate Moss' diet.

I never did learn to root for another team that I develop a rivalry with.

Actually, nix that. I always did root for Aransas Pass, but I don't care much for UT, always hated the Cowboys (even though they're not really a rivalry... I've always liked the Dolphins), can't stand 'Bama, and I hate France.

What can I say? I'm just an old-fashioned hate-monger.

If I had my way, the Crimson Tide would go into the Iron Bowl undefeated every year. Their girls would then leave them for a troupe of vacuum salesmen, they'd take the Tide's mascot with them, and my boys down on the plains would kick the crap out of them.

The next week, France would falls off into the North Sea/English Channel, A&M would beat UT, and the Cowboys would lose their Thanksgiving Day game to the 49ers' or Texans' (or some sucky team's) second-stringers, keeping them out of the playoffs. And for good measure, Nicholas Cage's career tanks.

I'll never start rooting for 'Bama just because I have a couple of buddies that went to school there.

3afan
05-23-2006, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Is it Mark Cuban more than anything?

hey, for what he has done for that franchise, that team, its well worth it ........... and its like anytone else in the sports world: if you're a Mavs you love him, if you're not, you hate him

bring on PHX!

3afan
05-23-2006, 05:57 AM
and by the way, I don't think everyone hates the Mavs ... just bitter Spurs fans 'cause what he said recently :p

pirate44
05-23-2006, 06:04 AM
i was hoping the Spurs would win, but im totally behind the Mavericks. i hope they win it all. i dont personally know anyone who loves the Spurs and hates the mavs.

neck_94
05-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Cuban is doing exactly what you would like to do/or say...

the only difference is... he has the money to put where his mouth is and he dont mind paying for his remarks.

Maroon87
05-23-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't hate the Mavs. Far from it. I'm just a long time Spurs diehard, going back to the "Iceman." Cuban is a little over the top though, to say the least.

Macarthur
05-23-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't have a huge problem with much of his antics. What I do have a problem with was him cussing out Bowen. Cuban has very little class; that incident shows he actually has no class. What would we be doing to Jerry if he cussed out Donovan McNabb as he came off the field? I'm glad the Mavs won, but I hate Cuban's antics.

piratebg
05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
The Mavs players are great and they have an awesome coach, but I can't stand Cuban and they way he acts. I'll give the guy all the credit in the world for building one hell of a team, but that's about it. Bad mouthing your opponent is one thing, but trying to put down a city as a whole is completely uncalled for.

griff
05-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Becoming a very rich man and owning a professional franchise has not and will not change the classlessness and childishness of the juvenile known as Mark Cuban. He's a little boy with a fat wallet and an immature mind. On the flip side, Avery Johnson and (for the most part) the Mavericks players do exude class. I hope they never take on the personality of the owner.

The one time Cuban's antics were actually funny was when he "ate his words" and spent a day working at a Dairy Queen store.

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
If the Mavs don't win it all I'll hate them for it...:doh:

big daddy russ
05-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Like 3afan said, I'm bitter. Not bitter about what Cuban said, just bitter that my team didn't go. That's the God's honest truth.

I think most people got caught up in the jawing going back and forth between the two teams all year long. It came to a head and became personal this series. That's exactly what a rivalry is... you take everything personally.

Cuban's antics, whether anyone liked them or not, just added fuel to the fire and money to his bank account. He turned it into a war of cities, not just a war of teams. That brought in the fringe fans who probably would've never watched a game in the first place, and they started getting into the whole concept of a rivalry, too.

That momentum just built up, especially after all the hard-fought games and horrible officiating.

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty bitter but hopefully now the Spurs can make the moves to shed some extra weight and improve.

big daddy russ
05-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty bitter but hopefully now the Spurs can make the moves to shed some extra weight and improve.
You know Dan, their window is definitely closing. Most people don't talk about it yet, because none of the players have really slowed down, but:

1. Duncan's 30 right now. Most posts are effective until they hit about 33, then they start to decline rapidly. That gives Duncan another three years if he sticks with the average, and as many games as he's played throughout his career (he's never missed the playoffs, three times in the Finals, a couple more in the Conference Finals) he'll probably start to break down right around that age.

2. Bruce Bowen will be 35 this summer. Ginobili and Parker get all the hype as two-thirds of the "big three," but this guy is probably more important to their success than either of those guys. He's the only perimeter guy on the team that can guard inside or outside. Put him on a PG (he was a tougher matchup for Terry than Parker was) or a C/PF... he can guard all five positions.

3. Finley, Barry, and Horry... all three are key pieces of the SA bench and all three are heading into what's likely their last two or three years in the league.

They still have another 3-4 years, but it's downhill after that. They need to start getting younger. I love Ginobili and Parker, but I don't think either of those guys are good enough to carry the Spurs to the playoffs every year.

I'd like to see them trade away this year's pick for a future first-rounder. The next two years should be strong years for the draft, and they can get a great player later in the draft. This year's class is pretty weak.

pirate4state
05-23-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm just glad this series is over!

