PDA

View Full Version : Baccalaureate

LHMom
05-21-2006, 10:36 PM
So this evening I attended the Baccalaureate service for my youngest son's class. I must say I was terribly disappointed in the attendance. 2 years ago when my oldest graduated, it was standing room only in the church. Today, I would estimate that only about 40% of the graduates were there, and there was plenty of available seating.

I know it is considered voluntary at our school. Is this level of participation common???

kaorder1999
05-21-2006, 10:46 PM
what the crap is that? we didnt have one of those when i graduated

MHSvarsity2007
05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
i dont think a lot of our seniors went. they were talking about it last week and they said they weren't going.

big daddy russ
05-21-2006, 10:52 PM
It was big for my little sister, brother, and me. I don't think anyone in our senior class skipped out, but that was a long time ago in a land far, far away.

District303aPastPlayer
05-21-2006, 10:55 PM
i had to cover a shift tonight at work, as did another girl, because of the ceremony. the entire senior class went... ours is held in our auditorium.

big daddy russ
05-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i had to cover a shift tonight at work, as did another girl, because of the ceremony. the entire senior class went... ours is held in our auditorium.
Yeah, ours was always in the HS Cafetorium.

chs_#75
05-22-2006, 01:20 AM
i missed mine today cuz i had work.. i heard a lot of our seniors didnt go... im new at the job... so i couldnt ask off... so i was kinda in a bind...

exbccards76'smom
05-22-2006, 05:31 AM
This was a tradition where I lived for years, until a few seniors objected to it. They pitched a fit about being "forced" to listen to a sermon(or having to go to church). So it was cut out.

pancho villa
05-22-2006, 08:16 AM
great turnout for my daughters last night.

Phil C
05-22-2006, 08:30 AM
A lot may not have come because since it was so crowded two years ago and had seating problems they probably figured it would be the same thing and decided what's the use.

ILS1
05-22-2006, 08:47 AM
When I graduated it was held in the school cafetorium and it was MANDATORY for all of us to attend. Or we didn't walk at graduation!!!

:D

wyliegrad04
05-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Wylie's turnout has always been good ... I've been the past 7 graduations/baccalaureates and turnout has been good. can't think of a senior who didn't come to mine when i was a sr

44INAROW
05-22-2006, 11:02 AM
It is done by the individual churches here in Cuero - usually the weekend before graduation

Bullaholic
05-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
It is done by the individual churches here in Cuero - usually the weekend before graduation

Sad to watch another of our "old" traditions fade away. I hope the new generation is able to generate worthy traditions of their own so they can talk about the "old" days like I do when they get older.

I sat watching my grandaughter and grandson play in my front yard at dusk last evening and I couldn't help but ask to myself---Where are the fireflies and the ice cream man?

AP Panther Fan
05-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Sad to watch another of our "old" traditions fade away. I hope the new generation is able to generate worthy traditions of their own so they can talk about the "old" days like I do when they get older.

I sat watching my grandaughter and grandson play in my front yard at dusk last evening and I couldn't help but ask to myself---Where are the fireflies and the ice cream man?

lol:D

Scary to think of what the old days will be to the youth of today. It could be something like...."wow, remember when we listened to ipods and everyone had a myspace"....:doh:

pirate4state
05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
lol:D

Scary to think of what the old days will be to the youth of today. It could be something like...."wow, remember when we listened to ipods and everyone had a myspace"....:doh: If they are able to hear! They play those things so loud. :doh: Dang...I'm getting old! :(

LH Panther Mom
05-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by LHMom
So this evening I attended the Baccalaureate service for my youngest son's class. I must say I was terribly disappointed in the attendance. 2 years ago when my oldest graduated, it was standing room only in the church. Today, I would estimate that only about 40% of the graduates were there, and there was plenty of available seating.

I know it is considered voluntary at our school. Is this level of participation common???
That's sad to hear. :( I know in 2003, it was SRO.

football4life
05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Ours was packed yesterday at the biggest church in town. I'd say we probably had 75-85 % of our class there, which is usual.

Buccaneer
05-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Did anybody here go to Sinton's last night? My son is graduating but he decided not to go and that was fine with me.

KTJ
05-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Gainesville's is usually held in the auditorium. It's usually well attended by the public.

AggieJohn
05-22-2006, 03:43 PM
these things are so old fashioned