PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 football movies

Highschoolfan78
05-22-2006, 08:44 AM
i know this is probably been on here about 5 times.. but i dont remember...

10.the little giants
9. the longest yard
8. radio
7. the replacements
6. any given sunday
5. varsity blues
4. remember the titans
3. friday night lights
2. brian's song
1. rudy

pancho villa
05-22-2006, 09:00 AM
North Dallas Forty about #5

Old Tiger
05-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78

10.the little giants
9. the longest yard
8. radio
7. the replacements
6. any given sunday
5. varsity blues
4. remember the titans
3. friday night lights
2. brian's song
1. rudy How could you leave off The Program?

Phil C
05-22-2006, 09:14 AM
One wonders why Knute Rockne isn't on the list.

Highschoolfan78
05-22-2006, 09:16 AM
haha sorry guess my knowledge on sports movies is not as broad as yalls

Phil C
05-22-2006, 09:35 AM
These probably wouldn't make the top ten and are probably unknown to a lot of the younger ones here but if you get a chance to see these older movies you should do so because they are very good.

The Rose Bowl Story with Marshall Thompson (most famous for tv series Daktari in 1960s) made in 1952. It also stars Vera Miles and a 12 year old Natalie Wood as Vera's little sister.

All American with Tony Curtis and the great Michigan halfback sportscaster Tom Harmon as himself. This movie was made in 1953. It also stars the blond bomdshell Mamie Van Doran as Susie Ward.

Father Was a Fullback with Fred MacMurray and Maureen O'Hara made in 1949. Natalie Wood plays one of their daughters.

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home with Shirley MacLaine and Richard Creena made in 1965. This movie is a funny movie meant to be enjoyed as a comedy only. To soothe an Arab Country's feelings (oil concerns too) the USA must send the Notre Dame football team there to play the Arab team (and hopefully the Arab team to win). Richard is the coach of the Arab team and Shirley is one of his players. The movie is meant to be funny and not taken seriously. Peter Ustinov plays the Arab King Fawz and he is outstanding. Dick Clark plays a CIA agent and referees the game.
He was a great actor and comedian also but never hit it big but he was in lots of movies in his career even though he usually just appeared briefly as character actors. He was kept busy and made the most of his appearances and was very funny and good in them. Plus he sometimes had serious roles. He is very funny as the game's referee. This movie should be watched when you get a chance.

PurpleFreddy
05-22-2006, 09:41 AM

10.the little giants
9. the longest yard
8. radio
7. the replacements
6. any given sunday
5. varsity blues
4. remember the titans
3. friday night lights
2. brian's song
1. rudy

Uggh ... You put "The Replacements" and "Varsity Blues" ahead of "The Longest Yard?" Are you on crack?

Here is my own

10. All the Right Moves
9. Necessary Roughness
8. The Best of Times
7. Wildcats
6. Brian's Song
5. Jerry Maguire
4. North Dallas Forty
3. Everybody's All American
2. Rudy
1. Remember the Titans

Bullaholic
05-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
These probably wouldn't make the top ten and are probably unknown to a lot of the younger ones here but if you get a chance to see these older movies you should do so because they are very good.

The Rose Bowl Story with Marshall Thompson (most famous for tv series Daktari in 1960s) made in 1952. It also stars Vera Miles and a 12 year old Natalie Wood as Vera's little sister.

All American with Tony Curtis and the great Michigan halfback sportscaster Tom Harmon as himself. This movie was made in 1953. It also stars the blond bomdshell Mamie Van Doran as Susie Ward.

Father Was a Fullback with Fred MacMurray and Maureen O'Hara made in 1949. Natalie Wood plays one of their daughters.

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home with Shirley MacLaine and Richard Creena made in 1965. This movie is a funny movie meant to be enjoyed as a comedy only. To soothe an Arab Country's feelings (oil concerns too) the USA must send the Notre Dame football team there to play the Arab team (and hopefully the Arab team to win). Richard is the coach of the Arab team and Shirley is one of his players. The movie is meant to be funny and not taken seriously. Peter Ustinov plays the Arab King Fawz and he is outstanding. Dick Clark plays a CIA agent and referees the game.
He was a great actor and comedian also but never hit it big but he was in lots of movies in his career even though he usually just appeared briefly as character actors. He was kept busy and made the most of his appearances and was very funny and good in them. Plus he sometimes had serious roles. He is very funny as the game's referee. This movie should be watched when you get a chance.

Phil.....you forgot one on the "classic" football movie list---"Knute Rockne-All-Amrican" starring Ronald Reagan as "the Gipper".

HPLJ6L
05-22-2006, 11:09 AM
10. Boyz N the Hood - just as much a football movie as Replacements, Maguire or Waterboy.
9. The Junction Boys - Gig 'Em, true story
8. The Program - real college football
7. North Dallas 40 - real cowgirl football, maybe true story
6. Any given Sunday - real pro football, fake story
5. Johnny B. Good - real high school recruitment, fake story
4. Friday Night Lights - real high school football, fake story
3. Varsity Blues - really accurate
2. Rudy - real heart, real story
1. Remember the Titans - really happened

neck_06
05-22-2006, 12:02 PM

10.the little giants
9. the longest yard
8. radio
7. the replacements
6. any given sunday
5. varsity blues
4. remember the titans
3. friday night lights
2. brian's song
1. rudy

thats crap, where is Necessary Roughness?

Go Fighting Armadillos!!!

Bullaholic
05-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
One wonders why Knute Rockne isn't on the list.

Sorry, Phil...I didn't notice you mentioned "Knute Rockne" before I posted below.

injuredinmelee
05-22-2006, 12:51 PM
I didnt like the following movies:
Rudy, Varsity Blues, Any Given Sunday

Rudy was just goofy.

Varsity BLues was so overblown and steroetypical.

A G S was just stupid.

The Program I enjoyed but a tad overblown.

Highschoolfan78
05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
ok im not on crack, i guess i am a moron for those but i wanted people to list theres so possibly i could look into seeing more.. sheesh last time i start a thread lol.. I feel like bush at a petroleum convention

mustang04
05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
i liked varsity blues cuz it didnt sugar-coat highschool football, along with friday night lights

Bullaholic
05-22-2006, 01:40 PM
ok im not on crack, i guess i am a moron for those but i wanted people to list theres so possibly i could look into seeing more.. sheesh last time i start a thread lol.. I feel like bush at a petroleum convention

Live dangerously, Hsf78.....put up your own football poll and you'll really feel like yesterday's newspaper in the bottom of a birdcage. :D

Buccaneer
05-22-2006, 01:52 PM
1. Brian's Song
2. Remember The Titans
3. Varsity Blues
4. The Replacements
5. Necessary Roughness

big daddy russ
05-22-2006, 02:52 PM
1. Brian's Song
2. Rudy
3. The Last Boy Scout (it's based around an NFL owner and an ex-player... good enough for me)
4. Varsity Blues
5. Remember the Titans
6. All the Right Moves
7. The Longest Yard (the new one)
8. Necessary Roughness
9. Jerry Maguire
10a. Replacements
10b. Heaven Can Wait

I didn't like North Dallas Forty as much as most people, and the new Longest Yard is better than the old one. Friday Night Lights is probably my next-favorite, but reading the book beforehand spoiled the movie for me. Little Giants was good, too.

Chris Hart
05-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Remember the Titans #1 no doubt about it...

I love when the coach gets ticked and says " I don't want them to gain another yard, I want them to remember forever the time they played the Titans" or something like that, lol. Classic!:clap:

PurpleFreddy
05-22-2006, 03:00 PM

Yeah, I kinda jumped the shark on that one. Sorry.

Thanks for the thread, BTW.

wedo
05-22-2006, 03:39 PM
1. Rudy
2. Varsity Blues
3. Friday Night Lights
4. Remember the Titans
5 Neseccary Roughness
6. The Program
7.The Longest Yard
8.All the Right Moves
9. The Replacements
10. Any Given Sunday

Highschoolfan78
05-22-2006, 04:08 PM
its ok.. haha.. i did drink 4 red bulls in 30 minutes once.. but im not on crack

Bull's-eye
05-22-2006, 04:53 PM
A real oldie was Jim Thorpe--All American, starring Burt Lancaster. It does cover more sports than just football. One of the best parts is when the track coach brings only 2 competitors to a meet. The coach says something like "He runs the mile and 2-mile and he does everything else" (pointing to Jim Thorpe).

hutex04
05-22-2006, 05:21 PM
i dont know if i can name 10 football movies ive seen???
ill just name the ones i know.

1. FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, texas highschool football. Fake story and they exagerated things. But still a great movie and love the music in the movie
2. WATER BOY, iam surprised no one has said this one yet. That movie is awsome! haha
3. RUDY, classic
4. Remember the titans
5. The Replacements
thats all i can think of right now...

wedo
05-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Friday Night Lights, Remember the Titans, The Program have the best scenes on the field!!!

LH Panther Mom
05-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by HPLJ6L
10. Boyz N the Hood - just as much a football movie as Replacements
:thinking: :thinking: Now, I know I'm "old", but my memory's not completely gone. In 1987, there was an NFL strike and for several games, "scabs" were used. October 4 was known as "1st Scab Sunday" or "Replacement Sunday". :p

piratebg
05-23-2006, 07:41 AM
10. Waterboy
9. Any Given Sunday
8. Necessary Roughness
7. The Program
6. The Longest Yard 1974
5. The Replacements
4. Rudy
3. Varsity Blues
2.Remember the Titans
1. Friday Night Lights

pancho villa
05-23-2006, 07:54 AM

I liked the thread.

gato 76
05-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Friday Night Lights, Remember the Titans, The Program have the best scenes on the field!!!

Your right Wedo,The Program was a very good football movie.

PPHSfan
05-23-2006, 06:53 PM
The little giants?

Your'e kidding right?

The best football movie of all time? ............................ Debbie Does Dallas.:D

mustang04
05-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
The little giants?

Your'e kidding right?

The best football movie of all time? ............................ Debbie Does Dallas.:D

AMEN...... and Debbie must have been the QB cuz she kept gettin 'sacked':D

smustangs
05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I didnt like the following movies:
Rudy, Varsity Blues, Any Given Sunday

Rudy was just goofy.

Varsity BLues was so overblown and steroetypical.

A G S was just stupid.

The Program I enjoyed but a tad overblown.

varsity blues was a great movie i loved it
ags was great to "dont drop me boys im worth a million dollars."
rudy was alright

pirate4state
05-23-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of Rudy. :( I think it has more to do w/ Sean Austin and the horrible acting, then the actual story. I read Friday Night Lights so the movie was a big disappointment.

1. Remember the Titans
2. Dazed & Confused - Hey Randle "Pink" Floyd has to decide if he is gonna play :D
3. Varsity Blues - funny movie - gotta love Tweeder!!
4. The Last Boy Scout and
5. Little Giants

TPlinebacker53
05-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Remember the Titans is the best football movie there is