SintonFan
05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You know Dan, their window is definitely closing. Most people don't talk about it yet, because none of the players have really slowed down, but:

1. Duncan's 30 right now. Most posts are effective until they hit about 33, then they start to decline rapidly. That gives Duncan another three years if he sticks with the average, and as many games as he's played throughout his career (he's never missed the playoffs, three times in the Finals, a couple more in the Conference Finals) he'll probably start to break down right around that age.

2. Bruce Bowen will be 35 this summer. Ginobili and Parker get all the hype as two-thirds of the "big three," but this guy is probably more important to their success than either of those guys. He's the only perimeter guy on the team that can guard inside or outside. Put him on a PG (he was a tougher matchup for Terry than Parker was) or a C/PF... he can guard all five positions.

3. Finley, Barry, and Horry... all three are key pieces of the SA bench and all three are heading into what's likely their last two or three years in the league.

They still have another 3-4 years, but it's downhill after that. They need to start getting younger. I love Ginobili and Parker, but I don't think either of those guys are good enough to carry the Spurs to the playoffs every year.

I'd like to see them trade away this year's pick for a future first-rounder. The next two years should be strong years for the draft, and they can get a great player later in the draft. This year's class is pretty weak.
What you saw this year imo was an experiment to extend Duncan's NBA viability for a couple of extra years. Pop is crafty and I don't think Duncan was all that injured throughout the year. He took it a little easier and relied on other players more this year. Unfortunately, to suddenly "turn it on" and start playing Spur's playoff basketball with only using half your players was just too much to handle.
lol I think about these players' ages all the time and yes, it tends to be unspoken among fans. Bowen is superman in my mind. Finley can contribute like Horry has in the past. They have been trying to trade away Barry the last two years, with deals caving in just before the deadline. The Spurs have an exciting player(Scalia?) from I think one of the Italian leagues that they are fixin to buy his contract out and sign.
They will get rid of the fat and be a much improved team next year. Count on it.:) Everytime they lose like this they come back even stronger and more determined. Pop has coached three championships with essentially three different teams, except for Duncan being the commonality. They'll get it done, and yes, before Duncan gets too old to do much about it.:) I have ALL the faith in the world in this world-class management team and organization.:cool: :clap:

Macarthur
05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Like 3afan said, I'm bitter. Not bitter about what Cuban said, just bitter that my team didn't go. That's the God's honest truth.

I think most people got caught up in the jawing going back and forth between the two teams all year long. It came to a head and became personal this series. That's exactly what a rivalry is... you take everything personally.

Cuban's antics, whether anyone liked them or not, just added fuel to the fire and money to his bank account. He turned it into a war of cities, not just a war of teams. That brought in the fringe fans who probably would've never watched a game in the first place, and they started getting into the whole concept of a rivalry, too.

That momentum just built up, especially after all the hard-fought games and horrible officiating.

So are you defending Cuban's childish behavior?

Did we really need him acting like an idiot to get everyone's juices flowing?

Phil C
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION! BE GRACIOUS LOSERS! THE SERIES IS OVER AND WE HAVE TO NOW SUPPORT THE MAVS BECAUSE THEY ARE A TEXAS TEAM!

LET'S BE POLITICALLY CORRECT.

BEFORE LAST NIGHT I SUPPORTED THE SPURS AND SAID I HOPED THEY WOULD WIN BUT I WOULD SUPPORT THE WINNER OF THE SERIES THE REST OF THE PLAYOFFS. IT IS IMPORTANT TO BE A PERSON OF YOUR WORD SO:

GO MAVERICKS! BEAT THE SUNS!

TheDOCTORdre
05-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
THE SERIES IS OVER AND WE HAVE TO NOW SUPPORT THE MAVS BECAUSE THEY ARE A TEXAS TEAM!

no we dont:D

3afan
05-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Cuban was interviewed by Norm Hiztges (sp) on The Ticket today. He apologized to Bowen immediately after the incident the other night (that was reported yesterday), but he said he'd probably do it again based on what Bowen said to him. He said that part was never reported 'cause neither him nor Bowen brought it up to the press. FYI ,,,,,,

big daddy russ
05-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
So are you defending Cuban's childish behavior?

Did we really need him acting like an idiot to get everyone's juices flowing?
I've never felt compelled to defend him. I've always liked the guy.

He may be a little rough around the edges, but he never dodges the bullet. A few years ago, he said that the NBA's Director of Officials couldn't manage a Dairy Queen. DQ took offense, and Cuban ate his crow. He worked at a DQ for a day.

I'll stick up for Cuban when I have to, but I don't think he's done anything bad enough to where I'd have to stick up for him. Like I said, he's not the most PC guy on the planet, but neither am I. I admire a guy who'll speak his mind instead of speaking what everyone wants to hear.

TPlinebacker53
05-24-2006, 01:07 PM
i dont like the mavs

Dirk is fag and he looks like a goat

Bullaholic
05-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by TPlinebacker53
i dont like the mavs

Dirk is fag and he looks like a goat

Yep...that's reason not to like em'---good point. :rolleyes:

Phil C
05-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Give credit where credit is due. Dirk is the Arnold Swartzneigger of NBA basketball.

Phil C
05-24-2006, 02:03 PM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad: